Mac version of qgroundcontrol for AQ

Ground Stations and utilities for Windows, Linux, Android, & others

Re: Mac version of qgroundcontrol for AQ Ported!

Postby Wingspinner » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:31 pm

Max wrote:The "LOL" means you're joking, right? :) If not... developing Bluetooth apps for iOS requires some serious hoop jumping -- you must sign up for the special Apple MFi program and even then I think you're limited in terms of which devices you may connect to (not sure on that last part -- the whole process is rather secretive and even requires signing an NDA for some reason). Plus publishing iOS apps is just loads of fun... :roll: Of course if we could get an iOS developer on board who already has all those points covered (or is willing to deal with them)... that could be cool.

-Max

Hi Max,
I think you've interpreted the MFi program info incorrectly. This page offers quite a bit of clarity on it: http://mfi.apple.com/faqs. The very first paragraph says this in the last sentence:
Case developers, app developers and developers of accessories that only use standard technology (e.g., Bluetooth Low Energy or standard Bluetooth profiles) do not need to join the MFi Program.

I am an Apple developer but it is strictly a business relationship for me and I"m not a "fan-boy". At the same time, I'm not anti-Apple either and I understand why they do what they do and I see how it's resulted, in most cases, positive benefits for consumers. My experience recently is that it's actually one of the best developer programs I've been involved in because it's low cost, the support is outstanding (compared to other programs), the information flow is tremendous (more than I can handle), and the terms are very clear and crisp (these days). If you asked me two years ago I might have answered differently. With SJ gone much of the unreasonableness that was often cited seems to be going away which is a good thing. The chief negative at the moment is it's too easy to become a developer and the competition for visibility in the app store is beyond incredible.

Anyhow, not trying to "convert" you. I don't think it would be too difficult to duplicate the functionality of the Android version on IOS - it's a very rich dev environment. An iPad version would be pretty awesome. I might get motivated to do it or collaborate with someone on it at some point. I'd like to see get a better view and "warm fuzzy" on the future of AutoQuad though.

Cheers,
Ron
Wingspinner

Postby kinderkram » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:05 am

Get her airborne first.
The warm fuzziness comes instantly ... if you treated her well. ;)

There hasn't been much demand from Mac users so far. Most of them use Windoze, Linux or Android.
I have to confess that most of my machines run something else than SJ's heritage.

btw: there's a Mac version of the original QGroundControl:
https://github.com/mavlink/qgroundcontrol/downloads

Did you take this one for your port?
kinderkram

Postby Max » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:45 am

Wingspinner wrote:I think you've interpreted the MFi program info incorrectly. This page offers quite a bit of clarity on it: http://mfi.apple.com/faqs. The very first paragraph says this in the last sentence:
Case developers, app developers and developers of accessories that only use standard technology (e.g., Bluetooth Low Energy or standard Bluetooth profiles) do not need to join the MFi Program.

Well, I don't know what they mean by "standard Bluetooth profiles." But searching on the subject consistently brings up the MFI program. Including on the DIYD post/thread that Norbert posted above, the OP states in the discussion that he had to do the MFi thing too. In fact if you look over the discussion over there, it sounds like a PITA, especially with the new maps mess in the latest iOS (they nixed gmaps for their own maps product).

Anyway, I don't really have any first-hand experience in iOS dev like you do, so I'm just going by what I read. And of course one can't believe everything one reads... ;) Good to hear that their developer relations are improving.

I personally can't stand using most Apple products, but yea, from a professional standpoint I recognize the need to support the platforms. 8-)

Mavelous looks interesting but I'm not sure why one would need to use it... they claim one reason if for portability and show it being used in an iOS browser, but the silly part is that you still need a server to actually receive the broadcasts and pass them on to the Web app -- so that means needing a laptop in the field anyway, and possibly a WiFi router as well (does iOS support ad-hoc yet?). But it's a neat idea, I guess could be useful in some circumstances.

-Max
Max

Re: Mac version of qgroundcontrol for AQ Ported

Postby Wingspinner » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:01 am

kinderkram wrote:Get her airborne first.
The warm fuzziness comes instantly ... if you treated her well. ;)

I have great confidence in AQ's current flying abilities. After all, you guys tell us everything we need to know. ;)

kinderkram wrote:btw: there's a Mac version of the original QGroundControl:
https://github.com/mavlink/qgroundcontrol/downloads
Did you take this one for your port?

No, that's a precompiled binary with no AQ support. I downloaded the generic sources, added AQ changes, and compiled for OSX. I started with the official QGC sources because I couldn't get your files to compile without lots of errors so rather than spend time trying to figure that out I thought it easer to go back to the official sources. You should be able to take the exact files I sent you and compile them unchanged under Windows and Linux as well - but you guys know that already.

