NASA competition - suitability of AQ6 or M4

Info and discussion about the original AQ v6 flight controller

Re: NASA competition - suitability of AQ6 or M4

Postby bn999 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:30 pm

AQ_OUTER_TIMESTEP evaluates to 200Hz for both the AIMU & DIMU.
bn999

Postby flomartel » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:16 am

I have already notified a number of you that the NASA competition has been cancelled. I forgot to provide a forum update on this... Thanks everyone for your time in reading my posts and answering my questions. I hope to be able to use AQ on other exciting projects!
flomartel

Postby ilyaprok » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:53 am

bn999 wrote:For a simple filter, you can usually tune it by hand (as I did with the new ALT UKF.) But, with more complex filters, it becomes nearly impossible. Recognizing this early on, I created an offline process which takes ground truth data and scores the filters estimates made during a flight based on the recorded measurements. The scoring is used by a parameter estimation UKF which estimates the ideal variances and other tunable parameters used by the onboard UKF.

So, if you want to add a new sensor or state to the UKF, to get optimal performance, this automated tuning would have to be re-run. Not a simple task as it requires some number of example flights showing all conditions that the filter would likely encounter and quite a bit of CPU time to run the simulations. And you have to make sure that your ground truth data has enough visibility on the system to constrain most of the predictions. A Vicon type system would make the job much easier, but I do not have such a tool - and they don't work outside very well.

Bill, could you tell me more about this process, or perhaps give references to such methods please. Thank you!
ilyaprok

Previous

Return to AutoQuad 6 Flight Controller