[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - STARLIGHT - I2C RGB-LED controller for UAVs

STARLIGHT - I2C RGB-LED controller for UAVs

STARLIGHT - I2C RGB-LED controller for UAVs

Postby aBUGSworstnightmare » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:12 pm

Hi there,

just wanted to give you some update on the STARLIGHT I2C RGB-LED controller!
Finished the VLED tests (VLED = LED supply voltage) today. The unit will be rated at VLED = 3.6V to 17V (!). There is no increase/decrease in brightness over the hole VLED supply voltage range.

Here's the video showing the test setup (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnQYujm0W4A). Stay tuned, more info to come!

aBUGSworstnightmare

Here's the footage from the first announcement!
Hi guys,

once we have I2C in place I will have a nice 'lighting&signaling'-solution at hands too.
It's a small board with 4 RGB LEDs, some electronic components (classified at the moment ;) ) and a micro match connector for power supply and I2C connection. The unit fits under Pauls FCP motor mounts. Each PCB has it's own address and up to 14 were possible on one I2C bus. Since you can control each and every LED individually everything is possible (even flying disco balls :D )

aBUGSworstnightmare
aBUGSworstnightmare

STARLIGHT - Full setup done!

Postby aBUGSworstnightmare » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:36 pm

Hi there,

just want to give you a sneak preview on the current status of the STARLIGHT RGB-LED controller :P

I've completed the I2C splitter today and now a full STARLIGHT setup with 8 RGB-LED units is ready for testing.
The I2C splitter is needed because of the long bus lines. The I2C specification only allows a bus capacity of 400pF. To deal with this issue I've designed a active I2C backplane - the I2C splitter. It will give you 4 separated I2C busses with an allowable bus capacity of up to 1nF.
Test were conducted in a 5V configuration. I haven't decided yet if I will offer only a 3.3V version or if the user will be able to add (soldering a SOT-223 package) the LDO of his choice (5V or 3.3V).

Find some pictures of the splitter below. One of my DIVIDE et IMPERA! prototypes (multiWii flight cntroller) serves as a I2C master for testing. I will try to capture a video tomorrow and post it.
Stay tuned and you will 'see the light' :D

SANY0021.JPG
STARLIGHT test setup - full config with eight RGB-LED units. The IC2 splitter is mounted upside-down! When used on the craft it wll be in the lowest position in the electronics stack with the MicroMatch connectors (the red ones) facing down and the electronics side facing up.

SANY0019.JPG
STARLIGHT I2C bus splitter seen from above. JST connector for the LED supply voltage (can be connected to 3.6 - 17V). The picture shows the bottom side of the PCB.

aBUGSworstnightmare
aBUGSworstnightmare

Re: STARLIGHT - I2C RGB-LED controller for UAVs

Postby aBUGSworstnightmare » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:57 am

Hi,

I've uploaded a video of an 8 unit test setup to Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roAdWY0ph84

Rgds
aBUGSworstnightmare
aBUGSworstnightmare

Postby kinderkram » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:02 pm

Woohoo, what a light show! 8-)
Well done, Joerg.
kinderkram

Postby aBUGSworstnightmare » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:35 pm

Here's how to mount them to an FCP-frame from flyduino:

SANY0022.JPG
STARLIGHT RGB-unit on a FCP frame motor mount - side view

SANY0023.JPG
STARLIGHT RGB-unit on a FCP frame motor mount - bottom view

Joerg
aBUGSworstnightmare
aBUGSworstnightmare

Postby chschmid » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:49 pm

Hi Joerg

Do you sell the controller and the LED units?
If yes, I would be in for for a controller and 6 LED units for my new hexa.
BTW whath's the axial distance of the unit mounts? I guess 19.5mm is lateral when using Pauls tube mounts.
If you could provide the mount measurements, I could prepare the motormounts for adding the leds later.

Best
Christof
chschmid

Postby joebar.rc » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:43 pm

joebar.rc

Postby aBUGSworstnightmare » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:00 am

aBUGSworstnightmare

Return to For sale