[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - CarbonCore Cortex X8 - AQ suitability?

CarbonCore Cortex X8 - AQ suitability?

Info and discussion about the original AQ v6 flight controller

CarbonCore Cortex X8 - AQ suitability?

Postby hogster » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:39 pm

Hi all :)

I'm looking to purchase a CarbonCore Cortex X8 (Google CarbonCore Cortex – I can't post a link yet as I'm too new here!) and a brushless gimbal to use for aerial photography / videography, and I plan to use the AutoQuad as the flight controller.

Can anyone see any reasons why this wouldn't be a good idea? :) The AQ seems incredibly flexible so I imagine it should be possible to get this type of setup working superbly? I'm looking at the ARTF Cortex which comes with 40-size Tiger motors (I think, made for CarbonCore), 40A 400Hz ESCs (not sure of the brand), 15x5" Tiger V2 props on top and 16x5.4" Tiger V2 props on the bottom. One thing to note is all the top props rotate anticlockwise, and all the bottom props rotate clockwise – that shouldn't be an issue I assume?

I've put one other question on this forum already, but thought I would also put it here. Are new AQ boards now 6S compatible or would I still have to replace the Recom regulators myself to do this?

I'm excited by the potential of the AQ, and the demo videos I've seen so far have been extremely impressive. I'm a little concerned by the crash reports I've heard, but I've been trying to follow the threads to understand why they occur.

Many thanks for your support :)

David
hogster

Re: CarbonCore Cortex X8 - AQ suitability?

Postby kinderkram » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:57 am

Hi David,
I don´t see a reason why it shouldn´t work with this X8: http://shop.carboncore.co.uk/Cortex

As for the motor mixing we prefer a so to say "2xQuad" setup like shown here:
http://autoquad.org/wiki/wiki/getting-s ... xing-table

Norbert
kinderkram

Postby hogster » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:51 am

Hi Norbert,

Many thanks for your reply!

That's good to hear :) One of the first things I did was to check out the Wiki, and I noticed there wasn't a 'double-quad' preset which has all the same props on top and the opposite on the bottom (the two Octo X8s in the mixing table both have alternating prop directions on each arm). However, I see from the Wiki that you can easily program custom motor directions into the software mixing table, so all should be good :)

I spent a good while reading through the Wiki last night and found answers to many of my other questions too - thanks for all the efforts that have gone into it!

Do you know about the regulator issue for 6S at all?

Many thanks again,

David :)
hogster

Postby kinderkram » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:24 am

6s isn´t a problem, David.
You can either use a UBEC that matches the input voltages of the AQ or use other Recomms and resistors like other users did:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=2734
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=2406

I prefer the UBEC since I need one for the 12V cam input anyway...
Similar to this one: http://www.ebay.de/itm/12V-3A-BEC-w-CNC ... 3a899e218a
kinderkram

Postby hogster » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:47 am

Hi Norbert,

Thanks for your reply.

I thought the idea was to monitor the flight batteries directly using the AQ (as opposed to a regulated feed) as the control algorithms compensate for the change in battery voltage as the flight packs discharge?

Many thanks,

David
hogster

Postby Max » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:09 pm

Max

Postby hogster » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:53 pm

Hi Max,

Interesting point you raise there, and indeed I raised it with the manufacturer - surely you'll get different torque from the top props vs the bottom props as they're different diameters, different pitches and are operating in different types of air... Unfortunately it's not possible to convert the setup away from the mirrored quad design as you can only get 15x5 and 16x5.4 props from Tiger, and it's advantageous to have the higher pitch props on the bottom :( Guess I'll have to see if I experience a yaw imbalance and adjust the mixing table accordingly.

Many thanks,

David :)
hogster

Postby Max » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:08 pm

Hi David, nice to see you here BTW, welcome 8-)

Ah, I must have missed that it has to be set up a certain way. Are the top/bottom motors different also? I know the theory of bigger/steeper props on bottom is good, but I've yet to hear of it working in practice (especially given limited prop selections and patience levels :) ).

Other thing I can't see on any of their photos... where's the flight controller? Inside the frame, next to the ESCs? I don't think the AQ mag sensors are gonna like that :( Or are you planning on mounting the FC on top?

Cheers,
-Max
Max

Postby hogster » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:26 pm

Hi Max, thanks for the welcome :)

I believe the motors are all the same, it's just the props that are different (15x5 anticlockwise on the top, 16x5.4 clockwise on the bottom).

They intend all the flight avionics to go between the two plates – the 8 ESCs mount vertically, a pair per cooling hole to get air flowing over them. The flight controller just goes in the gaps!

These are the only build photos I've found on the web, and you can see where he's mounted the controller:

http://www.fotosvonoben.at/carboncore-built-up-4/

Presumably it's best to get the flight controller as far from the ESCs as possible?

As you can see in the finished photos the top is very empty as that's where they intend you to put the flight batteries. Do you think in the middle of top plate would be best?

Many thanks for your feedback, it's much appreciated :)

David
hogster

Postby Max » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:39 pm

All those shiny silver pieces are the FC? :o j/k... I'd seen some of his pics but not the 4th (or 5th) posts.

So yeah, I don't see where the AQ would go inside that frame... It really wants to be centered, and at least somewhat removed from the ESCs and power distribution board/wires. You'll find much on that topic in the forums I think. I guess I'd try to figure out how to mount it on top... looks like plenty of room. That will also get it closer to the GPS antenna. Having batteries right next to the AQ mags might not be great either... but again looks like lots of room to experiment on that rig.

As for the props... I don't see why they have to be different sizes? In http://www.fotosvonoben.at/carboncore-c ... uild-up-5/ it looks like same size props to me... (plus a reference to making it a "true" X8, whatever that means).

Cheers,
-Max
Max

Next

Return to AutoQuad 6 Flight Controller