[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - How to flash ESC only?

How to flash ESC only?

Info and Discussion about the ESC32 hardware and software

How to flash ESC only?

Postby djc » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:44 pm

Hi,

I am somewhat confused about the firmware flashing instructions for the esc32 (http://autoquad.org/wiki/wiki/esc32/esc ... -flashing/). The instructions say to use the "Flashing and Setup" tab of the Autoquad main widget and then shows the aqv6.6.hex being uploaded (autoquad firmware). The "esc32 settings" tab also has a flash firmware button, but does not allow you to pick the firmware file to use. I am trying to directly flash the esc using the ESC32v20r49.hex file. I have the esc directly connected to my pc via a usb serial adapter. However, when I try to flash from "Flashing and Setup" tab I get the following error.

stm32flash - http://stm32flash.googlecode.com/
COM3: No error
Using Parser : Intel HEX
Using Parser : Intel HEX
Error device

Is it possible to flash the esc with its firmware individually? From the instructions it seems like I need to have the esc connected to autoquad and then flash with the autoquad firmware and then I am not sure how to upload the firmware for the esc.

Thanks
djc

Re: How to flash ESC only?

Postby bluuu » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:45 pm

probably you must short boot pads to flash fw
bluuu

Postby djc » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:59 pm

I did short the boot pads during power up and it looks like the ESC is in a state for flashing since when I do not short the pads the red light flashes. My issue is if I can use the flashing and setup tab to upload firmware to the ESC instead of the autoquad board. The flash feature under esc32 settings does not allow for a firmware file to be selected.
djc

Postby JussiH » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:11 pm

Yes, you should use the flashing and setup tab. Most likely that has been your issue.
JussiH

Postby Max » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:57 am

What version of QGC are you using? In the 1.3 versions the firmware flashing option has been removed from the ESC32 settings tab to avoid exactly this confusion. In the Firmware Update tab of QGC 1.3 you should clearly see 2 options for which type of firmware to flash (esc32 vs. AQ).

Make sure the COM port you're using isn't already open.

-Max

QGC1.3b2-esc32-flashing.png
QGC1.3b2-esc32-flashing.png (15.92 KiB) Viewed 11345 times
Max

Postby Trnquill » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:08 am

I had to keep the BOOT pad shorted until firmware upload was actually initiated. It looks like the ESC32 booted right before beginning uploading (at least with some firmware or qGC or something). Newer software doesn't need you to short the BOOT pads.
Trnquill

Postby baoxian_zhang » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:18 am

I met this problem using QGC with version 1.3, too. When I changed to the QGC with version 1.2, everything was fine. So maybe what you just need to do is to try different versions of the QGC.
baoxian_zhang

Return to ESC32