Can't get a stable hover in manual mode

Static, Dynamic, Log File Analysis, Troubleshooting

Can't get a stable hover in manual mode

Postby bavaria360 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:31 pm

I just start to learn about the configuaration of the AQ, so please be gentle ^^

I have a small quad to get my head around configuration of the AQ.
I bought it second hand and so far I was able to configure it to my RC and first flights were more or less successfull.

Unfortunately I can't get it to hover properly in manual mode.
According to the Wiki I've calculated throttle scale and Deadband is at about 50.
In GPS mode it works fine and the stick is as centered as it can get.
But as soon as I switch to manual mode it is just between two ticks that the ship either lifts or sinks.
What can I do?

The straight line at the end is during hover in GPS, the ups/downs before show my stick adjustments when trying to hover in manual.

Thank you
bavaria360

Re: Can't get a stable hover in manual mode

Postby LPR » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:55 pm

Welcome to the AQ forum.

It looks like your quad is working well. Controlling a quadcopter in manual flight mode takes some practice. There is not an altitude hold flight mode currently so to hold altitude it's up to the pilot to adjust the throttle to maintain altitude.

It just takes some time to get use to controlling altitude. Consider it a challenge.

All pilots should be able to fly in manual control because GPS is not completely consistent. You need to able to control your quad when you lose GPS signal.

Soon you will be able to fly in a altitude hold flight mode that uses the barometer to help keep an AQ controlled copter at a set altitude. You will need to load new firmware to get that feature when the firmware is available.

Larry
LPR

Postby bavaria360 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:28 pm

Oops, so that means there is no way to manually adjust altitude to a "constant" value?

I have no problem flying in manual mode but with height constantly changing it indeed is a challenge :D
Some assistance from a barometer would be much appreciated then.
bavaria360

Postby Max » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:48 pm

No, having to "chase the throttle" can usually be tuned out. My good flyers will hover steadily w/out any throttle input or AH mode. Assuming this isn't the first time you flew a heli/VTOL craft manually, it should be better than it sounds.

You most likely have some vibrations in the frame which is causing the AQ to be a bit "nervous." If you're flying PID controller, usually turning down Tilt Rate D helps. Have you done any tuning at all?

However we'd need a lot more information to help troubleshoot further -- pics, logs, settings, video if you have it. We can often tell a lot from how it sounds in the air.

Cheers,
-Max
Max

Postby bavaria360 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:02 pm

Thank you, Max, will check your points and send info.
Haven't done any tuning so far a) because I bought it second hand and b) I wouldn't know what to tune, which - as mentioned - is why I bought it, so I can learn.
bavaria360

Postby bavaria360 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:29 am

What would be a meaningfull value for Tilt Rate D?
It was set to 12000 and I reduced it to 6000 without showing any difference.
Was traveling last week and couldn't do any further investigation, will try to post screenshots with other settings during the weekend.
TIA - Jürgen
bavaria360

Return to Calibration