[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - Balancing yaw with different sized props?

Balancing yaw with different sized props?

The last Bastion to fine tune your FC matching your airframe & setup

Re: Balancing yaw with different sized props?

Postby 13brv3 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:49 pm

13brv3

Postby epyonxero » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:52 pm

Attachments
Screenshot (8).png
Motor output from aft bottom motor showing some clipping.
Screenshot (7).png
MOT_YAW from yesterday with YAW mix at 100 for all motors.
epyonxero

Postby Max » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:34 pm

Looks like you still need a bit more authority in the CCW props (positive yaw). Maybe higher pitch 11" props on bottom will even it out more. I thought the lower pitch would help even out the thrust between the two sizes, but looks like it reduces the thrust too much. Assuming I'm reading your mix table correctly (ABC on top and DEF on botom, A and D aft?).

You could also try using all CCW 11.4" on bottom, and all CW 10" on top. I've actually tried this before once and my yaw balance was fairly close (avg. ~ +50 as I recall, with no clipping). But those props really sucked so I didn't pursue it much further. I also didn't have the right prop combos to try your current setup (switching aft top/bottom).

BTW are you sure all the motors are level and parallel? Just a bit off can really screw up the yaw balance. I guess one way to test that would be to reverse all your motor directions and props and see if the yaw imbalance shifts evenly to the negative side.

-Max
Max

Postby Max » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:26 pm

Max

Postby epyonxero » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:42 am

After reading SharpShooters thread I think Im going to give up on the Y6 too. Ive been using the same configuration since the beginning and I just cant get rid of that last bit of imbalance.

I balanced and mounted some 11x5 props on the bottom motors and left 10x5s on the top and it seemed to induce an irregular oscillation that wasnt there before. Im guessing the larger difference in thrust between the bottom 11x5s and top 10x5s is throwing off the FC. Next I put the same 11x5s on the top motors and that seemed to make the yaw issue worse. Going full forward in flight results in the multicopter doing clockwise circles. After I landed the front top (CW) motors were too hot to touch. The log shows that they were at 100% trying to counteract the yaw. Rusty, just sent you an order for the parts to make a flat hexa :mrgreen:

Is it possible that my motors are underpowered for the props?

Screenshot (9).png
CW Motors Log

Screenshot (10).png
MOT_YAW
epyonxero

Postby Max » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:26 am

You went to all same-size props and that's what you got? :shock: Definitely something not right. It's certainly possible to get a well-balanced yaw in a Y6 config.

y6-yaw-example.png
Actual hover in choppy air.

I'd posted some other examples here viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2315&p=12896&hilit=y6+yaw+balance#p12896

-Max
Max

Postby hogster » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:48 pm

Just to add to this topic, I also had to deal with a yaw imbalance as I'm running an X8 with 15x5 props on the top and 16x5.4 props on the bottom.

I built a simple yaw table from a sheet of wood and an 8mm bolt in the middle which was free to spin inside a short length of 10mm aluminium square tubing (8mm ID) which was then clamped in a sturdy vice. The X8 was then tied down to the yaw table so it couldn't move.

By using a mixing table comprising of only throttle values (100 for all motors initially - all roll, pitch and yaw values were set to 0), I was able to tweak the throttle values for the top motors until quick increases in throttle didn't make the yaw table move.

Strangely I actually had to use 80% on all the top motors (which have the smaller, lower pitch props) and 100% on the bottom motors (larger, higher pitch props) to remove the yaw imbalance. All I can think is that for the same throttle % the larger pitch props don't produce as much torque as the lower pitch props ... whatever the physics, it works! See attached ...

Hope that helps :)

David
Attachments
10-7-14 flight MOT_YAW.png
MOT_YAW value from a recent test flight
hogster

Previous

Return to PID Tuning