[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - My new Hairy Eyeballs [quad]

My new Hairy Eyeballs [quad]

Show us your flight videos and pictures of your aircrafts

My new Hairy Eyeballs [quad]

Postby Max » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:02 am

Hi all,

Got a new little test AQ up and running while my Y6 is "in the shop." Mission: firmware development/testing/debugging rig. Test pilot on-board -- meet Hairy! :D Getting it dialed in -- it's pretty close now, almost ready to fly some missions.

IMGP2378.jpg

Quad X, ~55cm, ~52oz AUW with 4Ah 3S LiPo (40oz w/out battery), KDA 22-15 motors, flashed HK Blue ESCs, 10x4.7 APC props, FrSky D8R-XP Rx (PPM), ~12min. flight time.

IMGP2408.jpg

Motor mix is +/- 100 on all slots. NOT like the quad X example given in the docs. Had to turn Tilt Rate D down to 5180 otherwise it had a hard time maintaining a steady altitude in manual modes -- it was very steady on roll/tilt just "jumpy" on the vertical axis. Adjusted Factor Throttle to match the setup (.55 in my case), but in alt. hold it would still oscillate up/down with high frequency and increasing amplitude, until I turned Nav Speed I down (currently at 1.8 but I think that's a bit low because it is loosing some altitude while in horizontal motion). So far tuning has been minor and easy.

IMGP2431.jpg
IMGP2431.jpg (487.79 KiB) Viewed 5945 times

From the flight logs I spotted a yaw imbalance (wasn't noticeable in flight), then found a motor that was a bit out of horizontal, which fixed that problem (love those logs!). Flying very smooth now. Hopefully I can get a video of it soon. You can tell how good the position hold is because I managed to get a bunch of pictures of it by myself, even at night. :) Won't be much of a camera hauler, at least not with the current setup, although I'd like to set up some kinda small/light gimbal on it.

IMGP2403.jpg

The frame base is a Talon v2 from HK... yeah I know... :oops: but it's actually not a bad little frame and I salvaged it from a local friend who bought it on a whim but had no use for it. It also has a plate from a Talon hexa on there, and of course the CD case. The worst part of the frame would be the motor mounts, which will take exactly one light impact to bend, but I got 6 spares and when those are gone I'm sure I can figure something else out... :) The wheels add some cushion and height, and prevent the "claws" from catching in the ground. I could see a better LG setup in the future though.

IMGP2372.jpg
IMGP2372.jpg (519.75 KiB) Viewed 5945 times

Jury is still out on the AQ mounting system with the rubber standoffs... There are almost no Z vibrations, but the X and Y aren't as good (OK but not great, although I don't have much to compare to)... will try a hard mount to compare. I also tried it with the AQ below the Rx shelf, but that didn't seem to make any difference. Some kind of weight on the AQ board would probably help, but having a hard time coming up with something that I have or could make here with basic tools.

Cheers,
-Max

IMGP2385.jpg

IMGP2388.jpg

IMGP2420.jpg
This is Hairy on drugs... LOL
Max

Re: My new Hairy Eyeballs [quad]

Postby chschmid » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:27 am

love your little guy.

Best
Christof
chschmid

Postby Max » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:09 pm

Thanks :) Hairy was created by my daughter when she was 4 and has been living in my office/man-cave for about 8-9 years. I think he finally found his true calling!

-Max
Max

Postby kinderkram » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:29 pm

Hello to Hairy!
That funny guy looks lie he's having a blast with flying your quad around.
Next: a flight video. ;)
kinderkram

Return to AQ Media Showcase