[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - Recommendation for firmware version to use with DIMU

Recommendation for firmware version to use with DIMU

News, Setup, Compiling, Flashing, Development

Recommendation for firmware version to use with DIMU

Postby hogster » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:37 am

Hi everyone :)

Hope all is well in the AQ world :D

After a long absence I need to get back to tinkering with my X8 Octocopter which is running with an AQ board and a DIMU 1.1 board. I'm still in the tuning stages and the last time I flew it I was still having vibration problems – see attached.

I have a few questions before I start tinkering again:

– Is there a 'stable' version of the DIMU code which you would recommend I start with? I've been told by some members to always use the latest version of the DIMU code as it's improving all the time, but by others to not use the latest code until it has been thoroughly tested. The last firmware I was using was 'aqv7.0.r414.b1790-hwv6.1-dimu1.1-drate80' – a derivative of r414 which I believe Max had tweaked (drate80).

- Which parameter should I adjust to 'smooth' the ESC demands? I've noticed on several occasions one of the motors (a different one each time) 'coughing' as it presumably loses sync with the ESC due to very rapid changes in speed demand. Reducing Tilt Rate D made a big improvement to smoothing the ESC demands (the motors used to make strong scratching noises). Does the attached MOT graph look particularly noisy?

- Is there a risk of high vibration levels causing saturation in the flight controller algorithms that could lead to a crash? The flight where the attached log files were recorded was actually a very smooth hover, so it seems to be flying fine – but I don't want to run the risk of having it fall out of the sky if it gets hit by strong turbulence that increases the vibrations still further.

Many thanks for your help, it's much appreciated – I want to get this platform flying well :)

David
Attachments
2014-08-29 ACC plots.png
ACC plots from last flight
2014-08-29 MOT plots.png
MOT plots from last flight
hogster

Re: Recommendation for firmware version to use with DIMU

Postby hogster » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:36 pm

Any thoughts chaps? I will probably start to tinker this week so it would be great to know if I'm starting on a sound basis.

Many thanks for your help,

David :)
hogster

Re: Recommendation for firmware version to use with DIMU

Postby chschmid » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:45 am

Hi David

What I can see from your logs attached are heavy vibrations. IMHO you have to get rid of the vibs first. Check the balance of your props. Check the structural dynamics of your frame
Your motors are not aligned properly or the props/Kv do not match (mot Graph).
I tested some of r431 yesterday and it works nice. I also tested 403 a while ago with good results. But it could always be that some undetected misbehavior causes problems.

Cheers
Christof
chschmid

Return to AQ Firmware