Compiled firmare repository - latest and historical builds

News, Setup, Compiling, Flashing, Development

Re: Firmware builds at Google code site

Postby Max » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:19 pm

Angel, have you read this thread: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=44 ? The latest instructions are towards the end. If you have any questions after that, probably best to use that thread instead of this one.

Steve, I'm not sure what you mean. With the new behavior, it doesn't matter if you leave the switch high/low. That's partly my point. Until you re-arm, anyway, and you can't arm with that switch out of neutral (IIRC).

-Max
Max

Postby chschmid » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:40 pm

Max wrote:Steve, I'm not sure what you mean. With the new behavior, it doesn't matter if you leave the switch high/low. That's partly my point. Until you re-arm, anyway, and you can't arm with that switch out of neutral (IIRC).

-Max

Hi Max
I understand the rubberband. I understand that the continious Setting homeposition is very undesireable.

So how does it work now?
1. Home is set at every switch from neutral to high. (which is the desired behaviour)
2. RTH is started at every switch from neutral to low. RTH aborts and PH is set when moving the nick & roll sticks. Does it also abort when moving the TH stick?
Sorry for being that complicated. :)

Cheers
Christof
chschmid

Postby Max » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:28 pm

Hi Christof,

You have that all correct (and thanks for the details). Moving throttle out of deadband will not abort RTH position (horizontal movement to home), but will override the set altitude (vertical movement to home). Does that seem logical/what one might expect? We do need to update the docs in this regard.

-Max
Max

Postby Kisssys » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:49 pm

Hi Max,

Steve, I'm not sure what you mean. With the new behavior, it doesn't matter if you leave the switch high/low. That's partly my point. Until you re-arm, anyway, and you can't arm with that switch out of neutral (IIRC).

I thought finally had this nav.c thing figured out.

Where in the code does it prevent me from resetting home position after arming as many times as I want?
Steve
Kisssys
Kisssys

Postby chschmid » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:12 pm

Max wrote:Hi Christof,

You have that all correct (and thanks for the details). Moving throttle out of deadband will not abort RTH position (horizontal movement to home), but will override the set altitude (vertical movement to home). Does that seem logical/what one might expect? We do need to update the docs in this regard.

-Max

Hi Max

This is logical. It's good that alt override is not cancelling the RTH.
If something goes wrong, it is good to know that moving the pitch/roll stick cancels the RTH.
The user has to be aware of this function and know it is a feature and not a bug. ;)

A second logical approach would be to engage RTH when moving the switch from mid to low. RTH would either be cancelled when switching back to center or after reaching home. A dangerous situation could occur when switching back to center in panic (and moving to far) and setting a new home position. But basically this is worked around with the one sec delay.

Cheers
Christof
chschmid

Postby Max » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:41 pm

Kisssys wrote:Where in the code does it prevent me from resetting home position after arming as many times as I want?

Nowhere. As long as you move the switch back to neutral, you can set home or RTH as many times as you want. I'm just saying with the new way, if you accidentally leave the switch high/low, it doesn't matter... They only work the moment they're toggled from neutral (like a momentary contact, not a toggle switch).

Christof's idea that you could cancel RTH by moving the switch back to neutral makes sense. I never thought of it that way myself, but it could be more logical/intuitive (like an RTH on/off switch). But we can't really have it both ways at once... it would have to be another setting, I think, or change the current behavior again (which would be a significant difference from current). I do like it though. :)

-Max
Max

Postby Kisssys » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:33 pm

Hi Max,

Ok, I thought I could do that. I think the ability to not be able to set a new home position without rearming is a good thought. I had mentioned how I accidentally set a new home position when a mission I flew stopped to far away to see what it was doing. In reaching for the switch as I nervously watched the ship I bumped the switch forward to new home position and I was in real trouble. I finally remembered the heading it stopped on so I could visualize what to do to bring it back in PH.

If your were prevented from doing a new home position when greater than a safe visual distance from the starting point would be a nice addition. I don't really care, it's fine the way it is now. Christof's idea seems fine too or go back to rubber banding.
Steve
Kisssys
Kisssys

Postby kinderkram » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:05 am

I want to be able to set a homepoint whenever I want - not just once. I also accidently overwrote the previously stored HP but that's just one thing you need to get used to... ;)
A RTH can be canceled by switching back to manual so there's no urge to have another option (though it would be logical to have RTH canceled when pushing the switch to mid position).

