[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - It flies!

It flies!

Info and discussion about the original AQ v6 flight controller

It flies!

Postby GoFaster » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:23 am

No that there was ever any doubt :D

I uploaded the generated params today and installed the props on the quad for the first time. After a overhead hand held test, I only had to reverse the pitch channel on my Tx. Then it was time for the maiden flight.

My observations based on a short flight in manual mode:

Super stable hover with default PID's. Just some slight drift with the breeze. Is there yaw heading lock in manual mode? A teeny bit of yaw drift - don't know whether it's crooked motor mount or Tx neutral trim.

Yaw rate is good. It overshoots after the stick is returned to center. The longer rudder is deflected, the more it overshoots.

Did not have enough room to see if pitch/roll behaves the same. Leveling rate is fast enough for me on this quad. It's not a sport flyer where I would like for it to snap back. Snappy response would not be desirable for a camera (stabilized gimbal) platform, I would think?

Throttle is sensitive but hover-able as long as my thumbs don't shake. I need to figure out my hover point and either go to a heli type curve with expo in the Tx, or preferably implement throttle expo in AQ. I know there is already dead band but that serves a different purpose.

Near the end I switched briefly into Position Hold. It did the oscillating jig, though in a perfect vertical line. There is a chunk of open cell foam over both pressure sensors. Needs tweaking.

Hopefully within the next day or two, I can get out to an open space with no trees or obstacles nearby for more test flights and tuning.

Thanks for the help so far. I'm sure I will have more as I embark on the tuning and flight testing phase. It's been a frutiful learning experience.

Here's the obligatory maiden video. Sorry about the quality - it was a keychain cam clipped to my hat, crooked and not really pointing at where I was looking + narrow field of view. Had to rotate the vid so the copter didn't look like it was always rising and falling at an angle :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQoFaw6reCE

Regards,
- Felix
GoFaster

Re: It flies!

Postby kinderkram » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:19 am

Aah!
I love to see success! :D

The video shows a cautious piloting at the beginning - you didn't trust her and that's good.

But then got confident pulling her strings - and she bounces up&down like pulled on a string.

Now for some PID tuning and trouble shooting (YAW rates):
http://autoquad.org/wiki/wiki/flying/tu ... leshooting ;)
kinderkram

Postby Lyagukh » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:31 am

Congrats, Felix! You deserve it!

Igor
On the Internet nobody knows you are a Frog
Lyagukh

Postby GoFaster » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:49 am

Norbert, that is the YoYo maneuver :)

Thanks Igor, and the rest of the team to bringing the AQ to where it is now.
I look forward to tuning, scary moments and learning more.

And the brain of the machine in it's ivory tower
P1020587_AQ.JPG
Hmmmm
GoFaster

Postby chschmid » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:48 am

Congratulation.
Nice frame and brave yoyo.

Best
Christof
chschmid

Postby kinderkram » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:10 am

kinderkram

Postby GoFaster » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:12 pm

Yes, that's the $33 Turnigy Heavy Arial (?) Lift frame from HK. It's beefy, simple and goes together precisely.

I decided to use the tail standoffs to create distance between the AQ and the rest of the electrical stuff. There is a polycarbonate dome that goes over the center plates so wind loading and turbulence should be minimal. I was concerned that the long lever arm effect might induce vibrations due to the mass of the AQ and GPS but they are so light...have to look at acc logs.

HAL-AQ-1.JPG

HAL-AQ-2.JPG
GoFaster

Postby GoFaster » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:40 am

Position hold and first RTH tests yesterday. See vid description.

I need to somehow match my hover throttle with the 'center hold' value of pos hold throttle. I hover at ~40% right now. Maybe it'll get better when the copter is at full weight since the gimbal and cam isn't installed yet. Right now, altitude changes as I flip in and out of Pos Hold so I have to quickly adjust throttle.
In the code, the center pos hold throttle value appears hard coded to be at 700 and override is scaled on either side of that, past the Deadband value.

I think I recall a post that RTH has to be triggered while in Position Hold? Can/should it be triggered while in Manual as long as Home Position has been preset? (EDIT: Wiki says either from Pos Hold or while stationary.)
Sometimes the copter arrives home at the correct horizontal coords but not at the Home altitude. I'll have to look into why.

Much more testing and understanding to be done :geek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb7HtQWq_VI
GoFaster

Postby GoFaster » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:03 pm

Another flight from same T&T session

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jZHSklOs80
GoFaster

Postby joebar.rc » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:27 pm

joebar.rc

Next