Possible micro hex using M4 board>

Info and discussion about the autonomous Micro FC, suitable for nanos, micros and mini multirotors

Possible micro hex using M4 board>

Postby Flyer324 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:53 pm

Is it possible to drive 6 dc motors from the m4 board to make a frame fly with a hex pattern of motors? Maybe mix the motors as a Y-3 pattern but have 3 pairs of 2 motors soldered to one plug if that makes any sense.. So you're driving 6 motors with 3 plugs. If each motor driver can handle 5 amps they should be find there as each motor probably only draws 2 amps max.

Thoughts?
Flyer324

Re: Possible micro hex using M4 board>

Postby LPR » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:20 pm

Building an octo using two motors that connects to one motor drive has been done and should not be too hard.

A Hex would be hard and would need two extra brushed motor outputs added. Using two motors on one motor drive would not give you any yaw control.

If you want to be very creative you could add two ESCs and two brushless motors and make a Hex. That might be a bit less challenging but still not easy.

The easy way to get more power is to use bigger brushed motors but that has it's own challenges also.

For a new design of a Quatos controlled multicopter you need to have a new Quatos parameter file and then tune parameters to have a very nice flying multicopter.

Larry
LPR

Postby Flyer324 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:49 pm

Thanks yes adding bigger motors does seem like a better option, but I think the bigger motors do not give enough thrust to justify the added weight and more current draw, so would limit me to about 5 min flights. I do have some 8mm motors on order to test though, but I think I will be disappointed.

Would an x-8 be the only way to have an octo, or could I do a flat octo and if so, how would I wire the motors? Would something like this work?
Attachments
AQ-frame-octo-plus.png
AQ-frame-octo-plus.png (11.3 KiB) Viewed 6757 times
Flyer324

Postby Kisssys » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:03 pm

That should work but the props should rotate the same in each group otherwise you would have no yaw control.
Steve
Kisssys
Kisssys

Return to AutoQuad M4 Micro Controller