It's a great feature being able to override the flight behaviour on RTH, i.e. when it comes in too low, ovoid obstacles and such.

I was amazed to see the override even work on mission flights, especially in orbit mode. Makes it easy to correct the altitude of an orbit or fly a spiral around an object. 8-)

Imo stick inputs should always override autonomous behaviour in any situation...
kinderkram

Postby Ecky » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:13 am

Hi Steve,

Kisssys wrote:Hi Max,

Ok, I thought I could do that. I think the ability to not be able to set a new home position without rearming is a good thought. I had mentioned how I accidentally set a new home position when a mission I flew stopped to far away to see what it was doing. In reaching for the switch as I nervously watched the ship I bumped the switch forward to new home position and I was in real trouble. I finally remembered the heading it stopped on so I could visualize what to do to bring it back in PH.

If your were prevented from doing a new home position when greater than a safe visual distance from the starting point would be a nice addition. I don't really care, it's fine the way it is now. Christof's idea seems fine too or go back to rubber banding.

I totally agree with you! Have same experience as fingering around the switches in rush.

In my opinion the RTH is a real important safety issue, like a panic button (automatic during some rc problems)
and not a quick and dirty waipointsetting tool. I think every pilot looks for a safe takeoff point to start his flight and that should be the RTH point. It doesn’t make sense to set the RTH point fare away from the takeoff point
because in panic or accident the copter should be back in a safe place.

With this in mind, isn’t it better to set the home position automatically at the ground when
recognizing a stable GPS position (perhaps with a fixed for example 5m accuracy ore parameter
driven accuracy) and then indicating this logged home position with permanent flashing the
blue GPS led (pilot has the decision prevent starting without home position ore possibility to
do some indoor flights without GPS). After this initial home position setting it isn’t possible to
change the fixed position before rearming and starting the automatic process again
(OK adding some altitude is necessary - fixed or parameter driven distance)!

Then Christof’s idea is coming up. You only use a 2 way switch to start ore stop RTH action.
Stopping possibility is important thinking about obstacles on the strait way back but not only
stopping, position override to avoid obstacles is important too (in urban areas we have a lot of
obstacles and not the conditions like “in the middle of nowhere” – Sorry Max ;) ).Stopping RTH
then means switching in PH.

Perhaps it is useful to include automatic landing in RTH too, if you don’t want the landing
you can stop the RTH with the switch, landing is avoided and PH is engaged.

I know this thinking is very restrictive and fare away from the actual implementation but I couldn’t
see the need of setting the home position away from the takeoff point and changing it during a flight session.
The possibility to do that takes more risks as benefit.

Greatings
Christian
Ecky

Postby Kisssys » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:03 pm

With this in mind, isn’t it better to set the home position automatically at the ground

When the copter is armed, if their is no previous home position stored it does automatically create a home waypoint.

I use the ability to set a new home position a lot and wouldn't want to have to disarm and rearm to get what I want, I would of course give it up if It was obvious I was too far away and was doing it by accident. When I fly fpv I sometimes will fly to an altitude and position that I can safely return to and then take off my goggles and land. I also use different positions and use the RTH functions to see the nav response back to the waypoint from different altitudes, heading and positions.

RTH returns to the altitude it was set and is somewhat hazardess to use if you don't set it a little above the ground.

If you use TO in a mission, as soon as it lifts off it makes the current position the home waypoint, the altitude it is going to the RTL altitude and set's the RTL heading to relative so it comes back towards the waypoint.

I'm not sure what to do with the RTH switch. I liked the rubber banding in RTH just to tell me that's where I left the switch. If it would only RTH when the switch was in RTH, rubber band after getting their and return immediately to PH mode whenever the switch was in neutral. Switch to set home position would only trigger once until it went back to neutral for a while so accidently leaving it their would not keep it updating to where you've flown.

I've gotten lost here but I think that was Max's intent.
Steve
Kisssys
Kisssys

PreviousNext

Return to AQ Firmware