old tuning methods not working

The last Bastion to fine tune your FC matching your airframe & setup

old tuning methods not working

Postby chris24g » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:59 am

i cant seem to get my AQ on the same performance level as my old one on 6.5 fw.

i tried lowering tlt_rte_d but the quad just becomes more unstable and the cyclic is still just as sluggish. the yaw is also very slow. it feels like i am running expo on the tx (which i am not). for those familiar with the tuning video on youtube, it levels very slowly like when the D term was raised in the demo.

all my tx values are +/- 700

i have gotten tlt_rte_d down to about 20000 on a 650 sized quad with 12" props and 770kv motors on 4s. it is similar in size to the older AQ quad but that one flies like a dream.

i am not sure how the motor PIDs (tlt_rte_pm, etc..) affect the quad so i have left those at defaults.

what am i missing?
chris24g

Re: old tuning methods not working

Postby SuperSharpShooter » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:24 am

Here are my PIDs for a similar quad (700kv motors with 12x4.5 props).

I took it out and tuned it in 20 knot winds the other day, and it flies mostly smooth, but sometimes it still seems to saturate the Z ACC and climb when a strong gust hits it.

-Glenn
SuperSharpShooter

Postby chris24g » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:50 am

thanks for the PIDs, i'll give them try.

as for your climbing issue, do you have foam over your barometer?
chris24g

Postby SuperSharpShooter » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:32 am

No problem.

Yeah I have foam over the baro and am running a DIMU. Seems the copter gets into some resonant state at certain motor RPM combinations. I've come across this issue at one time or another on pretty much all my AQ copters. Everything's balanced as well as it can be. Would be nice to be able to just vibration isolate the FC to stop it, but haven't found a way to do it well yet.
-Glenn
SuperSharpShooter

Postby chris24g » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:36 am

good progress on the PIDs. i ended up moving the motors about 30mm inward and going to a smaller prop (11x4.5). my tlt_ang_p is at 110 and tlt_ang_d at 3700, not too far off from yours.

yaw doesn't feel as crisp as i'm used to, but at least the quad is stable and GPS hold is solid. no altitude fluctuations at all. a good sign.

regarding the slow yaw, i'm using 4006 pancake motors by t-motor and my other quad was using some beefy axi 2814/22 motors. maybe the Axis are producing much more torque than the t-motor and are able to spin the quad more easily. just a guess. if that's the case, i'm going back to the old style.
chris24g

Return to PID Tuning