[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - simonk esc calibration

simonk esc calibration

Radio, Telemetry, FTDI/USB, ESCs, Motors, etc.

simonk esc calibration

Postby codeforge » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:56 am

hi,
i read many post on how to use simonk esc but i cannot understand how to calibrate it. I have a ppm encoder and i use autoquad formware 6.6 ppm2 for futaba radio. When i give 5% throttle, only 3 motors start and 1 is stop. if i give 15% the all the motors start. I think my esc aren't calibrated but how to calibrate with ppm encoder? i use a futaba t9cp.

how can i do?

thanks
codeforge

Re: simonk esc calibration

Postby kinderkram » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:03 am

Which ESCs exactly do you use?
SimonK's usually don't need to be throttle calibrated.
Otherwise you could use your PWM receiver.
kinderkram

Postby codeforge » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:47 am

i use 25a esc simonk by flyduino:
http://flyduino.net/Flyduino-25A-ESC-SimonK-Firmware

they work great with multiwii, arducopter, naza and wookong.I do the calibration with my receiver in pwm and then i connect the pwm to ppm converter (http://store.diydrones.com/product_p/br-ppme.htm) but when i give throttle not start with others but after that i give more throttle...
codeforge

Postby Teletubbie » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:27 am

There are two types of oscillators for the ATMEL used on the ESC. External Crystal Oscillator Resonator and internal which use a capacitor.
The external is preferred because the throttle range is best kept over time, the internal has a tendency to change.
Therefore you need to recalibrate the external version more often. (You find this info also on SimonK forums)

For next time you can find here if the ESC has a External oscillator:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... ZRlE#gid=0

Always calibrate the ESC's after programming. My experience is that due to component differences the range can be different.

Calibrating (yes do the Ext. and Int. oscillator version!):

ALWAYS TAKE YOU PROPS OFF!!!!!

Use a normal receiver, connect the ESC to the throttle channel.

> Receiver on.
> Set full throttle stick
> Power the ESC (if the ESC is not powering the receiver add power to the receiver first before you power the ESC)
> Wait for the beep
> Pull stick back to full-low-throttle
> Wait for the Beep(s)
> Ready

Do this for all the ESC, better to do them all because of the possible temp differences between calibration.
(again most of the time not noticeable but I had the experience that the throttle range was different. I did the throttle a week later).

Have fun.

//Frank
Teletubbie

Postby Max » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:43 am

Last edited by Max on Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fix pwm value ranges
Max

Postby Teletubbie » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:30 am

One of my best buy is a Whisker LCD. Beside a lot of other functions it has a pulse monitor, very handy
if you want to know the output from your receiver or FC.
Attachments
textstar-with-servo-signal-on-white300x228.jpg
textstar-with-servo-signal-on-white300x228.jpg (39.31 KiB) Viewed 23187 times
Teletubbie

Postby Max » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:28 am

Hey that's a nice tool! Looks very handy.

Thanks,
-Max
Max

Postby Teletubbie » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:54 am

And if you are handy programming a Adruino you can use it as serial terminal:

As a Serial Display
If the module is to be used either as a simple LCD display then only three wires are required –
Ground (-ve), Power (+ve), and signal (received signal/data).

If you want the serial display to act as a terminal, i.e. both displaying data from the host and sending data
back when the keys are pressed then a fourth wire is required (transmitted data).

Example:
http://translate.google.com/translate?j ... ation.html

--Frank
Teletubbie

Postby codeforge » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:33 pm

thanks for the reply,
i try to use one arduino board and the serial monitor of the ide to check te pulse out from my receiver.

i use autoquad firmware ppm2 from one of user in this forum and the radio signal work very well.
codeforge

Postby codeforge » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:52 pm

i do the calibration again (thanks teletubbie) and all work fine. Now i have others problems :) the quad is stable and get hovering with slow response from radio or maybe quad slow to response to transmitter but i post it in pid tuning.

Thanks again for help :)
codeforge

Next

Return to Connections