[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - ESC32V3 Jumpersettings and Featurerequest

ESC32V3 Jumpersettings and Featurerequest

Info and Discussion about the ESC32 hardware and software

ESC32V3 Jumpersettings and Featurerequest

Postby HubiBagi » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:58 pm

Hello,
after burning one V3, i take care with the second. I killed one highside fets during reducing the pwm with servotester.

i have some question about the VBat jumper. The Vbat side soldered powers the Controller and the 5V Pin (Servocable) from Battery. The middle of Jumper is connected to 5V (Servocable). Is this right ? What is connected to the other side of the jumper ? Where are the 5V from USB connected ? is the supply seperated with diodes ?.

At the second ESC32V3 i have soldered only pulse and gnd to the esc. It survived all tests with different motors and loads.
During the tests, i recognized that sometimes the motor stops very hard with full brake and stays braked. Special for non copter use, i would preffer no brake (spin free at motor off command). It would also prevent from damage the glued magnets.

Another question is , how long is the time with no pulses from the receiver , that the controller disarms ?
During tests twice i had the problem with disarm coming from brownouts of the DSM2-SAT/FBL-System . But this is not a problem from the esc. 1,7ms signal to the Esc , brownout no Pulses, then 1,7ms pulses. ESC disarmed , Motor stops andnot starting again.
If the development Team is interested , i have made some pictures of the burned ESC32.
sorry for my bad english.

best regards

Stephanos
HubiBagi

Re: ESC32V3 Jumpersettings and Featurerequest

Postby chschmid » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:56 pm

Hi Stephanos

I am sorry for your loss. Please post everything you have here. This way others can use your findings.
The Wiki should answer most of your questions.

"Logic Power Selection
The power for the logic of ESC32v3 can come both from 5V or main battery supply. Since its supplied by a Buck converter there is no problem with supplying the power to the logic from the main battery.
To select supply from main battery, close the Vbat side of the solder jumper:
Even with Vbat side closed, you can still supply 5V onto the PWM, Serial or CAN interface and power the logic this way when main battery is disconnected. This can be handy if you need to configure the ESC without main power connected."

Cheers
Christof
chschmid

Postby kinderkram » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:31 pm

Hi Bagi, welcome to the AQ forums!

Yes please post your pics - but you will need another post to be allowed to attach pictures here due to anti spam.

btw: did you already connect the ESC to the GUI to check the settings/parameters?
kinderkram

Postby Max » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:50 pm

Hi Stephanos,

You can turn off braking by changing the "Braking" setting in the setup GUI to "Off." Via CLI the parameter name is ACTIVE_FREEWHEEL (set to zero to disable it).

Cheers,
-Max
Max

Postby HubiBagi » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:16 am

Hi Max,
i know the active_freewheel parameter. But disabling this feature i loose the damping and the cooler running driverstage.

cheers,
Stephanos
HubiBagi

Postby Manu » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:22 pm

Hello there.
Regarding +5V on the PWM side, I think it is not that clear. When powered from Vbat, we do get +5V on the PWM middle pad. Is there a diode here? I believe not since I was able to power my RX from the servo cable...

I will remove the +5V between ESC and receiver, since I have no idea what will go on when the ESC32's buck will send +5V on the rail powered by another BEC in my system. :roll:

Is the ESC32 also trying to feed 5V on my computer when I plug USB + Battery? If there is no diodes to prevent current flowing from ESC32 to 5V rail, maybe it is better not to use the Vbat position...

I think some clarification on the wiki could be a great improvement. If we can just add a shottky diode on +5V servo cable and use all ESC mounted on the copter as redundant 5V supply, it could be nice to know ;)
Manu

Postby Manu » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:47 pm

Is there anybody out there?
Manu

Postby LPR » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:14 am

Stephanos

You can power the Esc V3 with Vbat and use USB power without any worry about the two voltages having a problem.
Larry
LPR

Postby Picare » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:16 am

Hi, I've got a different behaviour:
Soldering the vbat or 5v jumper lead to the same thing: logical part is powered by the 5v of pwm or USB.
If I don't connect to USB or don't connect5v of pwm, the esc is off...

I wanted to power the logical part with my battery as I wanted to power the esc tester which will be converted to a thrust command with the esc, and not a 5v bec.

My configuration: 4s battery connected on + and - , esc tester connected on pwm and thrust command on esc tester.
Vbat soldered

This configuration is for an electric bike.

Another question: any way to stop the motor when main voltage is under 12v for example? This would prevend damaging the battery...

Thanks for your help!
Pierre
Picare

Postby JussiH » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:20 am

Do you have the side of the solder jumper closest to the SWD connector closed? Can you post a photo?

There is no option to shut down the ESC when battery is under 12V. You will have to use a battery alarm.'

To answer your question from the other thread about current sensing: ESC32v3 does not have temp compensation for the ADC that monitors current. That means you can be a little bit off, if the ESC is either cold or warm. Usually the reading wont be off more than about 1A, but I am wondering why it goes to negative, I cant remember seeing that before, but in theory it could happen.

If the solderjumper setting is correct as stated above, it seems there is a problem with the 5V converter on your ESC and you need to ask for an RMA from your supplier.
JussiH

Next

Return to ESC32