best way to operate a 3-Axis gimbal by a second pilot?

AutoQuad AV/AP settings, gimbal & servo choices

Re: best way to operate a 3-Axis gimbal by a second pilot?

Postby chschmid » Mon May 20, 2013 11:16 am

Gents

Thats a great solution. But I somehow feel not comfortable with passing yaw to the cam operator. I would like to add a 3rd axis to my gimbal and pass the 3axis gimbal only to the cam operator with the student function. But for that I would need a gimbal yaw stabilisation with offset (1500 PW straight foreward) as realised with the nick gimbal function. Does the AQ have enough processing power left to do that? We woud have to recalculate nick and roll compensation according to yaw offset. Maybe Bill already wrote the code and it is hidden somewhere :) .
If not I would be glad to get some guidance on that.

Thanks
Christof
chschmid

Postby Max » Mon May 20, 2013 12:08 pm

I agree, a 3rd axis stabilization control is important. Regardless of whether the camera rotation is controlled via craft yaw or directly via radio channel. I don't think there will be any problem with processing time. Just need the code and testing :)

-Max
Max

Postby chschmid » Sun May 26, 2013 7:41 pm

Hi Max

I was trying to find a solution for the 3rd axis. Well, its not that easy and I decided the Arduino mini pro 16MHz detour.

AQ could process more RC channels to operate a 3rd gimbal axis, but we would have to read a pot from the 3rd axis
to splitt x/y regarding yaw. Furthermore the RC channels need to be remapped to pass gimbal commands to a slave TX.
Usually CH1-CH8 can be used for the slave TX.

This sketch divides AQ x/y gimbal output regarding the yaw axis of the gimbal.
An external pot measures the angle of the gimbal relative to the AQ and distributes the tilt and roll commands.
A tilt offset is added thru RC as well as yaw positioning of the gimbal.

The PWM reading (by Arduino ) from AQ is very jittery, the resolution of the PWM out to small.

Maybe someone knows a better way to read the PWM's with more accurate results.
Or a solution to add the pot to the FC.

Attached some lines of code.

Cheers
Christof
Attachments
Gimbal.rar
(4.3 KiB) Downloaded 1057 times
chschmid

Previous

Return to Camera & Gimbal support