[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - Using M4 with BLDCs - Short How to

Using M4 with BLDCs - Short How to

Info and discussion about the autonomous Micro FC, suitable for nanos, micros and mini multirotors

Re: Using M4 with BLDCs - Bluetooth connector type

Postby aBUGSworstnightmare » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:48 pm

Just let me add some information on the Bluetooth connector of the M4 expansion board!
The connector is a JST ZH series (http://www.jst-mfg.com/product/pdf/eng/eZH.pdf), available i.e. at digikey (http://www.digikey.de/product-search/de ... k=JST%20ZH). For the BT connector I have used the 4-pin type, mating connector housing is ZH-4 (supplied with the board; please check the socket! it's plugged in!).
ZH-4.PNG

Now, were to get the cables from? Nothing easier than that: use either Spektrum X-Bus cables (SPMA9579, SPMA9580, SPMA9581) or Spektrum satellite cables (SPM9010, SPM9011, SPM9012, SPM90103, SPM9014) to build a cable to your BT-module. The cheapest way to get cables is buying HK spectrum satellite cables (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=31437).

I've also added a link to this info the the beginning of the thread!
aBUGSworstnightmare

M4sixS - 52x52mm Expansion board with DC/DC+CAN distro

Postby aBUGSworstnightmare » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:51 pm

Hi,
since some people have been asking for 4S support (and up to 6S) I decided to make a larger expansion board.
The design is made for easy DIY with 0805 components (o.k. there's one 0603 because I didn't want to buy the particular resistor in 0805..). It uses a DC/DC for 5V supply, which can be either a RECOM R-78B5.0-1.0L (Digikey 945-1053-ND) or a Pololu D24V25F5 (https://www.pololu.com/product/2850). Both were suitable for 6S supply. Difference: the RECOM is 1A max, the Pololu 2.5A max.
Why are there two option? Simple answer: because I had the components on hands --> wanted to be able to use them.

Some details on the large expansion board:
- 52x52mm
- 30x30mm (for plastic screws only) and 45x45 mounting hole pattern
- 6.5 to 32V input voltage
- 5V DC/DC (1A or 2.5A max)
- CAN distribution with 10 ports (--> up to OKTO config + 'you never know'), 5V powered
- 3.3V-level Bluetooth port
- M5 to M8 for BLDC use (with PWM ESCs)
- PC6 and PC7 (UART6 RX/TX) available on JST ZH connectors (i.e. to connect second Spektrum SAT or HOTT. Use of BT and HOTT together is possible for CANed ESC and with modified firmware)
- uSD card socket
- Main battery voltage monitor output (connects to ADC input on M4r6)

Having CAN and PWM ports available should allow for using CAN for the ESC connection and the PWM ports i.e. for gimbal control or signaling.

Here are some pics. Tests are ongoing.
SANY0142.JPG
Top - shrouded headers for the M4 allow for easy alignment/connection with the M4

SANY0146.JPG
Bottom - left board uses RECOM 5V/1A, right is equipped wit Pololu 5V/2.5A DC/DC

SANY0141.JPG
Something for the weight watchers

SANY0144.JPG
Test fitting it to a Blackout 250size frame

SANY0145.JPG
The expansion board (Pololu version) is mounted on 12mm stand-offs
aBUGSworstnightmare

Re: Using M4 with BLDCs - Short How to

Postby aBUGSworstnightmare » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:56 pm

Just compiled the latest firmware (r449) for use of M4r5 (BETA boards) on the expansion board. Includes Quatos and PID version for external ESCs.

USE WITH EXTREME CARE!
aqv7.1.r449.b1852-hwv8.5.zip
(299.92 KiB) Downloaded 1124 times
aBUGSworstnightmare

Re: M4sixS - 52x52mm Expansion board with DC/DC+CAN distro

Postby Jdmagoo » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:13 pm

Jdmagoo

Postby Mullet » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:44 am

Joerg,

Your new board looks nice. If you offer them up for sale I think I'd like to buy one. I was going to wait for the new PDB, but this looks like it would fit the bill for 4-6 ESC32v3 boards for a larger project I'm thinking about.

With regard to your current BLDC r3 board: I bought some 12A ESCs flashed with BLHeli firmware. I'd like to use them for a current project. The ESCs come with the standard servo cable. It looks like one of the wires provides 5v via its SBEC.The other two wires I presume to be signal and gnd. I don't think the 5v supply is needed. Do I need to remove at least the 5v wire from the ESCs or can I plug them right into the BLDC board as is?
Mullet

Postby aBUGSworstnightmare » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:56 am

aBUGSworstnightmare

Re: AW: Using M4 with BLDCs - Short How to

Postby Simson » Tue May 12, 2015 4:30 pm

Simson

Postby aBUGSworstnightmare » Tue May 12, 2015 5:23 pm

Hi Harry,

you can use the Ground (GND) from the LiPo battery connector.
Joerg

P.S. Just my 2 cents: using a M4 expansion board for BLDC (i.e. http://autoquad.org/wiki/wiki/m4-microc ... ion-board/ or viewtopic.php?f=30&t=3967) is much more convenient than soldering the wires to the M4. It will also give you the uSD card slot which very helpful during tuning/failure analysis.
aBUGSworstnightmare

Postby Simson » Tue May 12, 2015 7:34 pm

Hi Joerg!
But even with your board I wouldn't be able to use M1....M4 as PWM for ĶISS. Only M5 until M8 is usable.
In my case I need with the use of the internal receiver the channels 5 to 8 to control a gimbal and 1 to 4 for Brushless Motors with KISS ESC's.
On the M4 board is not a ground pad for the Signal ground from the KISS?

Anyway, thanks for your help!
Simson

Postby aBUGSworstnightmare » Tue May 12, 2015 8:32 pm

aBUGSworstnightmare

PreviousNext

Return to AutoQuad M4 Micro Controller