[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - Multiple connection on FTDI

Multiple connection on FTDI

Radio, Telemetry, FTDI/USB, ESCs, Motors, etc.

Multiple connection on FTDI

Postby Tjay2365 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:11 pm

Hi guys,

Just finishing off my new Hexa and wondered if the Autoquad ftdi would support powering both a 3DR Telemetry radio and a JD ioboard (and maybe a Minim OSD) without resorting to a separate power supply? I'm not sure on what the power requirements are for these boards are without measuring them but wondered if it would be safe to do so?

Thanks,
Tony
Tjay2365

Re: Multiple connection on FTDI

Postby bn999 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:23 pm

Do you have a combined current estimate? If you are not powering ESC's from the FC, you have a fair bit of current available at that connector.
bn999

Postby Tjay2365 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:42 pm

Hi Bill,
Thanks for the quick reply.
No I'm not powering the ESC's from the FC as it's connected to them via the signal wires and earth only. The JD ioboard is being used for the led lighting (MAV2HOTT) and the led strips themselves powered via a separate ubec. The only things the FC is going to power is the 3DR telemtry transmitter, the JD ioboard (aduino) and maybe another Minim OSD (arduino again?) so I doubt the power requirements are very high but just wanted to check before I go ahead. What is the safe max current you could draw from the FC out of interest?
Tjay2365

Postby kinderkram » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:45 pm

Menno is doing this for longer, mine is also working with the ESC32s powered by the FC:

If in doubt, you could pick up the 5V for a second unit elsewhere.
kinderkram

Postby Tjay2365 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:16 pm

Looks like I should be fine. Thanks for the picture, very helpful.

Cheers guys
Tjay2365

Postby kinderkram » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:55 pm

Easiest way is to simply use 2 of those double row 3pins like the motor connectors and solder them from both sides.
kinderkram

Postby Max » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:07 pm

Personally I've found that powering any kind of Tx via a separate voltage regulator (or UBEC) introduces less noise in the AQ sensors, especially MAGs. This is easy to spot in logs/telemetry. Maybe the extra noise gets filtered out or is otherwise insignificant, but I figure it can't be helpful. Even just a ground+signal connection between AQ and Tx introduces some noise, but less than if power is also routed. YMMV, but I've seen this on all 3 of my AQs and with several different BT and 3DR transceivers. With BT it's fairly minor (can see the LED blinking in the MAG plots for instance, but not much else), but with the 3DR things were worse in my setup.

Might be worth some experimenting. Here are a couple screenshots I dug up, to illustrate.

-Max

mag-bt-test-magz-2.png
BT module powered from AQ - module on (LED blinking), then off (disconnected), then on again (LED blinking) then BT connects at the end (LED steady on).

mag-bt-vreg-test-magz.png
BT module powered via external vreg. - off/on/connected, no obvious difference in plot.
Max

Postby kinderkram » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:14 am

But this is a general problem: mounting the units and routing the wires away from the sensors.
Or does your post refer to the multiple connections and you´re suggesting NOT to do it?
kinderkram

Postby Max » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:38 am

It's "general," true, though unit position or wire config (twisting, routing, etc) doesn't seem to affect the result (I tried). Multiple units could possibly exacerbate the problem. Just suggesting something to check.

-Max
Max

Postby Tjay2365 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:39 pm

Interesting stuff and food for thought Max.

I'm now thinking aong the lines of making a distribution board out of veroboard and powering the power connections from a 5v regulated UBEC and bring the tx rx lines down to that from the FC for the other boards to connect to. Hope that makes some sort of sense.
Tjay2365

Next

Return to Connections