[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - CamCruiser FPV folding quad - Autoquad goes FPV

CamCruiser FPV folding quad - Autoquad goes FPV

Post your build logs here

CamCruiser FPV folding quad - Autoquad goes FPV

Postby aBUGSworstnightmare » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:42 am

Hi,

I will detail my build of an Autoquad 6 based folding quad here which I will use for FPV flying.

The frame is called CamCruiser FPV and is available at http://www.copter4you. An all-CFK version will also be available in the near future.

Some pics of the frame:
CamCruiser_02.jpg
CamCruiser_02.jpg (59.75 KiB) Viewed 33925 times

CamCruiser_07.jpg
CamCruiser_07.jpg (91.2 KiB) Viewed 33925 times

CamCruiser_09.jpg
CamCruiser_09.jpg (97.97 KiB) Viewed 33925 times

The size of the quad is 44x26cm when folded and 51x55cm un-folded.

Here's the 'lineup' of the other components:
- Autoquad 6 FC (what else 8-) )

- ESC32 (CAN-bus, 3x 470µF/35V low ESR caps)

- T-Motor MN3510 630KV (http://www.rctigermotor.com/html/2013/N ... 10/37.html)

- Graupner E-Prop 12x6in (will maybe change to CFK props later on)

- HD Hero 3 Gimbal with 2-axis controller board

- up to two 6000mAH 4S1P Lipos (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ouse_.html) or one 10000mAH 4S1P SLS APL Lipo (http://www.stefansliposhop.de/liposhop/ ... :1094.html)

- some navigation lights and some other gizmos..

I will take some pictures of the frame components later on and keep you posted.
Suggestions are welcome!
Rgds
aBUGSworstnightmare
aBUGSworstnightmare

Re: CamCruiser FPV folding quad - Autoquad goes FPV

Postby Jdmagoo » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:33 pm

My next build will be for FPV, i will indeed be watching this build closely.
Jdmagoo

Postby aBUGSworstnightmare » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:05 pm

So, here's a little 'un-boxing':

SANY0301.JPG
Frame kit delivery contents

All parts were well sealed and grouped together. A paper copy of the preliminary assembly instruction was included; the updated version will be available by this weekend.

SANY0302.JPG
Arm and motor mounting hardware

End caps for CFK arms. A hole for running the wires through will be drilled upon assembly. The motor mounting plates have 19/25mm spaced mounting holes.

SANY0303.JPG
Motor mounting plates

I will not use the small parts since I will add some orientation lights under each motor. I will drill another pair of holes at 25mm since the MN3510 has equally spaced mounting holes.

SANY0304.JPG
Camera mount vibration dampeners

Vibration dampeners for the camera mount and some more hardware of the frame body.

SANY0305.JPG
CFK arms

22/20mm CFK arms. The shorter ones were front, the larger ones aft. They have milled holes for running the motor wires through.

SANY0306.JPG
arm reinforcement

The arms have additional reinforcement in the area of the arm brace to prevent cracks.

SANY0307.JPG
Frame body parts

Overview shot of the frame body parts. There are two upper covers to choose (one closed, one milled).

SANY0308.JPG
Test fitting an arm mount

Test fitting an aft arm. Although the arm braces are very tight, there's a provision for an optional screw to secure the arm in place.

SANY0311.JPG
Blocking rehearsal of the GoPro Hero3 BLDC gimbal

A cheap so-called 'Phantom' Brushless DC gimbal for the GoPro Hero3 will be used. Only the essential gimbal hardware components (aluminum) will be used. At the time of writing it's not known if I will add a support to the lower mount (gimbal weight distribution; 6 dampeners instead of 3).

SANY0310.JPG
BLDC gimbal - view from above

The slots on my upper camera mounting bracket were to narrow for M3 screws, preventing me from assembling it. Will need to use a file here.

SANY0312.JPG
Frame components 'shadowbox'

Mounting hardware and additional components sorted and put away in a 'shadowbox' - awaiting assembly.
aBUGSworstnightmare

Postby aBUGSworstnightmare » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:17 pm

I've downloaded the latest AQ Ground Control Software (V1.3.0 at the time of writing) in order to get started with the Autoquad 6 and ESC32 today.

