[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - AutoQuad 6: End of Beta

AutoQuad 6: End of Beta

Info and discussion about the original AQ v6 flight controller

AutoQuad 6: End of Beta

Postby kinderkram » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:13 pm

The AutoQuad team is delighted to let you know that we are now ending the beta for the AQ6 controller and ESC32.
In the future we will make “release candidates” for the main firmware. These represent stable versions that has been tested by several team members and deemed stable.

AutoQuad will still remain a developmental project, so we still cant give you any guarantees about fitness for a certain purpose or pose any guarantees that there wont be bugs. But the release candidates should be quite stable and all higher revision numbers are labeled “developmental”

We will also very soon be making a Digital IMU available for the AQ6 controller. When this becomes available, we will end support for the analog sensors, and we won’t be able to replace analog sensors in the future. All boards sold from dealers will be with the DIMU in the future.
Of course we will continue to support the AIMU in current and upcoming versions of the code.

The DIMU will make the calibration simpler and it gives better performance in the altitude hold because of a better pressure sensor. Also, with the integrated gyro and accelerometer chip, we don’t have to align these two sensors to each other, and that means a simpler calibration run.

AutoQuad + DIMU + CAN now with very short full calibration (2 min 44 sec)

We are working further on simplifying the calibration – so far a “tare” function has been introduced for the DIMU that allows you to fly the board with just a simple stick combination that temporarily resets all bias numbers to 0. Basically what that means is that you can take a new board out of the box and fly it right away without having to go through a lengthy calibration sequence. But for best performance it is still recommended to do a full calibration.

Autoquad M4 (3 min 42 sec)

We will also soon release a AQ “palm flyer” designated “M4”. It’s a full flight controller with GPS on a palm sized board with 4 coreless motor drivers on board. See photos below. A prototype run has been commissioned from our manufacturer, and we expect the first ones to become available for team members ultimo January, and if all pans out well, we will make it available to the public soon thereafter.
kinderkram

AQ6: End of Beta Questions

Postby DUKE40 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:03 am

Hi,

I read the AQ6 End of Beat announcement and some statements there raised questions, especially the statement that analog sensors will not be supported anymore once the DIMU boards are available.
Does this mean that AQ without the DIMU board will not be able to use newer Releases from the Firmware from that point?
If I decide to add a DIMU to my old AQ Release1, will I have to go again through the full calibration process if I want to have the best possible precision?
How difficult is it to add the DIMU to an old AQ Release1? My soldering equipment and knowledge is rather basic.

Thanks in advance for any answer to those questions.
Best regards,
DUKE40

Re: AutoQuad 6: End of Beta

Postby JussiH » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:20 pm

Of course, Silly of me not to spell that out.

We will continue to support the AIMU in current and upcoming versions of the code.

The only that ends is the HW support, meaning that sensor replacements will not be an option in the future since our stock of the analog sensors are depleted and they are all End Of Life from the manufactorers.

"How hard" is a hard question to answer. If you ask me, its not very hard to add a DIMU and you only need basic soldering tools and skills to do it....I will make a tutor on it for the Wiki.

I will offer a mounting service for those unable or unwilling to do it themselves.

You will need to do full calibration if you want the best results. But as menno showed, the process can be completed in 2.5 hours. The DIMU simplifies the calibration because we dont have to do a lot of alignment calculations for the GYO and ACC, since they are now on the same chip.

Calibration sequence will be further simplified down the line, but I wont state a deadline on it. Most likely we will be able to simplify it further by leaving the temp compensation part out, and we are researching a simple onboard calibration for the mag, so that we can get the sensors "sufficiently" calibrated without having to do involve any postprocessing on a PC.
JussiH

Postby 13brv3 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:24 am

Hi Jussi,

Any guestimate on an ETA for the DIMU mods? No particular hurry, just trying to decide if I should press on with a project I wanted to try, or if I should wait and include the DIMU. The latter would be my preference of course, but if it's going to be a while still, I might go ahead.

Thank,
Rusty
13brv3

Postby JussiH » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:09 am

I am really hoping that DIMU will be soon. Its in the production queue, But our manufactorer is also tied up with other projects for us. Primo february is my best estimation now.
JussiH

Postby Trnquill » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:00 am

Will that be the time frame when all new AutoQuad boards sold by for example Viacopter will have the DIMU (or digital sensors directly on main board?) factory mounted?
Trnquill

Postby Crizz » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:14 am

I´m actually building up my AQ6 as an x8 (Koax-Quad). When adding the DIMU on the fully calibrated copter, is a complete new calibration required, or is there any seprate procedure to calibrate the added DIMU ?

Or : does the DIMU completely replaces the AIMU on the AQ6 ?
Crizz

Postby Max » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:03 am

Hi Crizz, welcome. DIMU completely replaces AIMU on AQ6 (not physically, but in terms of use). A new calibration is needed.

However there is a new quick calibration procedure for the DIMU (called "tare") which involves just placing the copter/board on a level surface and initiating the quick on-board calibration sequence (via RC Tx or QGC software). There is a similar on-board calibration for the MAG sensors as well. This should get you calibrated and flying very quickly.

You can also still do a more complete calibration procedure, like with the AIMU, which may (or may not) further improve the stability/accuracy.

Cheers,
-Max
Max

Postby aBUGSworstnightmare » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:55 am

aBUGSworstnightmare

Postby Crizz » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:36 pm

thx 4 welcome, guys :) Okay, i even have to wait for my power distribution board, so will add the DIMU and try with the quick calibration. Have still to learn alot, even on accessing my AQ6 is a pain in the neck (Mavlink says connected, but param-list says no AQ6 connected - i´m sure it´s only a little that keeps me out ;) )

btw : connected my ESC32 to QGC and it says fw. is 1.4.5082 - i cannot change direction, no popup to select between forward and reverse. Must i first flash a new fw to the ESC ?
Crizz

Next

Return to AutoQuad 6 Flight Controller