Absolute Insanity

Static, Dynamic, Log File Analysis, Troubleshooting

Absolute Insanity

Postby jrlederer » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:29 pm

I swear that I am about a couple more tries from testing how well this goddamn flight controller holds up in a blender!

I bought two of these flight controllers nearly 6 months ago and still, to this day, am unable to accomplish a decent static calibration! Fuck! For the record, I am not retarded (at least, i don't think i am -- but considering this...maybe?). I have very much experience with both electronics in general (as I am a university educated graduate in the field of electrical engineering) as well as with all sorts of avionics and r/c electronics. I follow the instructions to a "t" and the best I can achieve looks like I strapped this piece of shit to a vibrator while performing the calibration! The only graphs that look acceptable are the three temperature curves. The others (magnetometer, gyros, accels) look like either a richter scale on crack, or on occasion I can get them almost to be correct except the curves are riddled with hiccups (as though someone was tapping on the controller during the test (which is NOT the case).

I initially tried for a couple days when I first received the units, and then out of frustration I put them aside for a while (couple months) during which time I moved my residency to another city. Recently, I thought about it and figured maybe the change of venue would be my saving grace; thinking that there may have been weird magnetic fields around my old place. Unfortunately, no better after different city and months of sitting in a box.

So, unless I am able to finally give these expensive paper-weights an actual flight test one of these days, or even if they allow me to get past the VERY FIRST step on their way to becoming flight-ready, I plan to take my aggression out on them and see how they hold up to my kitchen blender and/or microwave oven -- then maybe a go with my sledgehammer.

Thanks, in advance, for any assistance that may help me out, because this is so very frustrating...

Jonathan :twisted:
jrlederer

Re: Absolute Insanity

Postby epyonxero » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:12 pm

Ill give you $100 for them.
epyonxero

Postby leopold1 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:22 pm

Maybe you could post some images of your graphes?
leopold1

Postby Jdmagoo » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:37 pm

I'll give you $105 for them!
Jdmagoo

Postby afernan » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:07 pm

I've done already some 10+ calibrations, always succesful by simply following the wiki.i don't know where could be your problem but if you strictely follow the wiki you should success.
I can offer you to send me the boards and I'll do the calibrations for you.
Send me a PM if you want.
Angel
afernan

Postby chschmid » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:16 pm

Hi Jonathan

I can understand your anger and frustration. Maybe you can post some of your "richter scale on crack" or some of the "strapped to a vibrator" curves and I am sure there is help here. (Angel, Leopold and others.)

Best
Christof
chschmid

Postby axelnied » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:43 pm

Jonathan,

Initially, I had some issues with the static calibration as well. In general I would say, the wiki does a good job in explaining everything.

This is what worked for me:
- put the board into an open ziplock into the freezer
- I put a silica bag into the ziplock as well
- open freezer and IMMEDIATELY close the ziplock
- make sure your power supply is routed properly
- put the closed ziplock into a container WITH foam inside
- make sure the board sits TIGHT in between the foam, so it cannot move while defrosting

I checked out some of your posts from Sept-timeframe. Quite possible that your board moved while defrosting.
axelnied

Return to Calibration