M4 Beta and Taranis - which DSM-Mode ?

Info and discussion about the autonomous Micro FC, suitable for nanos, micros and mini multirotors

M4 Beta and Taranis - which DSM-Mode ?

Postby Crizz » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:12 pm

Hi Folks,

i finally decided for a Taranis and woudl even like to fly my m4 with it (its one of the last Beta-Boards with Deltang-Receiver onboard). Does anybody know which DSM-mode it supports ? I would guess DSM2 1024 but not sure if even DSM2 2048. I have the issue that i got it connected with DSM2 1024, but have big fluctuiation on signal strenght ( between 75 and 100% bouncing). When i switch the ORX Transmitter module to DSM2 2028, signal strength is constantly at 100% - but controls do not match any longer.

MAybe its a faulty setup on the transmitter settings in my Taranis, can anybody say more about it ?
Crizz

Re: M4 Beta and Taranis - which DSM-Mode ?

Postby Crizz » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:28 pm

fixed the problem meanwhile - it was sitting in front of the transmitter and has forgotten to turn-off the internal tx-module :oops:

DSM2-1024 is correct and works fine now. Only thing i have to figure is why my Ladybird does not switch to pos-hold when i turn off the transmitter (failsafe, set to Pos-Hold on stage one and RTH on stage 2 - any ideas ? radio signal shows 0 when i turn off, so normally it should do the f/s-action programmed at GCS ? )
Crizz

Postby LPR » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:49 pm

Criz

Failsafe is triggered by a "0" for signal strength, not by the receiver's output.

Your AQ FC controlled copter will fly according to your settings for failsafe and ignore your receiver's output.

Larry
LPR

Postby Crizz » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:10 pm

shouldnt i see any status like for the RTH-switch when it turns to f/s ?

btw, i was happy too quick : the problem with the radio strength is still the same. Damn.... have no clue what it is, will check back with my Dx6 if its the same - maybe it´s just a bad rx-antenna .
Crizz

Postby LPR » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:19 pm

I haven't used failsafe too often so I'm not sure if you get a message while in failsafe. Failsafe can be set to RTH or RTH with a set altitude so failsafe is different than RTH in a few ways.

Larry
LPR

Postby Crizz » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:29 pm

my question is if i see while connected to GCS an action when i switch to f/s. I´m sure about it. My thoughts were that there might be thw switching to RTH would also be signed like when switching manually. Its a bit tricky just to trust & try in the field....
Crizz

Postby Crizz » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:13 pm

okay, here we go again.......

figured that the Taranis has as preset a value of 22.5 ms for frametime and 300 µs for .... ? Sync ? Don´t know....

When i bind with my Dx6i, transmitter says anything about DSM2-mode, 22 ms, 1024 resolution.

So i changed the 22.5 ms setting in the transmitter to 22.0 and now signal strength only varies between 95...100%

This makes me thinking that maybe the 300 µs setting may be not fits the Deltang-receiver to get best performance. Does anybody knows more about the settings required, so i might be able to change it on my transmitter ?

btw :

after that changes, in GCS the display for Normal - PosHold - Mission goes from normal to PosHold when i switch off the transmitter, so failsafe stage 1 is executed. The only thing missing is a motion at the RTH.switch display for f/s stage 2. Would there even displayed the switching to RTH-function ? If so, this may could be also in relation to the 300 µs-setting, i guess.

Any help is appreciated !
Crizz

Postby Max » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:54 am

Crizz, if you mean the AQ "radio quality" is varying between 95 and 100%, that's acceptable (assuming all the controls are right otherwise).

The Taranis external module settings you're referring to only affect communication between the Tx and the module itself (it uses a PPM stream). It will not affect how the Tx module communicates with the Deltang Rx (or any Rx for that matter). The only (possible) exception is setting the number of channels being sent to the module.

To test AQ failsafe, turn off your Tx and make sure AQ radio quality goes down to zero. This means AQ will properly detect radio loss. AQ will report going into failsafe stage 1 and 2 via mavlink messages (watch the text console in QGC) and also the status in QGC (in the topmost toolbar) should show an emergency condition.

HTH,
-Max
Max

Return to AutoQuad M4 Micro Controller