AQ6 stable flight without gps

Info and discussion about the original AQ v6 flight controller

Re: AQ6 stable flight without gps

Postby bluuu » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:54 pm

Fast switching back to manual mode can save ass. You must practice it.
bluuu

Postby aBUGSworstnightmare » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:14 am

johannes3154 wrote:Hey guys,
today i had a major drawback.
During the last week i added a landing gear and did some great flights during sunny days:-).
So i decided to do a test flight today after the rain. It was still cloudy. I got a HACC Gps reception of approx 0.68 and decided to take off. After the takeoff it lost gps 3d fix for a second and regained it. As soon as it lost the 3d fix i completly lost control, it started to tumble and to drift towards the trees. With some effort i was able to land it, but the touchdown made it fall to the side, while the props were still spinning. This cost me a kiss esc. After the next arming it started to burn with a bright flame:-((.

Is there a connection between your GPS antenna GND and your ground plane? I can't tell it from the picture.
You should connect the GPS antenna to the Ground plane to make it work as intended.
Maybe some humidity gut underneath the heat shrink tubing of that KISS ESC and caused a short circuit when arming.
Good thing is you could safely land the craft without any mayor damage.

johannes3154 wrote:I forgot about putting a sd card into the autoquad, so this is just a post with a psychological effect for me :D .

Yes, could help in finding the cause for this incident.

johannes3154 wrote:I recently bought 4 used esc32, can i use the logical part of them directly on 4s, or am i forced to add a bec?^^

ESC32V2 are fine with 4S supply. But since you're using a AQ6 you should opt for having it supplied with 5V from the flight controller.
You need to solder the jumper on the ESC to V5
and also solder the jumper to supply 5V to the motor outputs (marked with a circle in the pic; close it for all motor outputs you need)
Joerg
aBUGSworstnightmare

Postby johannes3154 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:57 pm

aBUGSworstnightmare wrote:
johannes3154 wrote:Hey guys,
today i had a major drawback.
During the last week i added a landing gear and did some great flights during sunny days:-).
So i decided to do a test flight today after the rain. It was still cloudy. I got a HACC Gps reception of approx 0.68 and decided to take off. After the takeoff it lost gps 3d fix for a second and regained it. As soon as it lost the 3d fix i completly lost control, it started to tumble and to drift towards the trees. With some effort i was able to land it, but the touchdown made it fall to the side, while the props were still spinning. This cost me a kiss esc. After the next arming it started to burn with a bright flame:-((.

Is there a connection between your GPS antenna GND and your ground plane? I can't tell it from the picture.
You should connect the GPS antenna to the Ground plane to make it work as intended.
Maybe some humidity gut underneath the heat shrink tubing of that KISS ESC and caused a short circuit when arming.
Good thing is you could safely land the craft without any mayor damage.

johannes3154 wrote:I forgot about putting a sd card into the autoquad, so this is just a post with a psychological effect for me :D .

Yes, could help in finding the cause for this incident.

johannes3154 wrote:I recently bought 4 used esc32, can i use the logical part of them directly on 4s, or am i forced to add a bec?^^

ESC32V2 are fine with 4S supply. But since you're using a AQ6 you should opt for having it supplied with 5V from the flight controller.
You need to solder the jumper on the ESC to V5
and also solder the jumper to supply 5V to the motor outputs (marked with a circle in the pic; close it for all motor outputs you need)
Joerg

Hi Jörg,
Thanks for the reply:).
The wiki says that u should consider to power the logic side via a 5v supply when using batteries above 3s.
I wonder if its more safe for the mainboard, in case of Esc failure, to power them seperatly.
For me the downside of powering the esc via the Mainboard is that if the Mainboard is not connected and powerd and i am connecting a lipo, i will just connect the power side of the escs and if i read the wiki correctly, this will destroy them.

The antennas ground is connected to the shield. I just put the hf cable and the ground wire in one heat shrink.

I will rebuild everything with can and Esc32 now and do a test flight with sdcard. :)
johannes3154

Postby johannes3154 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:50 pm

Hello Guys,
i did the upgrade to esc32 with can and got a very smooth an stable flight.
I did a couple of test flights with the tankquad pids, but i will try to set them closer to the default values.
The performance of the esc32 is very impressive, very smooths run, low noise and a nice sound:-)
Did some full stick inputs and the copter did good.:-)
But its all about good gps reception, thats what i've learned for now.
Next big step: Quatos, upgrade to X8 :D
Thanks for all your help.
johannes3154

Previous

Return to AutoQuad 6 Flight Controller