[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - Gimbal "Speed"/Reaction

Gimbal "Speed"/Reaction

AutoQuad AV/AP settings, gimbal & servo choices

Gimbal "Speed"/Reaction

Postby Johan_vV » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:10 pm

Hi,

Im working on a frame with a gimbal now and noticed that the cam/gimbal remains very stable when there are slow movements, however, when there are faster ones then it feels like its running behind a bit and starts to under/over-correct it self and start swaying.

However, I should also say that im still testing the frame on my work-bench and it has not been in the air yet, so maybe my movements are way to aggresive (meaning that this wont be any problem when flying?).

I attached a laser pointer to a servo and the same behavoir can be seen in this vid (sorry for the cat): http://youtu.be/XOCZUwxHOnE

Is there a way to speed up the gimbal reaction time or would the result above be consireded as fast reaction time which should be sufficiant for providing stable video?

Thanks in advance!
Johan_vV

Re: Gimbal "Speed"/Reaction

Postby chschmid » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:15 pm

Hi Johan

What Servo @ what voltage are you using?

Best

Christof
chschmid

Postby joebar.rc » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:40 am

joebar.rc

Postby Max » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:02 pm

Have you tried adjusting the Gimbal Scale Pitch/Roll settings? The defaults were a bit high (slow) for my 7v Hitec digi servos with belt-drive reduction linkage, especially on the roll axis.

-Max
Max

Postby Johan_vV » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:50 pm

Thanks for your suggestions.

Good point about the voltage to the servo. The Servo i was using in the vid is a 0.15 servo and i think that the voltage is a bit low (feeding it from a battery in this test).

I have faster servos on my gimbal (0.04 sec) and i am powering them with 6 volts and i am seeing the same behaviour on those.

If i understand the wiki correctly the Gimbal Scale only affects the "end-Points" so that it compensates enough for the tilt? - It has nothing to do with the speed that it travels to the desired position?
Johan_vV

Postby Max » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:08 pm

Max

Postby pairair » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:44 pm

I had the same experience. I have a Cinestar gimbal, Freefly 360º servos with external potentiometers, 0.08 sec on 6V. Default scale value would make the gimbal overshoot, so lowered them some to correct angle. Very slow action. Would lowering/raising scale value make it faster without affecting the "end" angle?

/Pär
pairair

Postby Johan_vV » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:44 am

Johan_vV

Postby mr_westie » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:07 pm

Most FC have basic gimbal stablisation routines.
Their primary focus should be craft stability.

To get more than basic gimbal stabilization you have to go for a separate controller.
It does not have to be that expensive.
This is the route I took when I wanted more from my YS-X6.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1710318
mr_westie

Postby pairair » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:23 pm

Hello mr_westie,

I have tried the Multiwii Crius SE too ($30), and the Photohigher Skyline RSGS gimbal stabilizer ($350).
I just believe (hope...) that the AQ6 can do better than what I'm seeing at the moment.

/Pär
pairair

Next

Return to Camera & Gimbal support