[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - ARMED MULTI WITHOUT SIGNS OF ARMING IS DANGEROUS

ARMED MULTI WITHOUT SIGNS OF ARMING IS DANGEROUS

News, Setup, Compiling, Flashing, Development

Re: ARMED MULTI WITHOUT SIGNS OF ARMING IS DANGEROUS

Postby Ruffio » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:03 pm

I have no more to add - after arming, motors should spin at low PWM.
Is there any resonable reason to avoid this as it is now?
Ruffio

Postby Trnquill » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:17 am

I hope this would be a feature one can easily switch on and off in qGC. I for one don't want my motors spinning when armed at all times. Usually it's a good safety feature, but not necessarily when for example bench testing.

What if the motors were beeping every five seconds or something when the ESCs are armed? This would be a feature of ESC32 obviously, not AQ.
Trnquill

Postby hogster » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:32 am

I find the current system perfectly reasonable - on booting the ESCs aren't given a PWM signal so they sit there beeping. No amount of moving the throttle stick will make the motors start. Hold right rudder for 3 seconds, the ESCs arm and you're good to go. What's not to like? :)

David
hogster

Postby Jdmagoo » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:56 am

I'm of the same opinion, you only arm when your ready and so do you need a rotating prop to indicate that your've held the rudder for longer than 3 secs?
Jdmagoo

Postby Ruffio » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:49 pm

After arm motors, they are ready to spin when THR goes up. it is not hard to figure out that in this point it is safer to show it EVERY possible way that platform is "dangerous".
About "no PWM" when FC is not armed - strange but most ESC is beeping - whay is that? Is there ANY danger because we have POWER ON the system and noise is good solution for that? Is possible that platform will start spinn motors (without arming)?

I have to say that way how it is workinkg now is abs unusefull.
Ruffio

Postby JussiH » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:47 pm

When you arm its shown with LED signals on main board and external signalling. The GUI says "armed" and prints a message in the console and the ESCs give a beep and the LED on them goes green.

If after that you are not aware or forget that you just armed your craft, I would advise to reconsider if handling dangerous equipment like an MR is an ideal path for you.... ;)

Having the motors spin when armed is in my personal opinion completely useless and a total nuisance. And if I push the argument a bit, I could state that its also dangerous, since the time it takes to stop motors completely gets considerably longer than the time it takes to just lower the throttle stick to 0.

As I remember, it originally came from the way Multiwii made sure that a minimum throttle level was always maintained to prevent the motors from stopping in flight. The intention was never to create a way of showing you the craft was armed, but to make sure ESC´s would never go below a predefined level.

And in multiwii, the option to disable it was present from some of the very first releases - why? Because a lot of people found it annoying and asked for a way to disable it.

I think the sentiment in most of the team is that its not needed so its not been proritized, since it means adding more parameters and we have a lot of other things we are prioritizing to do with the ressources we have.
JussiH

Postby LordPikaChu » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:58 pm

LordPikaChu

Postby LPR » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:01 am

I don't care if the motors spin or talk or just wag back and forth but some very easy to see signal that the motors are armed would be good. I also would like to have the AQ disarm if, while the throttle is low and there is no RC control inputs for 20 seconds. If the throttle trim is changed by myself or others the AQ will not disarm. Just having the throttle in a low position and not giving any other RC inputs, would have the multi disarm in 20 seconds.

I have had a bad experienced having landed a multicopter and before I disarmed, others around me asked questions and then I turned off the Tx thinking the multi was disarmed. As soon as the Tx was off the multi started flying around by itself and crashed. This was not my multi and I know the failsafe was not setup properly but after the experience I don't like having a multi armed without it being very obvious.

Larry
LPR

Postby bn999 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:46 am

bn999

Postby Trnquill » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:59 am

Trnquill

PreviousNext

Return to AQ Firmware