AutoQuad winter 2014 new products used in X8

Post your build logs here

Re: AutoQuad winter 2014 new products used in X8

Postby bluuu » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:35 am

Nice copter. X8 is on my TODO list too :) and next AQ7 in the air :)
bluuu

Postby Alveran » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:05 pm

wow rely nice Copter Menno

im locking forward on 2015 :)
regards Mike

MD4-500 12mm X8 Naza V1 - Warthox 20cm Frame NanoWii - Futaba T14SG
HPI Vorza - Sanwa MT-4 http://rcracingteam.at.tf/
Alveran

Postby joebar.rc » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:09 pm

aBUGSworstnightmare wrote:Hi Menno,

a wonderful piece of art! Congrats and thumbs up!

How did you you the signaling over CAN bus? Is there a Controller with CAN on the Motormounts? Would ease wiring to use CAN instead of Neopixels (WS2812B).

Joerg

Nope,the PDB does have two high power outputs intended for leds. I tried building a WS2812 driver but for some stupid reason I couldnt get it to work using crossworks while using another compiler did provide working leds.
But.. I needed an output that was not available on the PDB hence the dual led ports.
I made a new can command that is used in the signaling code, basically it sends a message over the can bus to a specific switch port with the on/off request.
Obviously it would be doable to implement this on a stm32f103 or something so every led board can be registered on the bus. Hey, everything is possible, but it always costs sooooo much time :)
I did indeed have that idea to build a motor mount with a can enabled stm, that also carries the esc32. Would be a very clean way to wire the copter but maybe later..
joebar.rc

Postby OlliW » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:27 pm

nice build!
Hopefully your participation on Olli´s project will lead into Storm v2 with CAN Bus!

I hope we can convince him to add a CAN bus

I've indicated that before elsewhere: IMHO the next big step with these gimbals is to establish a better link between FC and gimbal, and it's quite top on my wishlist for next year, and since the link obviously should be based on CAN, CAN is implicitly also on the list ... so, it doesn't need any ones involvement or any convincing ;).

But a CAN link is the easy/trivial part, the issues are of other nature, and (for me) there are quite some of them. :)

cheers, Olli
OlliW

Postby leopold1 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Nice new products!

Is there an ETA for the AQ7 board or should I still spend my money on an AQ6?
leopold1

Postby kinderkram » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:23 pm

OlliW wrote:I've indicated that before elsewhere: IMHO the next big step with these gimbals is to establish a better link between FC and gimbal, and it's quite top on my wishlist for next year, and since the link obviously should be based on CAN, CAN is implicitly also on the list ... so, it doesn't need any ones involvement or any convincing ;).

But a CAN link is the easy/trivial part, the issues are of other nature, and (for me) there are quite some of them. :)

cheers, Olli

Welcome to the AQ forum, Olli! :D

Looking forward to 2015 - it´ll be an interesting year for sure.
kinderkram

Postby kinderkram » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:25 pm

leopold1 wrote:Nice new products!

Is there an ETA for the AQ7 board or should I still spend my money on an AQ6?

No ETA, not even sure if it will make it at all once the M4 has been released. Let´s wait and see...
kinderkram

Postby joebar.rc » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:18 am

OlliW wrote:nice build!
Hopefully your participation on Olli´s project will lead into Storm v2 with CAN Bus!

I hope we can convince him to add a CAN bus

I've indicated that before elsewhere: IMHO the next big step with these gimbals is to establish a better link between FC and gimbal, and it's quite top on my wishlist for next year, and since the link obviously should be based on CAN, CAN is implicitly also on the list ... so, it doesn't need any ones involvement or any convincing ;).

cheers, Olli

Hi Olli,

Great that you visited the post!
I remember what you said and your'e right, CAN itself is hardly a problem. As I have seen there are already at least 3 CAN protocols / message definitions in the open, not taling about the propriety like DJI's. Because everything within AutoQuad is already using the CAN it would be a big challenge to change it. But if you want to brainstorm or discuss any topic around that please do either via forum or PM.
For the moment we could even make some sort of protocol adapter, on the PDB I have more than 1 can port, can always make another protocol running on another port for testing.

You're clearly have a very very good idea how to work on you code, it is working very well.
Off topic, you mentioned gimbal lock, so you're not using quaternions for angle estimation?. I'm not sure because I can definitely go beyond the 90deg.

Menno
joebar.rc

Postby OlliW » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:05 am

Great that you visited the post!
well, Kinderkram's posts were kind of "ein Wink mit dem Zaunpfahl" hihi
there are already at least 3 CAN protocols / message definitions in the open
:)
Because everything within AutoQuad is already using the CAN it would be a big challenge to change it.
I don't think you need to change anything on these parts, "only" the communication to the gimbal needs to be defined
if you want to brainstorm or discuss any topic around that
well, if one would want to integrate it into any FC one would need to sort out some basic design issues at some point. In principle the task would be, I guess, simply that the FC sends out every now and then a package with the attitude info, as well as a package with rc info received from the ground station
I don't understand Mavlink yet, but I would have thought it could be of use
For the moment we could even make some sort of protocol adapter
how have you done it in the above?
you mentioned gimbal lock, so you're not using quaternions for angle estimation
I sure do ... but:
* the gimbal mechanics presents a gimbal lock in any case (as long as we stick with 3 axes)
* Euler angles cannot be always avoided, e.g. for the yaw follow mode (that's actually currently the biggest intellectual challenge I'm facing, looks so obvious but hard to find a mathematical proper formulation)
* also the PID is currently still based on Euler angles, it could be formulated in quaternions, but so far I didn't manage to get good control behavior (for some obvious reasons, but have not yet found a way to overcome them)(note: the attitude controllers out on the web do IMHO not work here)(on which, I guess, Quantos is based on)
so, of the three gimbal lock candidates (camera IMU, gimbal, 2nd IMU) only the 2nd IMU is currently handled gimbal-lock free

it's a bit off topic now though
I anyhow first need an AQ ;)
OlliW

Postby plexus » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:08 pm

Hi all,
I like that X8, may be one day that will be my futur autoquad..... 2015 :D
Very good work Menno.
Alain
plexus

PreviousNext

Return to Build Logs