[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - Hexacopter build

Hexacopter build

Post your build logs here

Hexacopter build

Postby trypt » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:17 am

Making a build log for my hexacopter.

First batch of parts

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360604677.495386.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360604677.495386.jpg (91.39 KiB) Viewed 23247 times

Done soldering headers to the autoquad and GPS shield

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360616114.691938.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360616114.691938.jpg (89.48 KiB) Viewed 23247 times

Forgot to order the FTDI interface so I had to improvise. Used a FTDI from a Xbee explorer board. Seems to be working fine, flashed firmwire without problems.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360616300.410373.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360616300.410373.jpg (91.73 KiB) Viewed 23247 times

Connected a Spektrum satellite to test, seems to be working OK.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360616372.025713.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360616372.025713.jpg (89.52 KiB) Viewed 23247 times
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360604677.495386.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360604677.495386.jpg (3.57 KiB) Viewed 23247 times
trypt

Re: Hexacopter build

Postby leopold1 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:22 pm

Nice!!

I'm planning the same frame.

Can you tell me what the diameter is of the centerplate is?
What are the arm lengths did you order?

Looking forward to your build!
leopold1

Postby phynix » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:42 pm

Hello,

Interesting blog, nice pictures! I am going to use the same frame, so I am looking forward to see more from you. As kinderkram already called it the "official AQ-frame", I think that also other people appreciate your work.

And I do have already one question: what is the total weight of an X4 frame? What is your impression about it?

Sören
phynix

Postby kinderkram » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:09 pm

Heyhey, nice one!

I got a similar frame (as a quad), same dome, same FC & ESCs but another landing gear.
I took the one from Flyduino: http://flyduino.net/Landing-gear-High-XL-Size
Since Paul refuses to go with my advice offering complete kits I had to add 12mm carbon tubes and plastic caps to make it complete. Leaves enough room for a gimbal, is flexible but strong.

I only need the time to get it airborne... :roll:

btw: which motors are you going to use with it? I got the Tiger MT2216 900kV and I love them! 8-)
kinderkram

Postby trypt » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:25 pm

Thanks! :)

I`m using 34cm booms. I will measure and weigh when I get home.

I haven`t bought landing gear yet. I want the one jussih i using, but they are not available yet.

As for motors, i`m thinking tiger navigator MN3508-16 700kv as I will probably buy a APS-C style camera in the future. I just have to make sure and measure that I can use 12 inch props without any issues on the frame.

Here is a picture of the undone frame

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360620235.839358.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360620235.839358.jpg (91.55 KiB) Viewed 23219 times
trypt

Postby leopold1 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:45 pm

An off topic question. :oops:

Now flying a test quad with AQ and very impressed with the stability, why should one step over to a hexa.
Is it the challenge, flight time, even more stable, ...
I've been thinking about this because there some nice quad frames arround to and in a worst case scenario, when you have a crash it will be less expensive.
Just a thought ...
leopold1

Postby phynix » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:59 pm

In principle, a Hexa can be more stable than a quad. In addition, it offers some sort of redundancy - if one motor fails, it does not flip necessarily (at least in theory). And, if the same motors are used, it has more power, even so a quad with bigger motors might be more efficient. I hope this helps a little bit, but I think others can give more input on this topic.
phynix

Postby axelnied » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:31 pm

axelnied

Postby trypt » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:17 am

The diameter is 14.8cm on the widest part, and the frame with booms and nothing else weights 502g.

Axelnied: Thanks! I just throwed it together so didn´t notice that.
trypt

Postby phynix » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:37 am

thank you very much! Im looking forward to see more of your build.
phynix

Next

Return to Build Logs