[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - onboard magnetic calibration successful?

onboard magnetic calibration successful?

Info & Discussions about good ole AQ6, taken to the next level.

onboard magnetic calibration successful?

Postby DUKE40 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:15 pm

Hi,

now my new AQ is ready evrything looks fine, after TARE the HUD show the AQ as expected.
I also did the onboard magnetic calibration according to the documentation. But How can I check that it was successful?
Is there anything I can check?
Holding the AQ in the hand, it does not seem to correctly hold the position, trying to breakout on one side, a little bit later trying to breakout to the other side, suddenly loosing power.
I have the feeling there is still something wrong. I will try to replace the foam I have put on the baro, but this shold only have an impact on the altitude and not on the AQ remaining level or not.
Would be thankful for any hint or advise.
Best regards,
DUKE40

Re: onboard magnetic calibration successful?

Postby chschmid » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:16 pm

chschmid

Postby DUKE40 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:37 pm

Hi Christoph,

I tried in both manual and Position Hold modus.
I will check both the ACC magnitude and MAG magnitude.
Best regards,
DUKE40

Postby DUKE40 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:44 pm

LOG_IMU_ACCZ is about -9,82
LOG_IMU_ACCX and LOG_IMU_ACCY are about +0,5-+0,7

LOG_IMU_MAGX is about +0,7
LOG_IMU_MAGY is about -0,1
LOG_IMU_MAGZ is about +1,75

Seems MAG mgnitude is outside the mentioned range.

I think I might go for the complete calibartion, just need to Calybso witht he frame ;-)
Best regards,
DUKE40

Postby bn999 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:57 pm

The magnitude of the magnetic and gravity vectors are calculated by taking the square root of the sum of squares of all three axes. For example:

Magnetic vector magnitude = sqrt(MAGX*MAGX + MAGY*MAGY + MAGZ*MAGZ)

With your numbers above, it comes out to ~1.88 or within 6% of ideal.
bn999

Postby DUKE40 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:37 pm

thanks a lot for this clarification. So it seems to be OK.
I am just a little bit uncertain, beacuse of the way it behaved when I hold it in the air with my hand.
It did not seem to be very stable , and looked like it wanted to breakout to one or the other side, it was mostly rolling, nick (pitch) seemed to be more stable.
I will try this weekend the first careful take offs to see if it still behaves like I noticed in my hand.
Best regards,
DUKE40

Postby JussiH » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:04 pm

You cant rely on a handheld test for anything more than making sure that your control directions and mixing is correct. Or at least you would have to spool it up close to hover speed to see if it levels out correctly.

The controller will rigorously fight any outside disturbance trying to get back to level. So unless you are holding it exactly level and spooling up close to hover speed, the handheld test could give results like what you are describing.

You could try tethering the craft on a tight enough leash that it cant flip, but still loose enough that craft can just get off the ground. That will allow you to confirm basic setup is correct.
JussiH

Postby DUKE40 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:35 pm

Hi Jussi,

I will probably use you suggestion to confirm everything is working as expected.
After the latest crash, I do not want to experience anything similar in the near future, it draw me back some weeks.
Best regards,
DUKE40

Postby hogster » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:38 am

Hi guys :)

I did my first onboard magnetic calibration using the new routine on the weekend, and it seemed to work fine. However I could never get the blue GPS LED to stop flashing during the calibration - is that normal? Before I started the calibration the blue LED was solid (as the GPS had a good fix), but no matter how much I waved the frame around during the calibration it would keep blinking at around 1Hz, as if the GPS were waiting for a 3D lock ... but it was shown on the GCS as having a 3D lock!

It seemed to work and my magnetic magnitude vector was within 5% of 2.00, so I figured it wasn't a problem ...

Many thanks :)

David
hogster

Postby DUKE40 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:26 am

Hi David,

I had the same phenomenon, could not get the blue led solid during onboard magnetic calibration.
My results are as well within an aceptable range (6% off ideal value of 2.00).
I have not yet made the maiden flight, as currently I have a lot of work beside my job. Summer has arrived and the garden needs to be prepared for the season. Further it is much too how (35°C) for flying, on our flight area there is no shadow at all and I cannot go there in the evening when it is not so hot.
As soon as I have made the maiden flight, I will report here.
Best regards,
DUKE40

Next

Return to AQ6 +DIMU +CAN