[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - Why aren't my ESCs arming?

Why aren't my ESCs arming?

Radio, Telemetry, FTDI/USB, ESCs, Motors, etc.

Why aren't my ESCs arming?

Postby hogster » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:23 pm

Hi all :)

Simple, but hopefully not a stupid question coming up!

I've got firmware version 372 on my AQ, correctly set up the radio input (all channels correctly assigned, going from -700 to +700 or 0 to 1400), my motor output channels have been correctly set and they don't conflict, I've shorted the 5V jumpers so each opto-ESC is getting a 5V feed (checked with a DVM), the ESC servo plugs are the right way round, all the ESCs are getting raw flight pack voltage on their main power rails ... but they just sit there beeping at me as if they're not getting any PWM signal :(

I haven't done a dynamic calibration yet, nor experimented with the TARE function, as I assumed neither of these were necessary to at least get the ESCs to arm ... maybe I'm wrong?

Any advice on points I might have missed are much appreciated!

Many thanks, David :)

PS. It's nice to feel I'm slowly making progress finally, I think a maiden flight is not so far away now :)
hogster

Re: Why aren't my ESCs arming?

Postby SuperSharpShooter » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:49 pm

With r372 it looks like the AQ only sends a PWM signal to the ESCs after arming. Have you tried arming?
-Glenn
SuperSharpShooter

Postby hogster » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:53 pm

Ah that sounds promising, I will give that a try tomorrow.

Many thanks :) David
hogster

Postby hogster » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:15 am

All working now thanks! I was also fooled by assuming that the servo plugs use the same orientation on the top and bottom ... so I ended up with the top 4 motors spinning, but the bottom 4 beeping ;)

Is there any way to check the response of the motors (eg. to check that right roll command gives a right roll result, same for pitch and yaw) without having the motors spinning the whole time?

hogster

Postby Max » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:38 am

Max

Postby hogster » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:30 pm

Hi Max,

Hmm unfortunately if I go into the 'AQ Diagnotic Telemetry' screen and hit 'Start Telemetry' the firmware readout at the very top of the GCS screen disappears and is replaced by:

FAILURE: Temporarily rejected CMD: 2

... and the graph doesn't move. The 'MAVLink Data Plot' works fine, but the motors don't seem to be on that graph.

Any thoughts as to why this isn't working? I'm running GCS 1.3.1 and AQ firmware 372.

hogster

Postby hogster » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:38 pm

Actually, even if that graph was working, when my AQ is powered up, so are all the motors, so that graph doesn't really give me anything over watching what the motors do :roll:

Cheers! David
hogster

Postby Max » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:12 am

Max

Postby hogster » Mon May 12, 2014 9:55 am

Just for clarity, and for anyone reading this thread in the future, the "FAILURE" I was experiencing above was caused by a bug in the Mac GCS 1.3.1 software. I downloaded 1.3.0 and the telemetry feature then worked fine.

Sorry for not answering your question Max! :oops:

I've also found a way of powering the AQ separately so I can fiddle with the settings without risking my platform taking off ;)

Thanks! David
hogster

Return to Connections