[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - Altitude in Position Hold - Little problem and more

Altitude in Position Hold - Little problem and more

The last Bastion to fine tune your FC matching your airframe & setup

Re: Altitude in Position Hold - Little problem and more

Postby LPR » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:45 pm

LPR

Postby Jessestr » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:33 pm

Thanks. But I tried that too. Changing my throttle factor result in high frequency up and down oscillations on position hold. That seem to be solved. But or it doesn't keep altitude or it behaves weird.. there's no sweet spot. Recharging and retrying again in half an hour.

Will try to follow the altitude pid tutorial and hope it works out well.. It was flying good at stock pid's.. Just when in pos hold and going forward made the quad raise in height so much.. like 3/4 meters sometimes
Jessestr

Postby Jessestr » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:21 pm

Got some progress.. But don't know if I'm doing it right. Quad keeps alti (except when I move forward, it goes higher). But sometimes it dus a very very small up and down movement.. You can't really see it but you hear the motors spinning up and down..

Any idea?
Jessestr

Postby LPR » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:55 pm

If your using default rate and angle PIDs and you are not having any wobble then you must have vibrations under control.
I had problems with up and down movement when I tried moving the AQ board off center 8 inches. My octo would jump up 2 meters when I did a quick stop. It drops when i would take off too. The AQ must use the z acc to help altitude hold. Where the center of gravity for your quad is could be causing some altitude change. I you still don't have a camera mount you could add some weight and get your throttle factor to need to be .5. I your quad is over powered compared to an average quad that could be something to do with your control difficulties.

I set the throttle factor so I could change from manual mode to position hold without a jump up or down.

I can't remember if I messed with PIDs for alt hold but I don't think I had to if I had defaults for rate and angle PIDs.

Lower rate D makes attitude changes faster. At 4500 my octo starts to wobble a little and at default it is too slow to fly aggressively in alt hold. 5800 is good.

Keep making little changes and look for little changes. Don't mess with the rate and angles PIDs except for rate D.

I've only built an octo but I'm starting on two quads now. What you find might be different but if a big octo flies well with defaults I would not think a quad would be too far off defaults.
When you get it right the AQ is amazing.

Larry
Last edited by LPR on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LPR

Postby LPR » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:17 pm

I edited the previous post because I was looking at the wrong quad. Adding weight to your quad equal to a camera and getting the throttle factor to be around .5 will likely help with your altitude control.

Larry
Last edited by LPR on Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
LPR

Postby Jessestr » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:19 am

Thanks Larry.

My quad is extremely overpowered. It feels that I could rip it apart with giving full throttle. Altough it weigh 1.5kg and is 600 size.. Waiting for a landing gear to come out on the flyduino frame so I can attach other gear.. Maybe I should wait until I have that.

I bet' it's amazing. Not giving up. Once I know how to tune PID properly I think it's childplay.. Just have to get to know the factors and causes. Bluetooth module helps very well.. but I can't resist to start flying instead of tuning haha.

Thanks. Will try to finish the build first, do the atti again and then check what my quad does.. Will also make some vids to make it clearer if problems still occur.

Many thanks

Jesse
Jessestr

Postby LPR » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:35 am

Jesse

My octo is over powered also. I can lift and fly with near 8 lbs.
You might have to repeat the Dynamic log with the added framing when you add the camera.
I found that you need to get your copter to fly well with aggressive movements in position hold before you fly missions. If your rate D is too high you'll get wild oscillation and a crash. If too low you'll have wobble. Test and fly low till you get it dialed in.
I takes quite some time to learn the ins and outs of missions but it's fun. Always check the mission has loaded correctly, a couple of times a wrong number has cause a crash for me.

Larry
LPR

Postby Jessestr » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:50 am

Thanks. I'm not planning to use missions anyways. it's illegal here if you use them. It's a nice addition but that's not why I bought the board. I bought it for stability and I needed a platform that I could trust. Seems that I found what I needed.

Won't do dynamics again until I got it flying perfectly. Then I can add my video downlink.. Will just add a landing and some weights for faking the gear and lowering CG.

THanks
Jessestr

Previous

Return to PID Tuning