[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - AutoQuad & Spektrum telemetry

AutoQuad & Spektrum telemetry

Radio, Telemetry, FTDI/USB, ESCs, Motors, etc.

AutoQuad & Spektrum telemetry

Postby joebar.rc » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:26 pm

Hi Guys,

A very small preview what I'm working on:

Update jun: attached try out version and some instructions.

Using the Mav2HoTT (plan to rename it to Mav2Telem) and some protocol descriptions on the RCG I'm working on mapping the AQ mavlink data to Spektrum telemetry.
In this vid a very small portion of the data, I have all the Spektrum telemetry modules working on the arduino but I need to map all the mavlink data to it.

Compared to the Graupner HoTT the Spektrum is very limited both in data fields and flexibility, but I will be able to provide data like:
- GPS coordinates
- Altitude
- Speed
- Heading
- Distance to first position
- Bearing to first position
- Current Usage
- Capacity usage
- Main voltage
- GPS acquired satellite time (or maybe the motor runtime?)
- num satellites, but I will be using the hAcc (horizontal accuracy for that, limited to 99cm :) (2 positions)

Stuff like temperature and Volts in the main screen are only possible using the Spektrum sensor delivered with the TM1000. That data is not transmitted on the communication bus.. shame...

For connections: not much needed, the arduino will communicate with the TM1000 bridge using I2C (in 2&3 on pro micro, or 4&5 on pro mini).

So, hope some will like it... Will be ready soon when time permits .........

ps. This is obviously the first attempt, maybe it can be ported to the AQ native but first a I2C slave driver must be developed on the STM32.

Update:

ProMicro_con_spektrum.png

Here you can see how the connections work: (click on the picture for full display!)
Use an arduino pro mini or pro micro. Pro mini uses SCA/SCL pin 4&5, the micro pin 2&3.
The SCA/SCL I2C bux is called xBus on the TM1000 telemetry transmitter, in the picture it is shown how to wire.
The 5V can be pulled from the AutoQuad 5V output if you like or from the Arduino.

In the arduino sketch you can now select the telemetry protocol, so for spektrum comment out the HoTT and uncomment the spektrum (default in attached sketch).
Because the mavlink protocol on the AutoQuad has changed, it now requires requesting the correct telemetry streams FROM the AutoQuad. This means that not only the TX to arduino RX is needed but also the Arduino TX to AutoQuad RX.

Ok, all wired and sketch uploaded to the arduino. First start the AutoQuad controller, attach the arduino with all the needed cabling and watch for mavlink activity (on the pro-micro the left led will display a heartbeat). Attach the TM1000 and on the transmitter select the different telemetry modules you want.
Some samples in the pictures.
What we cannot send is the voltage and current for display in the main screen, that is hardcoded to use fixed wires in the tm1000, we will use the powermodule screen for that.

note: the tm1000 is very picky about timing, in some occasions arduinos boot is to slow for the inventory window (<1s) from the tm1000. In that case either a special bootloader is needed or the TM1000 must be powered or cycled after the arduino boot.
The TM1000 uses around 45mAh so using a straight digital pin from the arduino to power it is not possible. If requested a change in the code can be made to trigger a digiport (with a transistor/fet) after boot so that will power the tm1000 but lets see how it works out..

P1000548.JPG

P1000549.JPG

P1000550.JPG

P1000551.JPG

The files:
ftp://ftp.autoquad.org/3/334693_22529/a ... lem_v1.zip

Unpack all files in a directory and make sure the library files are copied to the arduino library folder.

Menno
Last edited by joebar.rc on Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
joebar.rc

Re: AutoQuad & Spektrum telemetry

Postby kinderkram » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:39 pm

Man, you're faster than light! :D
The Spektrum users will surely like it though the output is limited.

Thumbs up!

Norbert
kinderkram

Postby chschmid » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:27 pm

Hi Menno

I like what I see. Thats what I was waiting for.
Thanks a lot for your effort.

Cheers
Christof
chschmid

Postby aBUGSworstnightmare » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:52 pm

Hi Menno,

GREAT!!!
can you post your current Arduino sketch? I would like to test it on DX8/DX10T and maybe contribute with some C-coding (tests will be conducted on a modified microWii prototype).

I've already prepared my Mav2xx-board for use with TM1000 - it is equipped with a I2C interface with LLC. Boards were ordered; they should arrive at Osh Park on 04/12 and - hopefully - be here by end of April.

large_top.png
large_top.png (187.56 KiB) Viewed 36259 times

large_bot.png
bottom
large_bot.png (206.79 KiB) Viewed 36259 times

Keep up that great work; thumbs up!!
Jörg

EDIT: Boards were on their way! Ordered on 03/25 - shipped on 04/03 --> the fastest production time I had at OshPark so far!
aBUGSworstnightmare

Postby JussiH » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:46 am

Menno, this is way cool! Nice work!

I assume this should work on any telemetry-capable RX; eg AR9020 and AR10000?
JussiH

Postby aBUGSworstnightmare » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:56 am

Hi Jussi,

in principle you could use a stand-alone TM1000 for Telemetry output. But: the TM1000 has a high output power and usually transmits when no data is coming from the TX (synced via DATA port RX-->TM1000).
STAND-ALONE OPERATION OF THE TM1000 IS NOT RECOMMENDED!

In case of - let's call it s 'standard' Spektrum receiver - you would have to use a PPM converter in addition to the ARxx+TM1000.

That's why I want to use AR9020 for this. It allows us to use up to three (you need to connect at least two sats (!) to have the receiver working, means outputting other data than failsafe; confirmed by Horizon Hobby) sat receivers for perfect antenna diversity. It has the DATA port for connecting to the TM1000 telemetry transmitter, and, it has the SRXL-bus which works like a sat receiver (connects to AQ6). This config will give you 12 channels (when bound the AR9020 to a DX10T with X-Bus enabled).
SANY0095.JPG
Spektrum AR9020 with two sats attached; the SRXL bus goes to the AQ6 (via custom cable; power supply comes from a motor output since onboard 3.3V LDO is not sufficient for powering AR9020+2x SAT + TM1000).

Drawback: Radio quality of the SRXL-bus will never go to zero --> Failsafe needs to be triggered via preset failsafe condition (throttle and all other controls centered (depends on your airframe) and Home Action with in LOW position --> RTH in case of a signal loss).
Last edited by aBUGSworstnightmare on Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
aBUGSworstnightmare

Postby joebar.rc » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:48 pm

Small update, mav2Telem is now outputting all available data, but for some reason that I cant find atm the GPS part 2 data (number of sats, altitude and time) is not displayed. In version without mavlink and 'fake' data it is all displayed.
Almost there, but a little hurdle to take :).
Wish that spektrum would follow HoTT, you need a lot of stuff getting telemetry and radio (arduino or i2c slave implemented, tm1000 and receiver) but ok :)
joebar.rc

Postby aBUGSworstnightmare » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:53 pm

Attachments
SANY0103.JPG
Spektrum components for Telemetry
aBUGSworstnightmare

Postby joebar.rc » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:14 pm

Hi joerg,

I'll pack what I have and send it to you so you can check it out. Am not at home right now so I'll do it to tomorrow. Btw, I read that spektrum will release a telemetry enabled receiver in the fall, hope it will have the i2c bus and that satellite protocol on a channel, that will help a lot. Unfortunately it is a high end receiver with included as3x with a premium price, nice for the fixed wings but overkill for us :)
joebar.rc

Postby aBUGSworstnightmare » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:37 pm

aBUGSworstnightmare

Next

Return to Connections