ARMED MULTI WITHOUT SIGNS OF ARMING IS DANGEROUS

News, Setup, Compiling, Flashing, Development

ARMED MULTI WITHOUT SIGNS OF ARMING IS DANGEROUS

Postby Andrej » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:00 pm

Which parametr to change to compel motors to spin after arming?
Played with mot_start and mot_min without success.

bs Simonk, mt2216
Last edited by Andrej on Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Andrej

Re: Motors not spin on arming

Postby Andrej » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:42 pm

Is that normal that motors not spin after arming ? and starting only on throttle up ?
Last edited by Andrej on Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrej

Postby chschmid » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:26 pm

Hi Andrej

Yes, thats normal.
chschmid

Postby Andrej » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:28 pm

But this is dangerous.

Is there any way to make traditional scheme? Like Mikrokopter, Multiwii and another wide spread sistems.
Andrej

Postby chschmid » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:35 pm

Not as far as I know. But you can only arm the board with the throttle closed. So no worry, it is safe.
chschmid

Postby Andrej » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:55 pm

I know a guy who were wounded because forgot about arming the motors.
I many time saw like people suddenly starting their coptres just because not see that it armed. It very known problem.

And sure the MK, MW and all others also can start only when throttle in low position.

Hope it will implemented in next versions.
Andrej

Re: Motors have to spin on arming

Postby LPR » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:59 am

I agree with you that not having the props spin is dangerous. I have my throttle joy stick spring to center so it is easier to fly in Alt/Position Hold and Mission flight mode. It also makes it not possible to set the Tx down and forget that you have a copter armed.

Larry
LPR

Postby joebar.rc » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:46 am

Sorry to jump in, but if people don't know their copter is armed because the props aren't spinning, then there is definitely something wrong with their pre flight checks .
Since the multirotors came into the hands of people that normally don't fly helicopters or airplanes, the number of accidents is rising.
I have learned to check every time and I meant every time before start to check the status and switches, because when you forgot that on a 800 size heli, you can end up with very serious problems.

So, instead of masking the lack of preflight checks with spinning rotors, just learn to check before you do anything.
It is not to difficult to program that behavior, but I won't do it.

I also have a throttle hold switch that just keeps the throttle on zero, since day one I (and every person on our club) learned to keep that switch low and only when you and the surroundings are ready to switch the throttle hold of and go fly.
joebar.rc

Postby Andrej » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:45 am

O Joe! please do not say that you have never surpraised on motor arms ..
Yes the checklists is good practice came from big aviation, but you have to know that another great procedure from aviation are make it less dangerous.

The rule say - EVERY THING WHICH COUSE INCIDENT OR ACCIDENT MUST BE REMOVED.
This procedure is often the cause of flights resriction or full ban, until the cause is resolved.
And sure the checklists are the product of this great rule.

So...

ARMED MULTI WITHOUT SIGNS OF ARMING ARE DANGEROUS.
Andrej

Re: ARMED MULTI WITHOUT SIGNS OF ARMING ARE DANGEROUS

Postby joebar.rc » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:07 am

I can honestly say that indeed I never had a 'surprise' arming. But as I said, with 7kW heli's or 10kW airplanes that I also fly you never ever arm something without knowing, never.

Anyways, I personally find a spinning rotor just to show its armed stupid. That is the first thing I change in the mwii code. Arming is showed by external indicators and not by a rotor.
In next releases some code will probably be integrated for easy external signaling, LEDs, beepers or something.

But what you can do for example, if you insists, is use the throttle hold function on the transmitter to keep the throttle at the lowest arming point and set your throttle min point at for example 1200. Using it like that you need the throttle hold to arm and after arming you switch the throttle hold of and the motors start spinning.
Way better because then you know what you are doing. That is the way every helicopter is armed since way back
joebar.rc

Next

Return to AQ Firmware