[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - Current Sensor - shown in QGC

Current Sensor - shown in QGC

Ground Stations and utilities for Windows, Linux, Android, & others

Current Sensor - shown in QGC

Postby axelnied » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:07 am

Hi,

I am interested in getting "consumption" data into the QGC...
What are my options and what parts would I need to make this work?

I am using a Spektrum DX8, they offer a separate current sensor for around $45, to display the consumed mAh in the display of the TX. Nice, but not exactly what I am looking for.

Does MavLink data allow for current data?
axelnied

Re: Current Sensor - shown in QGC

Postby Max » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:05 am

Yea, Mavlink does have a standard message type with a battery current field. It's part of the SYS_STATUS message, IIRC. The problem is where to get the data and then how to inject it into the status message that AQ currently sends. Since AQ doesn't have a current sensor onboard, there would need to be a hardware add-on, which somehow communicates with the AQ, and some code in the firmware to do the communication and send the current measurement via mavlink. Or some way to send a mavlink message directly from the current sensor (probably not very practical). The AQ does have a number of interfaces/types that can be used, so perhaps there is an existing off-the-shelf unit that can be fitted.

There is also the option of estimating current flow based on voltage and a known discharge curve... the AQ code does a bit of this already, and there are instructions in the docs about how to profile a battery so that the AQ can run a better estimate of the battery state. But this would obviously be less accurate than actual measurement.

Cheers,
-Max
Max

Postby LPR » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:38 am

Max

I already have one of these current sensors. http://store.diydrones.com/APM_Power_Mo ... apmpwr.htm

My octo has two batteries so I'll just use one sensor X2

Larry
LPR

Postby axelnied » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:55 am

axelnied

Postby kinderkram » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:14 am

Wouldn't it be better anyway to monitor the current draw at the lipo directly, instead through the FC?
Some users who use 6s and/or power their boards through UBECs would be doomed in that case.

Next question: how do they feed the data to the APM's?
kinderkram

Postby axelnied » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:15 am

axelnied

Postby LPR » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:34 pm

The sensor for APM is connected between the battery and the main harness so it can read all current used. It connect to a plug on the board and the value is then sent to the Mission Planner.

I'm sure someone will come up with the FW mod to use a current sensor like Arducopter's.

Larry
LPR

Postby axelnied » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:02 pm

I took a look at the AQ board and could find some I2C connectors...
Would that be the way to go, with a sensor like this!?

only US$ 10...

EDIT: ugh forget it, only takes 3amps... Little low!? But I am sure there are other I2C sensors avail?
Last edited by axelnied on Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
axelnied

Postby chschmid » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:08 pm

I am afraid it measures only a few amps but we need 100A measurement.
Maybe we could use
Maybe Mr. Isler will give us the protocol.

Best

Christof
chschmid

Postby kinderkram » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:18 pm

That'll be a nice bob but unfortunately it can only measure up to 3,2A.
Other units measure up to 90A
kinderkram

Next

Return to AQ Software