When trying to start the software it tells me that I will have to install X11 (I'm using an iMac)
x11_install.jpg
x11_install.jpg (35.12 KiB) Viewed 33702 times

I'm on OS X V10.9.1; since X11 is no longer supported by Apple one needs to download it from http://xquartz.macosforge.org/landing/

The installation runs flawlessly and after that QGroundControl is 'ready for duty'!

Since I own an early Rev0 Public Beta board I started with flashing it to the latest firmware. The pre-compiled .hex-file is available from the DOWNLOAD section (http://autoquad.org/software-downloads/?category=3), the process of flashing the boards firmware is described here http://autoquad.org/wiki/wiki/getting-s ... -flashing/

After firmware was flashed successfully I've connected my receiver to the AQ6 and connected QGroundControl to the board.

aq6_firmware flashed.jpg
firmware flashed successfully (refer to Autoquad firmware message)

Now the board is ready for even more configuration/calibration, ...
aBUGSworstnightmare

Using Spektrum SRXL-bus instead of a simple Spektrum Sat RX

Postby aBUGSworstnightmare » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:35 pm

The Autoquad board is configured for using a Spektrum satellite receiver by default. As some of you might have seen from the RADIO CONNECTIONS tab (http://autoquad.org/wiki/wiki/autoquad- ... nnections/) it is possible to add a DIY Spektrum Diversity Board to get a more secure RX connection.

Since I also want to use Spektrum Telemetry (TM1000) this is no option for me! That's why I'm going to use Spektrums own diversity receiver.

:idea: QUESTION MARK :idea: Spektrum has an own diversity receiver??? Yes and No!

I.e. the AR9020 does the trick! You can connect up to three satellite receivers to the RX, it has a data port for telemetry and it also has this 'magic' SRXL bus.
The SRXL bus uses the same format for data transmission as the standard receivers, that's why you can simply hook it to the Autoquad board. It transmits all 18 (!) channels. It also gives you antenna diversity because of the internal and external sats.

Here's a picture of my setup:

SANY0316.JPG
Spektrum AR9020 receiver connected to AQ6 via SRXL bus.

You can use the standard Spektrum telemetry data cable SPMA9550 (http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Defa ... D=SPMA9550) for this connection. By the way: it is the same cable that comes with your TM1000 to connect the telemetry transmitter to the RX telemetry data port. Extension cables were available too.

SANY0318.JPG
SPMA9550 is used to connect the SRXL-bus coming from the AR9020 to the AQ6

I've made a short test what happens in case of failsafe. I simply unplugged one sat after another, the main receiver keeps the link. Switching the TX off lets the AQ6 detect a failsafe condition 8-) (Throttle goes to LOW). Switching it back on will let you regain control.

Conclusion: An Spektrum receiver with SRXL-bus is the best Spektrum diversity solution you can get!
Another benefit: It let's you use Spektrum Telemetry.

P.S. is there any way to see more than eight channels in the QGroundControl RADIO&Controls tab?
Last edited by aBUGSworstnightmare on Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
aBUGSworstnightmare

Postby JussiH » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:53 pm

Joerg, this is a very interesting find. I know Peter is looking into spektrum telemetry also.
JussiH

Postby SuperSharpShooter » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:24 pm

What's the stiffness of this frame like once assembled? Is there any flex through the centre? Eg if you hold the frame between the front and rear arms, can you twist them in opposite directions at all? I have a QAV540g which flexes badly in this way (and the handling sucks because of it) and this frame looks like it could be a potential replacement candidate.
-Glenn
SuperSharpShooter

Postby aBUGSworstnightmare » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:46 pm

aBUGSworstnightmare

Postby kinderkram » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:22 pm

Cool setup and nice build log, Joerg! Thx for that.
Good job on the Spektrum - will transfer it to the Wiki soon...

btw: you can assign 10 channels out of 16 - but only 8 are displayed. Maybe Max could add 2 more bars.
As a workaround you could assign the channel you want to view temporarily to another matching channel and then re-assign it for your purpose.
kinderkram

Postby chschmid » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:44 pm

chschmid

Next

Return to Build Logs