AQ6 + ESC32: Motors: cannot find CAN id [1]

Info & Discussions about good ole AQ6, taken to the next level.

AQ6 + ESC32: Motors: cannot find CAN id [1]

Postby b4lrog » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:15 pm

Hello everyone,

my name is Carsten and I'm currently trying to assemble my first quadcopter. Initially i was hoping introduce myself to the forum with a progress of my build. However, I encountered a problem today and after searching the web, this and other forums I would like to ask for your help.

I would like to connect my ESC32 to the AQ via CAN bus and therefore I have a small testsetup:

- AQ6 with Firmware 7.0-EXPR r441
- ESC 32 i flashed it to v20r49, although it still says 2.0.0.6129 when i connect via UART (is this a problem?)

ESC32 has CAN ID 1
AQ currently has only Port1 set to CAN
the flash card has the esc32.txt on board and seems to load

This is the log file I get when I power up the AQ:
Code: Select all
Mavlink init
ADC init
ADC task started
DIMU: read calibration parameters from EEPROM
Battery cells: 3
Radio init
GPS init
Nav init
Command interface init
CAN: Found 1 node type ESC
Motors init
Radio task started
GPS task task started
Motors: cannot find CAN id [1]
Control init
Control task started
Gimbal init
AQ S/N: 36373532-33314716-002B0031
Mavlink SYS ID: 97
SYS Clock: 168 MHz
8212/8212 heap used/high water
32932 of 40960 CCM heap used
Run task started
AQ FW ver: 7.0 - EXPR rev441 b1847, HW ver: 6 rev1
Disarmed
Initialization complete, READY.

(for completeness I added the second 120 Ohm resistor to the R3 slot of the DIMU, checked cables for bad connections, ESC gets power from M10 port and red led blinks when AQ has power)

now I have a few questions:
- why do i get the error: Motors: cannot find CAN id [1] although before it says it found and connected the ESC (is it because the Motor is currently not connected to the battery? the ESC is only connected to the 5V)
- in QGroundControl (V1.6.0) it tells me for ESC Telemetry, that i need AQ firmware 8+, is it currently not possible to show the ESC32 telemetry values also in qgroundcontrol?
- I'm still waiting for the post service to deliver my radio, so currently i cannot try to arm/disarm or start the motors via ground control, is this correct? Is there any other way of checking wether the ESC32 CAN bus connection is fully working?

I would be very glad for any input and help from your side :)

cheers
Carsten
b4lrog

Re: AQ6 + ESC32: Motors: cannot find CAN id [1]

Postby bluuu » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:35 pm

are you sure about wiring ? CAN_L and CAN_H wire ?
bluuu

Postby Max » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:03 pm

Hi Carsten, welcome to the forums.

b4lrog wrote:- AQ6 with Firmware 7.0-EXPR r441
- ESC 32 i flashed it to v20r49, although it still says 2.0.0.6129 when i connect via UART (is this a problem?)

With that AQ fw you need to use ESC fw r58 (build 6185), the latest. That might, or might not, be the source of your problem :) , but you should get those versions matched up.

b4lrog wrote:- in QGroundControl (V1.6.0) it tells me for ESC Telemetry, that i need AQ firmware 8+, is it currently not possible to show the ESC32 telemetry values also in qgroundcontrol?

Yea that feature needs support in AQ firmware, which isn't finished/published yet. "8" is probably wrong though, next version is probably 7.1... whoops!

b4lrog wrote:- I'm still waiting for the post service to deliver my radio, so currently i cannot try to arm/disarm or start the motors via ground control, is this correct? Is there any other way of checking wether the ESC32 CAN bus connection is fully working?

That's correct, and no other way that I can really think of w/out some radio input, sorry.

HTH,
-Max
Max

Postby b4lrog » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:39 pm

Hi bluu and Hi Max,

thanks for your fast replys!

bluuu wrote:are you sure about wiring ? CAN_L and CAN_H wire ?

I wired everything as shown here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3016#p20145 (and tested for bad contacts)

the AQ settings for Can are btw: MOT_CANL = 1, MOT_CANH = 0,

Max wrote:With that AQ fw you need to use ESC fw r58 (build 6185), the latest. That might, or might not, be the source of your problem :) , but you should get those versions matched up.

yeah regarding the updating of the firmware of the ESC32 it turned out that i'm an idiot ... I did not read everything as careful as i though ... ):

I tried to update the firmware of the ESC32, however i never short circuited the boot jumper ... Anyway it according to QGroundControl it did something nevertheless. During the last attempted the ESC32 froze during the process and now not even the red led does power up when i connect it to 5V. Has anyone encountered something like this before?

