[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - When is acro mode coming?

When is acro mode coming?

News, Setup, Compiling, Flashing, Development

Re: When is acro mode coming?

Postby Max » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:32 pm

In other news, I've flown my first flips with an AQ, in a new rate mode... :) Albeit only on a HIL simulator for now (which is yet another project with a long story). But it's very promising. Still flies very smooth like AQ should, at least in Quatos mode. Haven't tried PID yet but theoretically it should work the same.

At this point I'm not sure a "mixed" rate/angle mode makes a lot of sense... how do you get zero rotation rate if you can't center the sticks? And w/out zero rotation rate, it just keeps accelerating around the axis, no way to stop it at a fixed angle... I've tried a few ways of switching between modes based on stick deflection and so far none of them seem very useful or fun. It would definitely need to be some kind of expo/fusion of rate/angle commands to be interesting.

What does work great is switching back to full-stabilize ("angle") mode from rate mode, even when inverted... AQ pops up like a cork in water. :)

Anyway, more testing to be done.

-Max
Max

Postby brat002 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:00 pm

Great news! :) Waiting for release.
brat002

Postby LPR » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:17 pm

Max

Rate mode would add some fun to AQ flying in FPV.

A switch or pushbutton on the Tx to go back to stabilised manual flight mode and barometric altitude hold would help beginners learn FPV.

Larry
LPR

Postby Patscherpofel » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:19 pm

Max, I cant follow you 100%
from my experiecne I really like to use the mix mode on other FCs
If I should decribe it ...its tuned like an agressive angle mode ( so you can easily fly very steep angles ,much more then 45 degrees)
then I like to set the transition to rate mode somewhere around 80degrees
this feels very natural cause from there on you normally want to flip it around anyways
its very easy to learn flips and to fpv like this
Patscherpofel

Postby Max » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:02 pm

Max

Postby Cookiemonsta » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:44 pm

I'd vote for pure acro mode, everything else is just another acc mixed mode. For FPV pure acro mode is best. What's so wrong about implementing more than one "acro mode" and make it selectable in a dropdown menu? There can be mixtures and a pure version (only desired rates).
Cookiemonsta

Postby Max » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:03 pm

Yeah, pure rate mode is great and should definitely be an option. I was just ivestigating what these mixed modes were about... never tried any myself. Seems like they're maybe not that practcal, or to work around limitations on other FCs. Doing flips while still in angle mode sounds like the main attraction. Thats fun but gets old pretty quick.

"FPV" used to mean "out for a nice relaxing flight above the trees" and AQ PH/DVH is perfect for that. Now apparently it means racing? Its hard to keep up1 :)

-Max
Max

Postby Patscherpofel » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:35 pm

I agree , acro is by far most important, the rest is mostly options to fool around

off topic , but while talking about flight modes
I allways wish for a gps guided flight mode that flys pretty much exactly like angle mode
I do aerial filming for a living and mostly use angle mode for this
but if its windy and you still want to do slow moves it would be cool to use a gps mode
my problem here is that so it feels not natural to switch back and forth between them
a common gps mode changes the speeds in the wrong order
on angle mode when I change sticks I slowly start a move but then want to keep that speed
But a gps mode starts very fast to compensate for the error and the slows down once it reaches the speed
maybe there a workaround to solve this with the autoquad software, but I haven't found a way to do this
Patscherpofel

Postby Mullet » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:16 am

So it sounds like it will be quite feasible via switch to add in an "acro" or "rate" mode. So this would be "gyro only", but still maintain PIDs or Quatos.

What I think might be cool is to have the option to have it instead of another mode, for instance Alt Hold or Mission mode.

The existing "manual" mode works quite well on AQ... I've never been sure what to call that mode in terms of its equivalence to horizon or angle mode in MultiWii / Cleanflight.

Thanks for considering this!
Mullet

Postby Max » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:08 am

Max

PreviousNext

Return to AQ Firmware