AQ and VectorDD...

Postby Jdmagoo » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:14 am

Just wondering what motor numbers on the AQ people are using for he following:

- CAM STAB PITCH
- CAM STAB ROLL
- CAM CONTROL PITCH
- CAM CONTROL ROLL
- CAM CONTROL YAW

Also, does the 5v bridge need to be soldered on the AQ for the above to work?

Finally, if I'm using a PPMSUM receiver, does this impact the wiring from the AQ to the alexmos board?

Thanks in advance

James
Jdmagoo

Re: AQ and VectorDD...

Postby joebar.rc » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:26 am

Jdmagoo wrote:Just wondering what motor numbers on the AQ people are using for he following:

- CAM STAB PITCH
- CAM STAB ROLL
- CAM CONTROL PITCH
- CAM CONTROL ROLL
- CAM CONTROL YAW

Finally, if I'm using a PPMSUM receiver, does this impact the wiring from the AQ to the alexmos board?

Thanks in advance

James

Hi James,

I'm not sure what you meant with motor numbers, but example:
On pitch control to alexmos: 14
Pitch control and follow mode, 14,10,9 where 10 en 9 go to control pitch/roll.

No need (read don't do that) to close the 5v bridge, you're only using the signal and gnd. The alexmos has it's own voltage regulator.
Ppmsum, Well that is hardcoded on the AQ to output 14, so that one is occupied :)

One tip,though, the alexmos motor controller is depending on the main voltage, in AQ we take the pack depletion into the calculation, in alexmos that is not done.
So best to use a power source that will not change much. If you take for example the main lipo power, that will effect the gimbal during runtime.
If you use a second voltage regulator that will output a lower value than the main power source, it will be constant.

Example: main lipo 4s, BEC to alexmos set on 10V, so even when the battery is almost empty, the alexmos still gets 10V and the alexmos PID / motor power values effects remain stable during the flight.
Or... Use another battery :), but that's another 100grams....
joebar.rc

Postby Jdmagoo » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:59 am

joebar.rc wrote:
Jdmagoo wrote:Just wondering what motor numbers on the AQ people are using for he following:

- CAM STAB PITCH
- CAM STAB ROLL
- CAM CONTROL PITCH
- CAM CONTROL ROLL
- CAM CONTROL YAW

Thanks in advance

James

Hi James,

I'm not sure what you meant with motor numbers, but example:
On pitch control to alexmos: 14
Pitch control and follow mode, 14,10,9 where 10 en 9 go to control pitch/roll.

No need (read don't do that) to close the 5v bridge, you're only using the signal and gnd. The alexmos has it's own voltage regulator.
Ppmsum, Well that is hardcoded on the AQ to output 14, so that one is occupied :)

One tip,though, the alexmos motor controller is depending on the main voltage, in AQ we take the pack depletion into the calculation, in alexmos that is not done.
So best to use a power source that will not change much. If you take for example the main lipo power, that will effect the gimbal during runtime.
If you use a second voltage regulator that will output a lower value than the main power source, it will be constant.

Example: main lipo 4s, BEC to alexmos set on 10V, so even when the battery is almost empty, the alexmos still gets 10V and the alexmos PID / motor power values effects remain stable during the flight.
Or... Use another battery :), but that's another 100grams....

Ah yes, i confused myself and now all sorted. Thanks for your reply

Im using a 12V BEC to power the Alexmos, is this low enough? Or should i replace it with a 10V?

Also, without a Lippo connected, I noticed that when i plug the alexmos into the computer via USB its sends 5V+ back through the BEC and into the Multiroter and into the AQ. Should i place a 1Amp diode into the 12V+ side of the BEC to stop this from occurring? Or do i not worry about it.

Cheers

James
Jdmagoo

Postby joebar.rc » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:38 am

Jdmagoo wrote:
Im using a 12V BEC to power the Alexmos, is this low enough? Or should i replace it with a 10V?

Also, without a Lippo connected, I noticed that when i plug the alexmos into the computer via USB its sends 5V+ back through the BEC and into the Multiroter and into the AQ. Should i place a 1Amp diode into the 12V+ side of the BEC to stop this from occurring? Or do i not worry about it.

Cheers

James

Hi James,

12V only if the input is higher than 12V, so if your using a 3S lipo as source, than the 12v BEC output will be lower during the depletion of the pack. 12V bec output is perfect when your using an 4S as source.

Sending back 5V via the alexmos is only possible if you did bridge that special solder gap on the alexmos. That is meant to provide 5v to the terminals so that a receiver can be directly connected to the alexmos controller. Sending it back to the BEC could be a problem. Best to avoid that obviously, but that is not always possible.
If so, use a sequence: plug in the battery and than the USB. If the other way around it could blow the USB controller on the alexmos. (Of course, that is what I experience, Jussi or Paul might know for sure, but I did not see any protecting circuit in place)

You don't have to worry if NO 5v bridge is closed on the AQ side on the pwm terminals going to the alexmos. (Middle pin).

Menno
joebar.rc

Postby Jdmagoo » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:12 pm

joebar.rc wrote:
Jdmagoo wrote:

Cheers

James

Hi James,

12V only if the input is higher than 12V, so if your using a 3S lipo as source, than the 12v BEC output will be lower during the depletion of the pack. 12V bec output is perfect when your using an 4S as source.

Sending back 5V via the alexmos is only possible if you did bridge that special solder gap on the alexmos. That is meant to provide 5v to the terminals so that a receiver can be directly connected to the alexmos controller. Sending it back to the BEC could be a problem. Best to avoid that obviously, but that is not always possible.
If so, use a sequence: plug in the battery and than the USB. If the other way around it could blow the USB controller on the alexmos. (Of course, that is what I experience, Jussi or Paul might know for sure, but I did not see any protecting circuit in place)

You don't have to worry if NO 5v bridge is closed on the AQ side on the pwm terminals going to the alexmos. (Middle pin).

Menno

Hey Menno,

I'm running a 4s so my Bec should be fine.

I haven't soldered the JP1 bridge and only have two wires per RC input just to be safe.
The actual 5v from the USB cable is feeding back through the power wires that supply the alexmos, which in turn runs through the BEC and into the distribution board of the FCP frame and finally into the LEDs, AQ, arduino pro, LEDs and minimOSD. Unless someone says its a bad idea placing a 1 amp diode in the positive wire that feeds the alexmos, I will do this. In the mean time I will follow your process in plugging in the USB after power etc etc. But worry one day I may forget and would like to have some protection in place.

Thanks again

James
Jdmagoo

Postby joebar.rc » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:29 am

Right, all is connected :)
Ok, you can do that off course, keep in mind that a diode will drop 0.3-0.7V and you need to choose one that can handle around 1-2A for small motors..
What you also can do is attaching a low cost Bluetooth adapter on the rx-tx lines, I have that and it's working great. The only reason than to have an USB connected is uploading firmware.
joebar.rc

Postby plexus » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:43 am

plexus

Return to Camera & Gimbal support