[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - Flying at different location

Flying at different location

Static, Dynamic, Log File Analysis, Troubleshooting

Flying at different location

Postby rput » Mon May 12, 2014 5:40 am

Hi all,

I will be flying a few thousand km's from my normal location. Any idea if there is a fast procedure that I can do to avoid having to do a full calibration at the site?

Thanks,
Richard
rput

Re: Flying at different location

Postby SuperSharpShooter » Mon May 12, 2014 7:49 am

I think you would just change the inclination and declination to what it should be for the new location.
-Glenn
SuperSharpShooter

Postby kinderkram » Mon May 12, 2014 7:59 am

Yep, nothing else needed than a "relocation" of the magnetic values.
kinderkram

Postby rput » Mon May 12, 2014 2:26 pm

Ok, that sounds great. What does that mean for my inclination that was significantly changed by the calibration process (from -68 to -54)?
rput

Postby bn999 » Mon May 12, 2014 2:30 pm

If you have determined that your local inclination is -68 and the calibration process changed that to -54, then there is something significantly wrong with one or the other.
bn999

Postby rput » Mon May 12, 2014 3:09 pm

I was wondering about that.... I redid the calibrations several times and it was fairly consistent, even with a different dynamic log file. I thought it must be some magnetic interference from my setup. The MAE also did not go below 0.3 in Step 3. You think the dynamic calibration is not correct?
rput

Postby bn999 » Mon May 12, 2014 3:30 pm

If you can repeat it, then I'd double check your local magnetic data. Either that or you're situated on a big deposit of iron :)
bn999

Postby rput » Mon May 12, 2014 9:20 pm

Ok thanks for the tip, I'll dig into it (sorry couldn't resist it...;))
rput

Postby hogster » Tue May 13, 2014 8:45 am

Just curious and sorry to hijack your thread, but how far can one travel before having to repeat this calibration process? I realise it's not a fixed distance and the further you go the less accurate the magnetometer will become ...

Many thanks, David :)
hogster

Postby kinderkram » Tue May 13, 2014 9:15 am

Calibration doesn´t need to be repeated - only the mag incl&decl will change when traveling.

Depends on which direction you are traveling:
- if you travel South -> North (or vice versa) the mag declination will change most while inclination stays similar
- if you travel East -> West the inclination will change while declination stays similar

You can play around at http://magnetic-declination.com/ to watch the effect.

We had reports of users traveling 1500km without having to change their values. Last year some team members drove distances of 600-700km to the Maker Faire in Germany. Afaik nobody had to change anything...
kinderkram

Next

Return to Calibration