[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - Putting the AQ in a box?

Putting the AQ in a box?

Info and discussion about the original AQ v6 flight controller

Putting the AQ in a box?

Postby hogster » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:30 pm

Hi all :)

Provided I leave holes for the barometer, LEDs and the FTDI pins, I'm wondering if it's a good idea to encase the AQ in a plastic box to keep it protected from the elements? Like this:

http://uk.farnell.com/hammond/1591xxmsb ... dp/1877176

Many thanks for any feedback,

David :)
Last edited by hogster on Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
hogster

Re: Putting the AQ in a box?

Postby hogster » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:51 am

Further to this question, would it be beneficial for such a box to be mounted on vibration damping pillars such as these?

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/stud-mounts/7203293/

Many thanks :)

David
hogster

Postby Max » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:18 am

Hi David,

First question -- sure, if you want to. There was also a 3D print design of an AQ protection box around here at some point (maybe it's on Shapeways). Many people like to put a clear dome over the whole electronics stack, so the indicator lights, etc, can still be visible.

The dampeners, probably not so good. Typically soft mounts make things worse. It might work better if the AQ board was mounted to a heavy block of something (aluminum, etc). But often you'll get some vibrations amplified instead of dampened, and typically it's less predictable than a hard mount. YMMV, as they say. :)

-Max
Max

Postby hogster » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:21 am

Hi Max, thanks for the reply :)

Yes I must say I've never had much success damping vibration just using mounts – they have to be designed for exactly the right frequencies or they often make things worse.

I will probably go ahead with the box, maybe I can find a clear one that would allow me to still see the lights easily from all angles.

I will then mount said box on ~10mm nylon standoffs on top of the frame.

Thanks for your feedback!

David :)
hogster

Postby kinderkram » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:49 am

kinderkram

Postby hogster » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:42 pm

Thanks for the link Norbert :) It's pretty expensive though! The box I was looking at is £3.12 :D

Also I was wanting to use a box to protect the AQ from dust and other dirt flying around in the atmosphere – this Shapeways part seems to be completely open on all sides?

Cheers,

David

Edit: I've found a couple of other boxes from RS if anyone was thinking of trying this:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/instrument-cases/7733173/
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/instrument-cases/7733160/
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/general-p ... s/3815186/
hogster

Postby hogster » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:06 pm

Just to bring this thread to a conclusion, I bought this box in the end:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/instrument-cases/7733173/

and the AQ *just* fits inside it. I cut various openings for the PWM and FTDI connections, and so that I could get access to the MicroSD card and see the LEDs ... I'm very pleased with it :)

Although I think it should be renamed PagodaQuad when used with that GPS shield :lol:

Cheers!

David
hogster

Postby kinderkram » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:37 am

Yeah, looks like one of those Asian huts on lakes. :D

66x66 is a good size for a box. Nice.
kinderkram

Return to AutoQuad 6 Flight Controller