[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - Strange motor behavior especially after forward flight.

Strange motor behavior especially after forward flight.

The last Bastion to fine tune your FC matching your airframe & setup

Strange motor behavior especially after forward flight.

Postby epyonxero » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:23 am

I did my first flights today with AQ 6.6 R19 on my Y6. The first flight wasnt too good. Control response was very sluggish on all axis and engaging ALT hold would cause the multi to drop and then seem to hold altitude before drifting up or down.

After that I checked the forum and started adjusting parameters. I changed the Control Factor Pitch and Roll to .1 and Yaw to .001 hoping to get better control response. I also changed some of the the Navigation Altitude parameters to make ALT hold less dramatic and increased my stick deadband to 80.

Made a second flight and it looked a lot better. Controls were much more responsive without over shooting and transition to ALT hold was very smooth. I put the Y6 into ALT hold and let it hover for a minute or two then I tried flying forward some and started seeing strange motor behavior. The two front, upper motors would slow down and actually stop spinning at various times after flying forward, never at the same time though. Even after releasing the sticks to go back into ALT hold hover the motors would slow significantly or stop intermittently.

The good news is the multi was still controllable with only 5/6 motors running and it maintained altitude. I was able to slowly land each time. Im attaching the motor output plots if anyone can help.
Attachments
Rear Bottom Motor.png
Rear Bottom
Front Right Bottom Motor.png
Front Right Bottom
Front Left Bottom Motor.png
Front Left Bottom
Rear Upper Motor.png
Rear Upper Motor
Front Right Upper Motor.png
Front Right Upper Motor
Front Left Upper Motor.png
Front Left Upper Motor
epyonxero

Re: Strange motor behavior especially after forward flight.

Postby bn999 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:48 am

You found the problem. There is a huge imbalance between the motors. Last time I saw that from someone it was due to improperly calibrated ESC's. If not that then perhaps a bad ESC or motor. Is the machine somewhat balanced?
bn999

Postby epyonxero » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:35 am

epyonxero

Postby bn999 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:05 pm

The FC has no ESC calibration mode.
bn999

Postby Kisssys » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:29 pm

Hi epyonxero,

Whenever I hear somebody needing to use a reverse throttle to make something work I ask myself what happens if his receiver goes into failsafe, where does his throttle go.

More than one multi-rotor has flown away because of just that.

Don't know what your using so it may not be an issue.
Steve
Kisssys
Kisssys

Postby epyonxero » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:35 pm

Forgot to update this. I went back and re-calibrated all of my ESCs and the motor stopping in flight issue appears to be gone. When I originally set things up I did it with default throttle settings but had to reverse the throttle channel, from Googling it seems this is a common issue with S.Bus. I also had to extend the endpoints of the throttle channel to get the FC to arm. This time I made those adjustments first and then calibrated the ESCs and it seems to be giving the motors enough room on the bottom end to keep them from clipping and going to zero throttle.
epyonxero

Return to PID Tuning