[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - new AQ build... but yaw drifting [SOLVED]

new AQ build... but yaw drifting [SOLVED]

News, Setup, Compiling, Flashing, Development

new AQ build... but yaw drifting [SOLVED]

Postby chris24g » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:38 am

finally got around to setting up another AQ quad. calibrations and calculations seem to be within spec.

when i got around to tuning, i noticed that the the quad was yawing CCW very very slowly, almost unnoticeable. it is not a tx trim issue. it will not trim out unless it is almost maxed, and i know the AQ should not fly like this. my other AQ is perfect in hover. i have kind of gotten spoiled by how well it flies.

maybe related (or not), is that on the bench the HUD will show the AQ is a few degrees from level even though i know it is level.

i'm guessing it could be
1) bad cal
2) bad calybso dance
3) bad acc/gyro

Last edited by chris24g on Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chris24g

Re: new AQ build... but yaw drifting

Postby Kisssys » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:15 am

It takes very little tilt error in the motors to cause it to yaw in one direction. Check that they are all level. If they look good, take a motor pair and tilt them a fraction of a degree in the direction needed to counteract the yaw. It doesn't take much to make a lot of difference.
Steve
Kisssys
Kisssys

Re: new AQ build... but yaw drifting [SOLVED]

Postby chris24g » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:11 am

I tried rotating the motors very slightly to counteract the torque, but it induced a wobble in the AQ. In my gut, I knew that the AQ should be almost effortless to hover, so I knew there was something causing the drift.

Putting on my detective hat, I swapped the board out with my known good AQ. To my surprise, it also had the same yaw drift. So that basically ruled out the AQ board entirely :)

So the variables left are:
1) motors
2) escs
3) something else

I am using these new pancake TMotors and SimonK flashed escs, which have been rumored to have some compatibility issues. Simon's test is to secure the craft and go from 0 to full throttle as quickly as possible to see if there are any sync issues (stalled or slowing motors). Putting a car tire over each side of the landing gear, I performed the test, and the motors/escs behaved normally. I was relieved to know that these new motors were not a waste of money, but now I had to look elsewhere.

I looked at the monitor on my Tx and after scrolling around the menus, noticed that the rudder was just barely left of center (had to really look), even though the trim was in the center position. I checked the Tx for mixes and trim offsets but all were 0. I then fired up the groundcontrol software and checked what the radio was really sending to the AQ. I then could see that the rudder was reading about 48% instead of 50% (center). All that was left to do was to add subtrim until it read 50%.

Test hovered and drift is gone :D

So it was a Tx trim issue, but somehow at neutral trim my Tx is off. Hope this helps someone with a similar issue.
chris24g

Postby Kisssys » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:40 am

Its always a nice feeling when you get things to work right. Rotating the motors slightly shouldn't induce a wobble so not sure what that's all about.

The board started out on Spektrum, if your using anything else you need to check the radio centering and throws on each install especially if you have a PPM converter.
Steve
Kisssys
Kisssys

Postby chris24g » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:01 am

chris24g

Return to AQ Firmware