Adding a remote reset switch (is this a bad idea)

Info and discussion about the original AQ v6 flight controller

Adding a remote reset switch (is this a bad idea)

Postby whizz101 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:19 pm

Hello all,

I have made a very minor modification to my AQ6 board. i have added a second reset switch, soldered in parallel to the original. It is so i can reset the board in the field without the need to remove the plastic dome that prevents me getting to flight board, and it was always a little tricky using the original switch.
My new switch is located next to my receiver now and the cables connecting it run along with the s-bus lines connecting the AQ6 to the reciever.

It all works great, however it has occured to me that should there be a problem with my mod, i could end up having an accidental reset in mid flight. Not good on a 8kg hexa.(or anything for that matter)

I am happy with the soldering work i have done and the switch is one i removed from an old alexmoss gimbal board, so should be ok.
What i was worried about was some possible interference on the cables connecting the switch? I was hoping someone could give me there opinion? Is this safe, or a terrible idea!

I should also explain the need for my mod- I am using menno's Hott firmware and using the ESC calibration he built into it(very usefull).I am using t-motor esc's. The calibration works great, however i often get an issue when powering my hexa that the esc's don't initiate properly, and i have to do a reset to get the esc's work.

What i would really like is the ability to do a reset from the android ground software, but as far as i know this is not possible. It is possible from my pc, but i dont take that flying with me...

All advice ,or opinions would be appreciated..
whizz101

Re: Adding a remote reset switch (is this a bad idea)

Postby JussiH » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:08 pm

You probably wont have a problem. All the reset button does is to pull the NRST pin to GND when pressed.

The NRST pin is also available on the SWD (debug) header. I have made external reset buttons this way back in the days before there was a way to reset from QGC and I didnt have problems with it.

Keep the wire away from current carrying supplies and keep the wires as short as possible.
JussiH

Postby sandmen » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:56 pm

To add the reset button to Android APP, is not a big deal.
Will do that for next version..
sandmen

Postby whizz101 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:02 am

thanks Jussi for those words of advise. Makes me feel a bit better about it all....

And also thanks sandman, having it in the android app would be great...
whizz101

Return to AutoQuad 6 Flight Controller