[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - Build TBS Disco modded to X8 AQ FC and ESC32

Build TBS Disco modded to X8 AQ FC and ESC32

Post your build logs here

Build TBS Disco modded to X8 AQ FC and ESC32

Postby boriss » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:51 am

Hi Guys,

Now is the time to give AQ6 a try and I am excited ! For the heck of it and already having a X4 TBS discovery I am interested to setup another one but overpowered ( X8 conf) for the fun of it for fast ascends and forward flights. If i understood it correctly the AQ6 has no manual mode with deactivated self leveling, but thats actually what I am interested in knowing that other FC like the naza have issues at full speed flight in self-level mode or straight manual mode shaking up etc.

So lets see how the AQ6 will perform on a dedicated FPV quad tending towards speed !

Components

Frame:

Bild_4.jpg
Bild_4.jpg (28.66 KiB) Viewed 120275 times

Nice FPV setup since the OSD and clean v regulators for VTX and CAM are in the TBS core and the distribution is in the bottom plate plus current sensor. For those who don't know the frame !

TBScomp.jpg
TBScomp.jpg (48.88 KiB) Viewed 120271 times

Motors:

8 x Kopterworx KW 2

Maximum load current. (180 sec): 17 A
No-load speed: 840 rpm / V
Recommended Propeller Size: 9" .. 11"
Mechanical power: 200 W
Thrust max.: 1200 g
Wire length: about 40cm
Total weight (without cable): approx 75g

KW2.jpg
KW2.jpg (29.91 KiB) Viewed 120271 times

---------------------------------------------------

Of coarse the standard arms of the disco will have to be modded. The bottom landing gear thingis on the arm will be cut off and the motor mounts section will be support by 8mm Marklon plates to support the arms and to allow the X 8 configuration. Lets see how much flex is in these dji arms maybe a carbon sleeve will have to give them support or a nano carbon fibre tubes filling will support the structure.

Additionally the plates will allow LEDs in the motors mounts for orientation:

MotorplatesEXP.jpg
MotorplatesEXP.jpg (72.53 KiB) Viewed 120271 times

Some acrylic tries:

Arm_mod.jpg

Still have to design a new landing gear for the x8 configuration. Probably gonna use Makrlon again lets see to follow.
Last edited by boriss on Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:01 am, edited 4 times in total.
boriss

Re: Build TBS Disco modded to X8 AQ FC and ESC32

Postby boriss » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:07 am

Other components standard for you guys, but maybe some one fresh like me could benefit from it:

AD6 and need additional components:

AD6 of corse:

Autoquad-6-public-beta-Version_b2.jpg
Autoquad-6-public-beta-Version_b2.jpg (54.42 KiB) Viewed 120271 times

ESC 32:

Would really like to go with 5s but still have to check how the motors deal with it !

Autoquad-ESC32_b2.jpg
Autoquad-ESC32_b2.jpg (53.79 KiB) Viewed 120271 times

(edit)

Just ordered some stuff for the ESC32:

Jianghai Ultra-LOW-ESR Radialer Kondensator (Ø x H) 12.5 mm x 25 mm Rastermaß 5 mm 470 µF 50 V

Actually wrong pic :)

446211_BB_00_FB.EPS_1000.jpg
446211_BB_00_FB.EPS_1000.jpg (30.75 KiB) Viewed 120271 times

Gonna use Holcos Heatsink approach on one side and the smaller ones used before on the other side not to get the ESC to massiv !

SMD-Kühlkörper Fischer Elektronik ICK SMD B 19 (L x B x H) 19 x 19 x 4.8 mm R(th) 22 K/W

-1050215.jpg
-1050215.jpg (208.65 KiB) Viewed 120271 times

SMD-Kühlkörper Fischer Elektronik ICK SMD A 10 (L x B x H) 10 x 6.3 x 4.8 mm R(th) 75 K/W

Only for Fets like here:

photokühl.JPG

GPS Shield:

Groundplane-for-GPS.jpg
Groundplane-for-GPS.jpg (8.81 KiB) Viewed 120271 times

USB UART:

USB-UART-Adapter.jpg
USB-UART-Adapter.jpg (41.11 KiB) Viewed 120271 times

------------------------------

Also going to use the same vibration Gopro mounts that work really well for me in the past ! Noticed that certain certain gel pads mounts what ever, work for certain frequencies and a sandwich is just the best cover most of them and different rpm etc.

photomount.JPG

----------------

For now a futaba SB RX will do later ill give a Ezuhf ppm connect a try !
Last edited by boriss on Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:07 am, edited 4 times in total.
boriss

Postby boriss » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:10 am

uh found a X8 motor mixing table for the AD6 even from a guy in vienna. Probably the Disco will need some tweaking due to its layout, put a good starting point. Anyone any comments on this would be highly appreciated.

mixer.jpg
mixer.jpg (47.18 KiB) Viewed 120271 times
Last edited by boriss on Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
boriss

Postby kinderkram » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:04 am

Looking good so far. Thx for your detailed build log!
Hope you can get her airborne soon.
kinderkram

Postby boriss » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:04 pm

Thanks !

If one of you finds the time i would be cool if some of my questions could be answered !

1. Heard there is a AD6 HW Rev 2 ? If I ordered now the chances are that i am getting that ? Is there a change in that how much V the AD6 can take ? Or running 5s i will need a BEC ?

2. Any suggestions if i should mount the AD6 MK style with vibrations dampeners or its not necessary ?

3. Didn't really see any variables that can be changes to give AD6 the info were it is places on the frame concerning COG. Not important or the closer to COG the better ?

4. GPS schield. GND soldered to the shield and no further connection to the actual GPS antenna ?

Thanks

Boris
boriss

Postby Max » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:25 am

Hi Boris,

Nice looking build! I think you'll find the answers already in the docs or in the forums, but briefly...

1: The new batch of boards is r2. The only difference is how many volts the AQ can sense -- the limit used to be 15v and now it is higher. This does not change the input voltage the board can accept, which is still 18v. For running on 5S you would need a voltage regulator to power either version.

2: That depends on a lot of factors. Opinions will vary. You just don't want the board to wobble around or reverberate at any frequency.

3: Always in the center. Off center can work, results will vary but will probably never be great.

4: Ground from GPS shield is best connected to battery/chassis ground, not to the GPS antenna ground. See here: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=675 and keep reading page 2.

-Max
Max

Postby boriss » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:33 pm

Thanks Max !!!, things are clear to me now !

Boris
boriss

Postby Max » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:32 pm

Max

Postby boriss » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:46 pm

Thanks for taking a look at it. I was actually thinking about using lower pitched props at the bottom and higher ones on top. Was reading that the efficiency should be better. But I will be playing around with that !

Was wondering anyways if I don't have to customize the mixer a little more considering that the TBS discovery is not symmetrical in all axis.

Boris
boriss

Postby Max » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:33 pm

Any quad will have a center point between all the motors (unless all the arms are different lengths). Although I can't tell where the FC is meant to mount on that frame. I've seen some spider designs that have the FC positioned way off... but hopefully that's not one of them ;). Getting the CoG right on that thing might be another matter.... hopefully the battery is adjustable enough front/back.

-Max
Max

Next

Return to Build Logs