I guess i should try tomorrow to short circuited the boot jumper and hopefully really flash the FW.

regarding the CAN bus:
in my log it says:
Motors init

does this not mean that it does find a device with can ID 1? I dont understand how it can find the ESC but not the motor, or does "CAN: Found 1 node type ESC" mean that it did manage to get a connection, or is it simply reading this from its settings?
b4lrog

Postby Max » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:01 pm

b4lrog wrote:regarding the CAN bus:
in my log it says:
Motors init

does this not mean that it does find a device with can ID 1? I dont understand how it can find the ESC but not the motor, or does "CAN: Found 1 node type ESC" mean that it did manage to get a connection, or is it simply reading this from its settings?

Quite simply, those are separate steps. The CAN node is found. However the ESC couldn't initialize properly for some reason. Or possibly the communication between the FC and ESC failed, which could very well be caused by the firmware mismatch I mentioned. You could connect to the ESC via serial terminal like PUTTY and issue a "status" command to see what is going on -- it would show you an error code, among other things, if there was in fact some error.

Of course you'll need a working ESC... not sure what is up with that, but try re-flashing by using the boot pads first (normally you don't need to, but obviously something strange happened).

-Max
Max

Postby DUKE40 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:19 am

b4lrog wrote:Hi bluu and Hi Max,

thanks for your fast replys!

bluuu wrote:are you sure about wiring ? CAN_L and CAN_H wire ?

I wired everything as shown here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3016#p20145 (and tested for bad contacts)

the AQ settings for Can are btw: MOT_CANL = 1, MOT_CANH = 0,

Max wrote:With that AQ fw you need to use ESC fw r58 (build 6185), the latest. That might, or might not, be the source of your problem :) , but you should get those versions matched up.

yeah regarding the updating of the firmware of the ESC32 it turned out that i'm an idiot ... I did not read everything as careful as i though ... ):

I tried to update the firmware of the ESC32, however i never short circuited the boot jumper ... Anyway it according to QGroundControl it did something nevertheless. During the last attempted the ESC32 froze during the process and now not even the red led does power up when i connect it to 5V. Has anyone encountered something like this before?

I guess i should try tomorrow to short circuited the boot jumper and hopefully really flash the FW.

regarding the CAN bus:
in my log it says:
Motors init

Hi,

I had a similar issue some time ago, after thorough checking I found out that I had a colder solder on RX. After correcting this, I was able to flash the ESC32 again, and the issue was solved.
So I would recommend checking your solders and flash again.
This should do it.
Further I had such an issue with "Motors: cannot find CAN id [1]" it was due to one of my ESC32 (there were 4 connected) where I had mistakenly switch CANH and CANL, this lead to all ESC32 not being found.
Best regards,
Spacewalk 550, MT2216-11, SimonK 20A ESC, AQ6 DIMU, 10x5" CF, SJ4000
CamCruiser, MN3510, ESC32, AQ6 DIMU, 12x4" CF, SimpleBGC, GoPro Hero 3 BE
DUKE40

Postby b4lrog » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:43 pm

hey hey!

ok so i managed to make it work :) with the Boot jumper i could flash the ESC32 to fw r58 (build 6185) and it worked again as usual :)

CAN Bus then worked also directly in QGroundControl: (all soldering was fine)

Code: Select all
(MAV 097) CAN: Found 1 node type ESC
(MAV 097) Motors init
(MAV 097) ESC32: CAN ID: 1, ver: 2.1.0
(MAV 097) ESC32: CAN updated 2 param(s) in flash

so far so good :) thank you all for your help!

(altough now i have some trouble with my SD card, which either does not logg or it loggs, but does not allow me to access the files in mac os or windows; its a SanDisk Extreme Plus microSDHC 32GB UHS 1 formatted with the SDFormatter, so i thought it should simply work ...)
b4lrog

Postby bluuu » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:04 pm

use "normal" class10 card or e.g lower capacity, i'm using old 4GB toshiba class4 with success
bluuu

Return to AQ6 +DIMU +CAN