[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - Please help - M4v2 wont arm

Please help - M4v2 wont arm

Info and discussion about the autonomous Micro FC, suitable for nanos, micros and mini multirotors

Re: Please help - M4v2 wont arm

Postby LPR » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:44 pm

Erik

Your license is correct because without the correct license the motors won't run.

You might want to get the Orange Tx module instead of using the DM9. That link I gave you earlier said that one or more of the Tx channels need to be changed DM9 in order to use it.

The QGC shows you what the M4 is getting for PWMs for each channel. If the channels are not holding a position then you may need to change to a channel that has good control. The Taranis can change any control to any channel you just have to learn how to do that to be able to use the DM9. The Orange module works easy but you still need to adjust the channels a bit using the Taranis while watching the QGC. Once you have all the channels set to move from - 700 to 700 and the center position at 0 the ladybird should fly well. Of course the throttle goes from 0 to 1400. You won't be able to hit the numbers exactly but you should be able to be within 10 or closer of these values.

Remember you can read the Taranis manual or find Youtube videos to show you how to setup the Taranis.

Congratulations for getting the bird in the air!! Now lets get some control of it.

Larry
LPR

Postby ebross67 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:46 pm

Unfortunately this may be the end to the AutoQuad experiment. I turned on the M4 and armed the bird, while increasing throttle smoke came from the area of M3 motor connector. I reduced throttle picked up the board and realized it was on fire (a tiny flame next to m3 connector on the board). I quickly unplugged the lipo, and blew out the fire. I'm assuming the area where the burn occurred was were the onboard ESCs are situated. I don't know what could have caused it. The wire connected to the motors were in the correct position on the board (no short). Has anybody experienced a bad ESC or a similar situation? I'm wondering if this sounds like a operator error or a defect in the board.
ebross67

Postby LPR » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:26 pm

Erik

I have not been able to get a fire started with an M4 so congratulations. :o

I've not had to fix a brushed ESC for the M4. The one board that had a problem with the ESC I used for a larger quad and the CAN control still work.

Jussi or others on the forum should be able to help you fix your M4.

Larry
LPR

Postby kinderkram » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:59 pm

First time I hear of an M4 motor controller going up in flames, can´t even remember a damaged one. :?

What usually comes to mind is what you already have checked: bad motor, short on the wire or solder remains anywhere near the motor ports or elsewhere...

Where did you buy the board?
kinderkram

Postby bluuu » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:54 am

Post picture of your M4 board. Maybe simple replacing transistor can solve your problem.
bluuu

Postby ebross67 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:23 pm

Thanks Larry, I guess (trouble tends to follow me, lol)!

KinderKram - I bought the M4v2 form ViaCopter.com. I have been messing with the M4board for a couple weeks trying to get it to fly, and in that time no issue with solder or shorts. Before the incident occurred I bought new motors CW and CCW to have as extras. One of my original CCW motor wire broke free from the connector and became loose. I pulled to hard on the wire and not on the plug pulling the wires loose. I replaced it with my new spare (easier than trying to reconnect the wires to the plug). When I turned on the M4v2, armed, and added throttle the smoke and fire occurred next to the M3 motor connector on the board. How do you test the motors before hand? I'm guessing I have a bad motor. Is this something ViaCopter would warranty, or I'm out of luck and will have to drop another 100 bucks for a new board?

Bluuu - I will try and post a pic soon. I did try a 3rd motor and no smoke or fire, but the prop just spun at a low RPM with no input. When I armed the M4v2 and added throttle the other 3 motors spun up and the replaced motor stopped. I know there is damage to the on board ESC. It might work fine if I used an external ESCs. I bought it mainly for a mini quadcopter, so I will probably need to replace it.
ebross67

Postby ebross67 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:27 pm

Here is a pic of the burned out M4. I tried to email Jussi at ViaCopter about the issue, but have not heard back. Is he difficult to get a hold of? You can see that the electronics in the center of the circle are melted. If it isn't under warranty hopefully Jussi will give a discount for a new one.

ebross67

Postby kinderkram » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:39 pm

That looks pretty unusual.
If the traces are still there the board could be revived.
Did you already contact Jussi/Viacopter?
kinderkram

Postby ebross67 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:37 pm

Yes, I'm waiting to here back.
ebross67

Postby LPR » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:37 pm

Erik

I've had one motor that had the wire reversed so the motor turned the wrong way. You might want to check that all the motors turn the right direction. The brushes in the motors are built to work in one direction so if the motor is wired wrong that could cause your problem with the fire.

Larry
LPR

PreviousNext

Return to AutoQuad M4 Micro Controller