[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - CAN wiring

CAN wiring

Radio, Telemetry, FTDI/USB, ESCs, Motors, etc.

CAN wiring

Postby chschmid » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:13 am

How does the wiring/connections look for CAN use and what precautions must be taken?
What param values from PWM are still used?

Thanks for a short introduction.

Cheers
Christof
chschmid

Re: CAN wiring

Postby Kisssys » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:12 pm

Steve
Kisssys
Kisssys

Postby chschmid » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:38 am

Hi Steve

Thanks a lot for the detailed information. I guess I will wait for Jussis interfaceboards and then give it a try.
My knowledge in electronics is not good enough. I would not even know where to solder the cap (0.1=0.1uF, 5V?)

Maybe when you find the time you could post a picture of the mods on ESC32 side and on FC side.

Cheers
Christof
chschmid

Postby Kisssys » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:00 pm

Christof

This shows the Can Transceiver and C21 which needs to be added.

Cheers
Steve

ESC32CanParts.JPG
Steve
Kisssys
Kisssys

Postby chschmid » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:47 am

Thanks Steve, that looks easy to do.
Where do you connect the two bus lines on the ESC32?
Or where did you solder the 455-1669-ND connector to the esc board?

Is it still possible to use the PWM input with the Can Transceiver mounted?

Cheers
Christof
chschmid

Postby Kisssys » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:46 pm

There are 2 pads just below the IC on the edge marked CANL and CANH. You need to have the ESC powered either from the 5V of the AQ which is recommended or from the onboard regulator. You can leave the PWM connector hooked up and with software either turn CAN on or off. You can even mix them. I've flow with 1,2,3 and 4 CAN controls mixed with PWM on a quad.

The CAN transceiver is only used if the AQ is told to use it and doesn't change the operation of the ESC32 having it onboard.

Cheers
Steve
Steve
Kisssys
Kisssys

Postby axelnied » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:02 pm

axelnied

Postby Kisssys » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:45 pm

Here ya go!

I bend the pins a little so it's more inline with the plane of the circuit board.

I sometimes put a 3 pin connector on the other side for PWM input and use specktrum cables. They are much lighter, more flexible and reduces that stiff bundle of wires that you have at the FC board transmitting vibration to the board.

Cheers
Steve
Attachments
P1040991.JPG
Steve
Kisssys
Kisssys

Postby axelnied » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:20 pm

Steve,

Thanks for the image, that makes things very clear... A few more questions, of course:
a.) I am planning to get the DIMU (which will have a CAN driver), do I still need to add the transceiver (and cap) to each of my ESC32's?
b.) do you have more precise specs for the 0.1uF cap, maybe an order number or link?
c.) I like the PWM connector as well, got some more specs on that too?
d.) do I need to power the ESC32s with an additional 5V when using CAN bus? So then I have three wires again?

US Sources (digikey.com):
transceiver: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/e ... -ND/571265
2-pin male-pins:
2-pin female:
3 pin male-pins:
0.1F cap:
axelnied

Postby chschmid » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:51 pm

chschmid

Next

Return to Connections