I forked a branch of the official QGC sources which anyone can access. Here's the link: https://github.com/wingspinner/qgroundcontrol

There is also a zipped precompiled binary for those who don't want to compile from scratch. You should be able to just download this and copy it into your "Applications" folder: https://github.com/wingspinner/qgroundcontrol/blob/master/binaries/qgroundcontrol.app.zip

Again, works for me but no guarantees!

kinderkram wrote:There hasn't been much demand from Mac users so far. Most of them use Windoze, Linux or Android.
I have to confess that most of my machines run something else than SJ's heritage.

I'm just living up to my commitment. Would be nice to have the closed source command line utilities to go with it and host it on the AQ site though.

Regards,
Last edited by Wingspinner on Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wingspinner

Postby sandmen » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:39 am

Ron,
thanks for compiling this on a MAC.
But, why you don't use the source, from our download site?
Everybody can do his own version, no problem.
But why do we need different base qgroundcontrol versions?
sandmen

Postby Wingspinner » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:39 am

sandmen wrote:Ron,
thanks for compiling this on a MAC.
But, why you don't use the source, from our download site?
Everybody can do his own version, no problem.
But why do we need different base qgroundcontrol versions?

As I wrote, it's because I couldn't get your sources to compile withou a lot of errors. This was because many files had been moved around and the make files included where specific to the structure you had and apparently windows or linux. To generate a Mac make file you need to run qmake and it expexts everything to be in the original stricture so it came up with a pile of errors also. So the two paths i could think of were to determine your changes and apply them to a fork of the offical QGC sources and run qmake to get a valid make file or to try and build a make file manually. The latter seem much more difficult and had no benefit while the former was easier ( to me) and had the benefit of getting synced up with the official QGC repository.

Also, it's not "my own version". I didn't change the widget code a bit. I simply plugged it in to the standard QGC sources exactly as it was in your stuff and recompiled. So ots whatever verson of the widget you published and the current release of QGC. Here's the link: https://github.com/wingspinner/qgroundcontrol

There is also a zipped precompiled binary for those who don't want to compile from scratch. You should be able to just download this and copy it into your "Applications" folder: https://github.com/wingspinner/qgroundc ... ol.app.zip

I would think you would WANT to be in sync with the AGC repository so you can easily keep it updated with the latest QGS updates rather than have to wade through a standalone set of files that are in totally different folders than the repository. Now it's easy just stay synced. Why wouldn't you want that?

Hey, I'm trying to help and trying to do things the best way and how I know from experience that most projects would be happy with (working off an easily accessable fork or a branch rather than a stand alone zip file that's hard to maintain). If I did it the way you propose and showed it to the QGC guys ( or most other OSS developers I know) they would be saying "why the heck are you working off some unknown standalone archive that doesn't reflect or track the repository when you could just start a branch and easily update as new QGC versions are released as well as easily commit back to the master release at some point?" Or a shorter version of that!

I'm quite sure this is the better path although I guess it's rubbing you the wrong way. Sorry about that. I would hope you would see this as an opportunity to get on a path that makes it easier for you and fives you a better product rather than a problem but apparently not. Oh we'll. you can't win 'em all!
Last edited by Wingspinner on Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wingspinner

Re: Mac version of qgroundcontrol for AQ Running

Postby kinderkram » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:52 am

Thanks for the time and work you put into this, Ron - highly appriciated.
I'll try your precompiled version on a friend's Mac next week. I hope some other Apple users can/will confirm it's working for them.
kinderkram

Postby joebar.rc » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:58 am

Hi Ron,

I'll download the version you created for sure, although I probably won't take my 27" imac to the field.
What parts from Peters development are needed for you to maintain this mac version?. We can sure make it easy with granting upload access for you. Only Norbert needs to increase the allowed upload size.

Or if preferred a link to the mac version on your site.

ps. I don't think Peter is taking it the wrong way, I fur sure aren't. But different developers can have different views. But as it is a community project with one mutual goal, I tend to think that those differences can be solved easily.
joebar.rc

Postby sandmen » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:43 pm

Ron,
please don't get me wrong.

But, the Project I uploaded should work with qmake.
I need to run the qmake also on windows, to generate the Project files.
On Linux, we can use the QT Creator, and use the qmake.
It should also run on MAC.
If that doesn't work, we should find out, whats going wrong.
If we have a stable qgroundcontrol, we should go to the next step, and update to the current version.

Also the support is very difficult, if we have different versions out.
We have already enough versions out.

Again Ron,
please don't get me wrong. I'm happy, to have a talented guy on board.
But we should talking about the "roadmap" or next targets.
And work together on a clear target.
peter
sandmen

Postby epyonxero » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:02 pm

I downloaded the precompiled file and unzipped but I dont see an app and the installer package in the folder gives an error.
epyonxero

PreviousNext

Return to AQ Software