[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - Onboard Magnetic Calibration

Onboard Magnetic Calibration

Static, Dynamic, Log File Analysis, Troubleshooting

Onboard Magnetic Calibration

Postby SuperSharpShooter » Wed May 21, 2014 9:34 am

I just saw there's a on the wiki describing this calibration.

Can someone please clarify the movements that need to be done to rotate around all octants?

Would this mean that if I started with the copter level facing forwards, that I could roll it through 360 deg, then pitch it 360 deg, and yaw 360 deg, and it would be done? Or is there more to do?

Also I see in the new wiki entry, that there is no mention of reversing the sign on the inclination. Does this mean that the values from magnetic-declination.com should be entered as is now, or do we still reverse the inclination?

Thanks
-Glenn
SuperSharpShooter

Re: Onboard Magnetic Calibration

Postby kinderkram » Wed May 21, 2014 11:30 am

Hi Glen,
there's a visual feedback by the LEDs when doing the onboard calibso. When all LEDs are solid, you're done and the board will go back to normal state.

Mag incl & decl have to be submitted as usual, no changes.
kinderkram

Postby SuperSharpShooter » Wed May 21, 2014 11:37 am

Alright cool, but for the specific movements that should be made to satisfy the 'rotation around all octants', is there a difference between rotating around an edge vs a corner as the wiki says? Or you just keep making movements till the lights go on solid?
-Glenn
SuperSharpShooter

Postby kinderkram » Wed May 21, 2014 3:32 pm

I rotate mine around all corners, diagonally over the edges and horizontally around the Z axis.

I also tried to act like a dervish with no plan at all - sooner or later the process is satisfied.
So there´s not much you can do wrong or spoil the ob calibso.
kinderkram

Postby aBUGSworstnightmare » Wed May 21, 2014 3:47 pm

Hi Glenn,

you don't need to follow a specific sequence! Do as Norbert described: cube faces, diagonally over the corners (you can also rotate the craft on it's own axis) and around Z (needed the most turn's when I was doing it).

Be shure to set Mag Incl./Decl. before starting the process.

Then TARE, store the values and check your HUD (after rebooting) if it's correct!

Do it outside; I did it indoors for the first time with a bad result :oops:
Joerg
aBUGSworstnightmare

Postby SuperSharpShooter » Mon May 26, 2014 10:28 pm

I've just done the onboard mag calibration, but I don't think the values have applied. I did the rotation around for a couple of minutes until the lights on the AQ went solid, and then did the stick movement to write to EEPROM, but I still get some circling when entering position hold, which eventually settles down, and also flying in position hold won't initially track straight ahead when I give it forward pitch. When I look at the IMU params in QGC there are no new values set under IMU other than the ACC and GYO bias, and incl/decl.
-Glenn
SuperSharpShooter

Postby Jdmagoo » Tue May 27, 2014 8:17 am

Jdmagoo

Postby kinderkram » Tue May 27, 2014 8:29 am

"ALL LEDs should go solid for a second after a successful calibration and then show normal state."
Any proposals on how this can be expressed more clearly?
kinderkram

Postby Jdmagoo » Tue May 27, 2014 10:01 am

Jdmagoo

Postby SuperSharpShooter » Tue May 27, 2014 10:08 am

Yeah sorry I'm running R386 and the HUD doesn't spin.

It was more the quality of the end result of calibration that I was wondering about. I've done the onboard calibration on 3 copters today, but even after calibration, I'm still getting the compass-related handling weirdness during the first minute or so after engaging position hold (circling, and tracking off to the side when I tell it to go forward).

I think the directions should say that once the calibration is complete, the lights will go on solid and stay on, at which point you should do the stick combination to write the values to EEPROM. Or is the calibration not complete when the lights are on solid and requires movement and rotation until they start flashing again?

The wiki makes it sound like they just go on solid for a second to indicate the calibration is complete, and then go back to normal operation.
-Glenn
SuperSharpShooter

Next

Return to Calibration