[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - u.FL radio and GPS connectors broken

u.FL radio and GPS connectors broken

Info and discussion about the autonomous Micro FC, suitable for nanos, micros and mini multirotors

Re: u.FL radio and GPS connectors broken

Postby LPR » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:12 am

Your problem is the same as I had when I used an antenna that is normally grounded. Your repaired cable is likely grounded to the the cable shield. 3.3 volts that power active GPS antennas is taking too much power to let the M4 board power up.
If you feel the temperature of the resistor that was added to the GPS receiver you will be able to feel where the power is going.

Larry
LPR

Postby Max » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:12 am

So you're powering it via an expansion board which steps the voltage down (like the N4)? What if you remove the expander and just power it via USB?

Larry makes a good point, check if the GPS module is getting warm.

-Max
Max

Postby Patnet » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:11 am

Thanks, Max, Larry.

I removed the GPS antenna entirely and the two coax sockets that I had replaced--GPS and Radio, and now the expansion board. No power at all when powering from USB. I will now try a single cell.
Patnet

Postby Patnet » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:30 am

Well, after removing everything and going to single cell, red (corner) is solid, yellow and green flash as normal. I've got no blue, but I think that might have something to do with one of the two LEDs being missing.

But I don't know what to do next? Maybe put the coax sockets back? What do you guys think? How to troubleshoot now. The board is OK. I don't need the blue LEDs--I use BT to my phone and it notifies GPS locks.
Patnet

Postby aBUGSworstnightmare » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:20 am

aBUGSworstnightmare

Postby Patnet » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:09 pm

Hi, using KISSSYS. I've now cleaned up all the solder joints on the M4 and the M4 board powers up and boots with single cell and also with expansion board along with 3 cell.
The issue is now the GPS. No fix with the new active antenna, or with a dipole. I've destroyed all the coax sockets I ordered now. So need more. Thanks for all your help.

2015-06-10 12.56.50.jpg
2015-06-10 12.56.23.jpg
Patnet

Postby aBUGSworstnightmare » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:00 am

Check the soldering at the GPS! Looks like you've made a short circuit there when you've tried to fix it (replace u.FL connector).
Needs to look like this:
R6modGPS.jpg
R6modGPS.jpg (101 KiB) Viewed 13610 times

From your Picture it Looks likes there a solder blob on the adjacent pin.
What happened to that poor board 'cause it Looks like it's covered with flux? What solder Equipment do you use? Use a tip as thin as possible (0.18mm or 0.4mm but not larger for this Task)
aBUGSworstnightmare

Postby Patnet » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:22 pm

Thanks, aBUGSworstnightmare.

I see what you mean. I'll clean it up, thanks.

Some of what you see on the board may be hot glue residue from the foam used for the barometer, the rest maybe a contaminated alcohol mix in the paint brush I use. I do wash them in alcohol.

I'll try and find a smaller tip. I have the SP23L Weller, which doesn't go too small I think. It's hard to find out which tips fit in which Wellers. I'm using the 1/8-inch I think, which is 3.75mm. There is a 1/62 (0.409) for a Weller, but it's unclear as to whether it's for my iron. I might need another iron.

I'll use some copper tape to remove the bridge.

I also have a hot air station, and it might be the Chip Quik solder that got blown over the GPS module. I was using it to add the coax socket.
Patnet

Postby Patnet » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:12 pm

Fixed. removed solder bridge; replaced coax sockets; replaced receiver wire with connector; replaced GPS antenna with connector. New soldering iron with more wattage..

Bizarrely I'm unable to yaw left (anti-clockwise) after re-building. I've checked motor direction and prop orientation.

Would anyone have any ideas?
Patnet

Postby aBUGSworstnightmare » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:55 pm

aBUGSworstnightmare

PreviousNext

Return to AutoQuad M4 Micro Controller