[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - Summary of my build experience...

Summary of my build experience...

Info and discussion about the original AQ v6 flight controller

Summary of my build experience...

Postby JussiH » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:36 pm

I thought I would do a vain attempt of summing up my experiences from building and setting up 5 AQ frames so far. Its probably a little fragmented, but please bear with me... ;)

First of all, dont get discouraged if you dont succeed at first. It took me 3 months to get the first to fly, but from then on it gets easier, and the tools have become much easier to use since we started.

Start out with 6.5, its very simple to upgrade to 6.6 once you have the calibration done. 6.6 is still "experimental"

I recommend starting out with a simple frame, 50 cm quad with 10" props is a good starting point and it will fly good on the default PID´s. Once you have the static procedure completed you can move the board to a new frame and repeat the "dancing" part without too much hassle.

Always keep the uSD card inserted when flying, not only will it provide vital clues on your tuning, but we cant help solve problems or bugs if you cant provide us with a logfile of the incident.

Pay attention to wiring of the frame, braid/twist all wires and avoid loops and hoops. In general, try to keep the power distribution away from the main board.

The GPS antenna wire can be ripped out of the plug if you dont take care when removing the antenna. I have like 4-5 antennas lying around without IPEX plugs anymore to prove that point. Just keep a decent pair of mechanic tweezers in your toolbox and you will be fine.

If using reflashed OEM ESC´s, calibrate throttle often! Autoquad need well balanced ESC´s with high motor refresh rate. ESC32 is recommended, but a F30 or similar with a SimonK FW will work well too. Atmel-based ESC´s with internal oscillators are NOT recommended!

I have always mounted the boards on plastic standoffs without any form of vibration dampening. Using rubber standoffs did not work for me, and is not recommended. Balance props (and motors if you can).

Get some form of wireless telemetry setup (Bluetooth, Xbee or similar), and use an android phone or a small laptop to confirm that you have a steady HUD before taking off the first time. Its also a vital tool to change PID settings with.

Pay attention to your mixers and IMU rotation parameters. The default in the release code is 45 degrees IMU rotation, denominated by the diagonal arrow in the front right corner of the board. You will be able to take off with a wrong IMU rotation, and fly (sortoff), but it will come down again when stabilisation overcompensates at a 45 degree angle. This recently cost me a broken boom and two CF rotors on the 950 hexa - simply because I forgot to check IMU rotation and just took off after a FW flash.

Keep backups of your files! Especially the params-file from the calibration process, but I also keep the files from the calibration process.

In my last calibration of a board for a medium sized hexa, I had to use the ziplock bag method to avoid condensation. It worked extremely well, so I am gonna do that from now on and I recommend you do the same.

For tuning the attitude PID, you mainly need to tune rate and angle D. In smaller frames (8" props) you usually have to lover rate and angle D by up to 50 percent, while larger frames/props will need slightly higher rate/angle D to fly well. But again, start out with a "normal" frame and in most cases the default PID will work well, provided your IMU is properly calibrated.

If you want to test the newest featues and have complete control of your setup, I recommend getting the personal license for Crossworks. I dont code as such, but more than once it has been handy to be able to change something in the source and recompile.

Thats what I can think of right now... :?:
Last edited by JussiH on Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
JussiH

Build list

Postby JussiH » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:01 am

All of my AQ builds (except the most recent hexa build) have been crashed and repaired at least once - everytime has been due to setup or operator error :!:

Here is a quick summary of the builds I have done since starting with Autoquad.

The first one was a 50CM "warthox" quad with 920kv/EPP1045 and some reflashed plush ESC´s (not recommended) I only flew that one with 6.1 FW (before we got the F4). It has since been cannibalized for another project an the controller rebuilt with an F4 MCU and a LEA-6T GPS module. It flew very well on default PID, once I had calibrated it properly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z_a_UMb-Jg

Watch out for operator stupidity in the end of the vid... ;)

The next ones was the prototype "Envy" 950 Hexa and Quad frames designed by KDR.
EQH.jpg
"Envy" 950mm Quad and Hexa by KDR designs

Quad setup:
5010 pancake 650 KV motors, 15,7" smartprops, Mystery Blue 20A ESC´s on 3S. AUW is circa 1000 grams without battery. Usually flies on 1 or 2 2200 3S with flight times of 10-18 minutes
The 650KV with 15.7" props is a bad combo, and needs to be limited to avoid bogging of the motors. But otherwise this machine is very stable. I add about 15 percent rate D to compensate for the slow turning rotors in this setup.

Hexa setup:
380 KV 5010 pancake motors with 15.7" smartprops on 4S. ESC32 1v5. AUW about 1600 grams with 4000 4S.
Flies well on default PID but also benefits from 10-15 percent more rate D and a slightly higher angle P and D to compensate for the slow turning rotors. Flight times is about 18-20 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x32lK31Upg

Next build was SebastianJ´s CMQ330 prototype folding Quad design. This one is slightly on the small side, and some power cables are routed very close to the main board, so its been hard to calibrate properly. Generally I dont recommend trying this small a frame, unless it has better power distribution than this one. But it is quite handy for travelling and takes a gopro or pocket cam with ease and flies for 10 minutes on a 2200 3S
CMQ330.jpg
CMQ330 by SebastianJ

MT2208-12 1100KV with EPP0845CF, ESC32 1r5, 3S 2200, AUW circa 800 grams with battery.
Needs about 50 percent decrease of rate and angle D to fly well.

My most recent build is a medium cheeseplate Hexa with 2208-12 Suppo motors, ESC32 2r1 and 0845 props. Built to take a pocket cam or small DSLR and a 4000 4S with an AUW of about 1400-1500 grams.
hexa.jpg
Flyduino Cheeseplate Hexa frame. Perfect travel companion...

This one needed a decrease of about 20 percent on rate D and 10 percent on angle D to fly stable and smooth. I am bringing this and the CMQ330 on vacation and hope to get some nice vids....
JussiH

Re: Summary of my build experience...

Postby plexus » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:50 am

Many thanks for yours info and the video. :o
plexus

Postby s_sergiu » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:08 pm

Thank you for the info.
I was using also 15'' prop and motors+ quad CFK frame from smartdrones. Only one prop. was balanced.
For the rest of the propellers I had to cut in the CNC machine little bit from the hub to balance them.Motors were also vibrating. However at the end, all four motors + propellers were still vibrating .I use my own AP with ADXRS453 so vibration was not such a big issue, however i could not increase D to much, because of this vibrations.
What I seen was that even flight time was increasing and propellers were making very low noise, in gusting wind this type of low rpm quad seem to me more unstable than normal 10x45 prop quad.

Cheers,
Sergiu
s_sergiu

Re: Build list

Postby aBUGSworstnightmare » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:21 pm

aBUGSworstnightmare

Re: Build list

Postby axelnied » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:31 pm

axelnied

Postby chris24g » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:58 am

chris24g

Postby kinderkram » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:03 am

Only for the development package.
I've uploaded new hex files with ROT = 0 and FRAME = 0 (custom)

If you want to use the dev package to compile it yourself you can change it easily in the config_default.h
kinderkram

Postby afernan » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:30 pm

Very interesting post.Thanks.
I´d like you could put some images about how to locate ESC in best position about interferences.
Angel
afernan

Return to AutoQuad 6 Flight Controller