[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - What type of foam for the cal box?

What type of foam for the cal box?

Static, Dynamic, Log File Analysis, Troubleshooting

What type of foam for the cal box?

Postby Jdmagoo » Wed May 22, 2013 11:08 pm

As the tittle suggests what type of foam are people using for there cal box? Might be a difficult question but I'm having allot of trouble finding a foam that doesn't move when the board heats up.

I've tried:

- yellow mattres type foam
- black foam as seen in pelican cases
- styro foam
- without foam

Now I know the noisy logs are from the foam moving whilst heating up as Ive tried without the foam in the box and the noise observed was minor, I have also tried with the foam applied to the outside of the box and although the logs were quiet the temperature didn't rise high enough.

Ive tried 2 cals a day for the last 3 weeks in mulitple configurations and am really keen to get this done as my first autoquad build awaits

Looking forward to the advice

James
Jdmagoo

Re: What type of foam for the cal box?

Postby monkey1 » Thu May 23, 2013 1:57 am

same to me, when using foam, the foam will create noise. finally i use without foam and drill holes at the bottom to screw the board fixed. And use gel to seal the screw hole around now i can get the good result.

my another problem is placing at tropical area, even i use big lock box, the temperature rising very fast. will it affect the performance?
monkey1

Postby Jdmagoo » Thu May 23, 2013 3:16 am

I might add that when I tried without foam in a small container the temperature didn't get above 20deg c. I also placed the foam in the oven at 40 deg c for 3 hours to try and remove moisture but this didn't help. (I can't go higher as the next increment is 100 deg c), so I'm happy to take any advice

Cheers

James
Jdmagoo

Postby Jdmagoo » Thu May 23, 2013 3:22 am

Jdmagoo

Postby GoFaster » Thu May 23, 2013 11:36 am

I didn't use any foam inside the container; but had the AQ & micro SD card in a ziplock bag, inside a small container with silica gel during the freezing and calibration process. During the thaw/calibration process, the container was sitting on a block of foam to isolate it from ambient vibrations.
I also used thin silicone wire as connection to the battery to hopefully minimize induced vibrations/expansion.
The longer the thawing time, the more resolution(data points) you have for the static calibration's simulation/calculations.

- Felix
GoFaster

Postby Jdmagoo » Fri May 24, 2013 7:50 am

A quick drive to Clark rubber and they advise the best foam to use is (I forget the name) but its used around refrigerator pipes. Supposedly it won't change size or move when it heats up or cools down, it won't absorb moisture. Anyway they sell it in various sized sheets and tube so I will now give that a go and report back.
Jdmagoo

Postby monkey1 » Fri May 24, 2013 11:22 am

Attachments
staticcal.jpg
staticcal.jpg (38.82 KiB) Viewed 9861 times
monkey1

Return to Calibration