AutoQuad native Graupner HoTT telemetry (update jan 2015)

Radio, Telemetry, FTDI/USB, ESCs, Motors, etc.

Re: AutoQuad native Graupner HoTT telemetry (update: setting

Postby plexus » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:23 am

Hi Menno,
I am waiting the connectors and I check.
Alain
plexus

Postby Jdmagoo » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:05 am

This is great work Menno!!!

I just managed to bench test this along with my first ESC32 with CAN, wow those Capcitors take a while to solder.

Anyway, I can confirm this is working and cant wait to test airborne.

One question though, how do i display the Amps per ESC or is it only possible to display the overall amps with the current sensor breakout board?

Many Thanks

James
Jdmagoo

Postby joebar.rc » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:23 pm

For the moment I made that esc32 screen where the Wh per esc32 is a result of the current and actual motor voltage.
In the esc32 extra info screen (set) you can see the max amp for the selected esc32
I can of course make the hw value to toggle between Wh & amp. It was just my personal interest in Wh...
I have to do some work on that anyway, the current indication fluctuates to much, I need a slope function on that to average to numbers..

Also if you or others have suggestions for param settings that are likely to be edited on field, I have spare fields available :).
joebar.rc

Postby plexus » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:51 pm

just tested hott with R380 not with R381 ;, that run very well. :P
Many thanks for your job Menno.

Alain
plexus

Postby phynix » Sat May 03, 2014 5:19 pm

Nice job! I just tried the modified r380 version. Works almost perfect! Compared to the solution with the arduino, the telemetry seems to be more stable and faster. And more values that are transmitted.

I tried it on a small quad with DIMU and simonk-esc (no CAN).

The textscreens only seem to be very laggy... almost not usable on my MX20. I can modify some PID-Values - but a lot of patience is needed (few of seconds per click).
I was not able to see the waypoints on the receiver so far... live recording seems to work so.

But anyway, GPS, Battery and Status is importand for me. For changing PID values, I have my Android-phone. Thank you very much for your work!
phynix

Postby joebar.rc » Sat May 03, 2014 6:42 pm

Yes, text telemetry and input is slow. Can't help that, that is how graupner designed it. It takes some patience and time and after a while you find it useful I'm sure. It is not meant as a full replacement for a gcs obviously, just for small quick adjustments.
The bonus is that you don't need additional telemetry and that it works even to 4km away :)
In a next version you can assign a free switch for the next key, saves 1.5s and I find it very useful to quickly browse through the screens and even for editing.
I use that moment switch on the mx20 for that..

Menno

PS, I can't change the speed, but if you miss something or have suggestions please let me know
joebar.rc

Postby plexus » Sun May 04, 2014 11:15 am

Thanks again menno. I like that, it is very usefull. Bye bye arduino :mrgreen:
As I have not headset how you heard the messages on the MX20 ?
Last edited by plexus on Sun May 04, 2014 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
plexus

Postby chschmid » Sun May 04, 2014 11:20 am

Hi Menno

I think I have to follow the GRP/HoTT disciples to enjoy your work. Or will your planned Spectrum downlink be ready soon?

I am not familiar with the HoTT stuff. What Tx/Rx do you recomend. (I am not asking for the cheapest. ;) )

Cheers
Christof
chschmid

Postby plexus » Sun May 04, 2014 11:45 am

Hi Christof,
I have the Mx20 hott + GR24, for the AQ and the Futaba T14 SG for the A2 DJI.
The two are similar, but the screen of the futaba is much easier for the menu. But I bought the Futaba only for the sbus.
I am happy with the MX20 and bought this one because of futur developpment for the AQ.
In an older time I had an DX8 and his telemetry on board.
I think Menno has not the time to develop firm for each TX !
At that time MX20 hott seems to be a good plan.
That is my opinion.

Alain
plexus

Postby joebar.rc » Sun May 04, 2014 4:29 pm

Hi Christof,

Actually the spektrum telemetry is almost done, Joerg and I are struckling a bit with one value left but it is working. I hope that in future I (or somebody else) can write an i2c slave driver for the AQ so we can run it onboard. For now you need the mav2hott or its new name mav2telem :).

Ok, mx20 is superb. But.. a couple of weeks ago I bought a spektrum dx9 for the build quality for my fixed wings and helicopters
That was before I was able to hold and try the new HoTT MZ24. Same price range as the spektrum, same quality but great 3.5"color touchscreen with all the bells n whistles. I did notice a textscreen too so probably all HoTT stuff will work, the non textscreen fast telemetry is using full color graphics and that will most certainly work.

So, verdict: mx20 HoTT is great, the HoTT receivers are perfect, for AQ you dont need the high end, I can fly well over 1500m with the cheapest Gr12 receiver and all HoTT telemetry is available.
For a little more you can go for the new mz24 as I probably would do if I was to make the choice now although I cannot say if all hott will work. I follow the protocol to the letter so it should but no reference here...

Menno
joebar.rc

PreviousNext

Return to Connections