[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - Tricopter possible?

Tricopter possible?

News, Setup, Compiling, Flashing, Development

Tricopter possible?

Postby Yups » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:48 pm

Hey guys!

Is it possible to control a tricopter with servo and autoquad?

Tricopters are very nice for small camercopters in gopro and nex class.

Greetings from Germany
Yups
Yups

Re: Tricopter possible?

Postby LPR » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:22 pm

Yup

Yup I think it should be possible. The motor mix would probably be.
motor--pitch--roll---yaw
1. 100 50 50 0
2. 100 50 -50 0
3. 100 -50 0 0
4. 100 0 0 100

motor 1 front left
motor 2 front right
motor 3 rear
servo = 4

Might work

Larry
LPR

Postby Yups » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:20 pm

Thanks larry!

I'm still planning. Hope somebody who already owns a tricopter will try it with autoquad. Or i have to build an experimental tri with some cheap parts.
Yups

Postby teramax » Thu May 29, 2014 10:39 pm

excuse me for digging out such an old tread but i have the feeling that tricopters are not completly out.
Just the case that common FC´s like Naza does not support Tri looks for me like a reason to try tri :lol: with AQ.

Guys what do you think, i probably get hands on a good Tricopter mechanic and a neat small foldable GoPro/ Möbius ship.
Not one, we could have a bigger number of them. But fact is there are no good FC´s out there that support Tri.
somehow everything can fly
teramax

Postby JussiH » Thu May 29, 2014 11:06 pm

I still have my old tris...And I still like the way they fly and yaw.

What Larry suggest is valid, except from the servo which in that setup would be updated at 400 hz and the rear motor needs 100 percent pitch authority to be balanced out with the 2 front ones. Tricopters usually also lean over a bit in hovering, due to 2 props going one way and 1 prop going the other way + tail rotor tilt is compensating for it. I dont know how AQ would respond to a "off level" hovering attitude....but I am very interested in knowing if it could be done.

I am not sure that the high update rate on the servos. Its probably neither desireable for control or good for the servo but some can take it....I suspect it would react with a lot of jitter, and there would probably have to be done some lowpass filtering to make it smooth and the update rate would have to be lowered.

It shouldnt take one of our coders long time to setup a dedicated yaw channel with a slower update rate so that you dont fry a servo when you try it.
JussiH

Postby SuperSharpShooter » Thu May 29, 2014 11:08 pm

I've had quite a few tri's based on the RcExplorer 2.6 design, and they work well as long as long as you keep them light. The yaw mechanism is light, strong and reliable (vs the fpvmanuals tricopter yaw mechanism which is terrible). I also saw a while back Denny Rowland built a long-endurance tri with 15" props, and instead of tilting the rear motor, it used a servo to move vanes below the prop to direct the airflow.
-Glenn
SuperSharpShooter

Return to AQ Firmware